Oil Leak from Stator/Altenator Cover?

btreaves

Registered
What's up fellas,

I've got a 2000 BUSA with over 35k miles on the clock and recently it begain leaking oil out of the bottom of the stator/altenator cover.  I'm speaking of the black cover on the left side of the bike as you sit on it.  There is a hole cut out of the fairing for it.

Anyway I know it is leaking there, but the problem is it seems as if the oil leaking from there is blowing back all over the motor back as far as my mid exhaust pipe and to my swing arm.  I have sprayed the entire bottom end of the motor down with brake cleaner and taken it out for a ride and when I get back home the oil is all over the bottom of the motor again...It only seems to leak if I put alot of load on the motor, but it won't spread the oil around if I just run it in my drive way...I'm hoping that the oil is being blown or sucked all of the motor, cuz I hope it's not leaking from anywhere else.

Has anyone else had there stator/altenator cover leak and experienced this much oil blow by?  I've got a couple of gaskets on the way...I'm gonna use 2 gaskets and some Hylomar from Permatex to hopefully cure the problem.

Thanks in advance!

<!--EDIT|btreaves
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096207683 -->

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Although I think 2 gaskets is overkill. Just change the gasket and torque the bolts down to their specs and I'm sure your problem will be solved. Good luck.

Brian

Yeah 1 gasket should be more than enough if the problem persists, replace the stator cover entirely like 68 buks on ebay

What's up fellas,

I've got a 2000 BUSA with over 35k miles on the clock and recently it begain leaking oil out of the bottom of the  stator/altenator cover.  I'm speaking of the black cover on the left side of the bike as you sit on it.  There is a hole cut out of the fairing for it.

Anyway I know it is leaking there, but the problem is it seems as if the oil leaking from there is blowing back all over the motor back as far as my mid exhaust pipe and to my swing arm.  I have sprayed the entire bottom end of the motor down with brake cleaner and taken it out for a ride and when I get back home the oil is all over the bottom of the motor again...It only seems to leak if I put alot of load on the motor, but it won't spread the oil around if I just run it in my drive way...I'm hoping that the oil is being blown or sucked all of the motor, cuz I hope it's not leaking from anywhere else.

Has anyone else had there stator/altenator cover leak and experienced this much oil blow by?  I've got a couple of gaskets on the way...I'm gonna use 2 gaskets and some Hylomar from Permatex to hopefully cure the problem.

Thanks in advance!
check the black gromet looking piece w/ 3 wires on the right side of the stator cover. mine was oozing a little oil from there. i used gasket maker to stop the ooz. if that's the culprit, you still need to open the cover then seal it from the inside of the gromet piece. you will also need a new stator cover gasket.

I changed the gasket last night...It was very simple...After I removed the bolts the cover just popped right off...No fuss no muss really...Just had to pull the old gasket away...It was pretty brittle. After that I slapped the new gaskets on (I used 2) along with the hylomar for extra measure and snugged all the bolts down.

It's raining like hell around here, so I won't get a chance to ride it and check it for leaks until tonight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It doesn't seem to leak unless the motor is under heavy load.

Good on ya dude, but 2 gaskets?
rock.gif
You must use two condoms when you...er...uhh...well, you know what I mean.
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Under the impression Stator covers was a problem area for the busa. Service manual will have you put silicon gasket sealer on the crankcase split butt joints and on electrical rubber boot. Did that and it leaked.
Using silicon gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket. Entire 360 degrees solved the leak. Bone dry ever since.
One precaution is not getting too much gasket sealer inside the bolt threads hole. I had one bolt wouldn't tighten down cause gasket sealer had filled the bolt hole thread area. Hydrolic pressure wouldn't allow the bolt to go all the way in.

I do use two condoms, but only when I'm screwing your girl. Did she tell you?

She's a double bagger and doesn't wash as well as she should, so I don't take any chances of that stank a$$ getting onto my Mr. Happy.

LMAO!

Back