HELP tire change gone wrong?

Slowstang305

Registered
Just had a dealer change my rear tire because they put it on backwards. I drove 20 miles because my chain was hitting my frame to find this.... what did they do wrong? If anyone can explain it I’m sitting at a gas station waiting on a tow call me 954 650 2711 please!

F9BE1EEF-9479-4F1B-9493-9F2FE7DD879E.jpeg

What a bummer I would be disappointed to Looks like a loose wheel Bearing cover and the wheel spacer may have been installed wrong hence the rubbing on the swing-arm ? good luck :thumbsup:

Update:
Just got towed back to the dealer. The mechanic came out and said that my bearings blew simple as that. I asked him if he thought it was weird that they blew 20 min after he changed that tire to which he said nothing. At first the manager told me it would be on me but finally said he would order the bearings and do the install for free. I told him I do not trust the mechanic who installed my tire backwards the first time, then my bearings blew the second time he touched it. He said he would do them himself and make sure it’s done right. The chain was hitting the rubber chain guard on the frame. Another mechanic came to me and said that looks normal. I said it’s normal for a properly tensioned chain to hit the frame? This is ridiculous I swear. Can’t wait to get this bike out of here. I work on cars but no motorcycle experience but that stops today. Going to start learning all about them.

So, simple story from my own dealer tire change a few years ago. They left out the spacer on the right side of the axle, I lost the bearing on the highway and ruined the wheel, brake disc, and pads. I towed it to dealer in the town I broke down in, they repaired it after consulting with the dealer that did the work. I still had to pay out of pocket to the dealer that did the repair work and then went back to the dealer that did the original work and got my money back. If you can, always remove the wheels yourself and take in the rim for the change. The only reason I took it in in the first place was for a fork seal service and had them change tires while it was in. I dont truck anyone wrenching on my bike. Well except for a few guys on this board.

That’s the reason I’ve spent so
Much money on tools and my own tire changer. I might mess it up and hurt myself, but at least I won’t have anyone to blame but me. Hope they make it right and that you can get the needed tools, stands and all that to start wrenching on your own bike.

the so called mechanic should got fired and in the future he should only shovel sand.

what a crap can happen. damn !

such a fault can be deathifying !

Thanks all for your responses. The manager is taking care of the repair on their dime and doing the work himself. I'm absolutely appalled that their response to me was "bearings can go at any moment" when he had just put my tire on and adjusted the chain etc. Blah, im just glad im still alive to type this and the wheel didn't seize up.

Another mechanic came to me and said that looks normal. I said it’s normal for a properly tensioned chain to hit the frame?
If the bike is not moving and the chain is properly tensioned the chain should look kind of loose. It gets tighter when you sit on it and from centrifugal force when the bike is at speed. My chain definitely droops down on the bottom run when parked. From the first pic in the tutorial linked below, when properly tensioned for street riding, my top run does lay on the chain guide with the bike parked. Easy to check chain slack with a ruler. Just a couple pounds of pressure pushing up measure the top run travel then do the same on the bottom run. Add the two together for total chain slack. takes a little practice but don't fool yourself into pushing/pulling hard on the chain when you measure. A little loose is fine for street riding. TIGHT is bad. It should not be stretched like a rubber band while parked. Max tight is only if you bottom out your rear suspension.

So, simple story from my own dealer tire change a few years ago.

I have one too. The first and last tire change I ever had a shop do, I sa the guy throw my rear wheel on the floor making it do a wobbly orbit on the tire edge a few times. That was with the rotor facing down so no contact fortunately. Still looked awfully foolish to do right in front of a customer. Poor guy probably got canned over that the Prez was right there and he knew how fussy I was with my bikes. Never saw that kid after that. No matter, I never went back for service. I do it all myself now. Tires are a bitch to install without damaging the rim until you have done it several times. That's about the only thing I would suggest a guy have done at a shop, tires. A certified independent shop is probably a lot better than a dealership.

the so called mechanic should got fired and in the future he should only shovel sand
Sucks when you pay the kind of money that dealers want and you get this kind of work...

