HELP! Turbo Bike dying at 5K RPM?

Cecil_Stringer

Donating Member
Registered
The bike was running fine, short of a boost leak on the top side of the up pipe (Note: up-pipe tubing is not long enough...).

Fixed that (on the side of the road in the middle of the night ;) )and immediately notice the bike surging on boost.
Thought there may be another leak so I rode it home to investigate.
No visible leaks found.

I can get the boost gauge to read 0 - 1psi before it starts happening.
THen it falls on its nose...

Sounds like it's either starving for fuel or has a leak...

It will not rev past about 5 - 6K without struggling.

Any ideas?

Just double checked and tightened all of the blue couplings.
Took it for a ride... same thing.

It appears to really start to struggle around 6 - 7K RPMS (earlier I stated 5 - 6).

I see the boost gauge climb to between 5-7 PSI before it starts to sputter.

When I switch to high boost, same thing except it appears to happen a little sooner.

It also appears to require a load to recreate the issue.

If going 20mph, I shift to 3rd and roll-on.
It will sound fine till around 6K RPM... then it starts failling apart.
By the time it reaches 7500 RPM it is in a total hemmorage :be:

THis happened before and after tinkering around with couplings we were able to resolve the issue.

I also validated that the computer (Velocity... not stocker) has lights on when I turn on the ignition.

Does this sound like a boost leak?

Or does it sound like what a few have mentioned above... an issue with the Black Box?

Can I disconnect the black box and run it on low boost to see if it acts any better?

Or would that be ill-advised?

I want to believe that is what it is just a boost leak... any suggestions or input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cecil

Just returned from test ride number 684...

Preliminary results are positive.
I was able to do a second gear roll on with out breakin-up.
Gonna change the oil and take it for a more comprehensive test ride.

Details to follow...

Cross your fingers, Say a Prayer, Rub the belly of Buddah or what ever...

so it will go past 5k in second?

you running secondarys?

if so they might not be coming on
sad.gif

IT'S ALIVE!

Not sure exactly what it was... I monkey'd with so much it's hard to tell.

I did find a hole in the hose that comes off the top of the BOV :conf:

Anyway, it is running without breaking up.
Not completely sure on the power...

I have tried a few times to get the front to come up... so far I have not been successful.
Could be the swingarm, thus the tire spinnin...
But even with that, I would expect some lift on the front... so far... nothin.

It seems to pull pretty hard... but nothing earth-shattering.

I am also creeping on both low and high boost.
I found a hole in the hose that leads into the top of the wastegate... I'm all out hose.
I will likely replace it tomorrow and see if it corrects the creap issues.

Thanks everyone that I have been driving nuts with this for you patience and assistance... I really appreciate it.

I will likely take it to the dyno in the very near future and spend some time dailing it in.

I'll keep posting the progress.

Thanks again!

make sure you tie off your hoses so they aren't flopping around and touching the header.... touching a scorching hot header even for a second or two could put a hole in a hose.

It's happening again...

There must be a connection, something common.

Previously I was not successful at definatively diagnosing the root cause.

Here's a link to the most recent thread on the issue...

Thanks in advance.

My bike is doing this same thing now Cecil and the secondary fuel rail is not kicking in we are trying to find the problem but my bike dose exactly what yours did as described above but my bike has only worked good once then tuned then road and it is doing what you stated and have found it to be the seconday fuel rail is not working. i have updated to a new black box over my silver and thats when it was working now it's back to not working along with my water injection which is tied into them injectors. my mechanic is gona be on the phone with Barry from Velocity or Frank in the morning i will let you know what they come up with and hope that will help ya out if anything you can PM me and we can go over some of the finer details and what i have been fighting on my stage 2 kit Just pm me your number and i'll give you a jingle alright

But you best not be riding the bike much at all or you could smoke your motor man its running way lean i know mine was
wow.gif

Back