Yes to both and all such comments. You gotta remember the stress these guys are under with specified time limits to do particular jobs. I love wrenching but that would ruin my job if I were a mechanic. I'm slow as all heck but it's always perfect or darned near.

Last edited:
@mabupa

sorry

"stress ... with specified time limits to do particular jobs"

can´t be an argument / an excuse to do crap - never and nowhere.
Basta ! our health depends on it !

if a mechanic can´t stand stress, he is in the wrong job.

caused by the horrendous prices that shops often call out (a real good buddy payed 540 € around 1,5 years ago to a suzuki shop for 2 new tires for his k8 and i - figuratively - kicked his ass as hard as possible for that)

i then bought this tire mounting machine set from www.max2h.com/en (the biggest set they offer) .

with just a little practice, this is really going very well now .

and extremely important - I ! know the correct torques that the screws, bolts and nuts when tightened again must have because I have the right manual.
if i have the manual NOT , i leave my fingers off the type of motorcycle unknown to me untill i got the fitting manual !
a normal tire dealer, on the other hand, cannot know all these Nm at all - with hundreds of different motorcycles on the market, he is simply overwhelmed.

the danger of tearing out a thread or tearing off a bolt is too big to put torque on as usual.

or he has - again figuratively - a library with 200 squre yards of floor space filled with four-story shelves.

You only have the chance of correctly tightened screws, bolts and nuts if you take care of the manual yourself and really write out all the necessary torques there, take this note to the dealer and then make sure that they are complied with.
and never move away from the motorcycle more than 2 yd

@mabupa

sorry

"stress ... with specified time limits to do particular jobs"

can´t be an argument / an excuse to do crap - never and nowhere.
Basta ! our health depends on it !

if a mechanic can´t stand stress, he is in the wrong job.

caused by the horrendous prices that shops often call out (a real good buddy payed 540 € around 1,5 years ago to a suzuki shop for 2 new tires for his k8 and i - figuratively - kicked his ass as hard as possible for that)

i then bought this tire mounting machine set from www.max2h.com/en (the biggest set they offer) .

with just a little practice, this is really going very well now .

and extremely important - I ! know the correct torques that the screws, bolts and nuts when tightened again must have because I have the right manual.
if i have the manual NOT , i leave my fingers off the type of motorcycle unknown to me untill i got the fitting manual !
a normal tire dealer, on the other hand, cannot know all these Nm at all - with hundreds of different motorcycles on the market, he is simply overwhelmed.

the danger of tearing out a thread or tearing off a bolt is too big to put torque on as usual.

or he has - again figuratively - a library with 200 squre yards of floor space filled with four-story shelves.

You only have the chance of correctly tightened screws, bolts and nuts if you take care of the manual yourself and really write out all the necessary torques there, take this note to the dealer and then make sure that they are complied with.
and never move away from the motorcycle more than 2 yd
Pretty sure Mythos ment take the wheel off the just take that to a tire shop and have them change the tire. Then you take it back home and reinstall it yourself. That way all wheel bearings and fasteners can be checked by the person who is putting their life on the line. At least that is the way I do it. I can change a tire but hate doing it.

Pretty sure Mythos ment take the wheel off the just take that to a tire shop and have them change the tire. Then you take it back home and reinstall it yourself. That way all wheel bearings and fasteners can be checked by the person who is putting their life on the line. At least that is the way I do it. I can change a tire but hate doing it.
That's what I do as well....I stay there when they change the tire and the work shop has a great big viewing window....the techs are great there..

That's what I do as well....I stay there when they change the tire and the work shop has a great big viewing window....the techs are great there..

do you have a list (similar to mine in german below) of the necessary torques for the mechanics or do you really trust that they will torque them right?
if you really trust them, it might be a big mistake.

Torques for removing and installing wheels :
ehmomente%20Aus-%20und%20Einbau%20R%C3%A4der_Liste.jpg

do you have a list (similar to mine in german below) of the necessary torques for the mechanics or do you really trust that they will torque them right?
if you really trust them, it might be a big mistake.

Torques for removing and installing wheels :
View attachment 1613511
I do all the torqueing as I take the wheels off and put them back on myself, all the shop does is change the tires.

Yep, if you can find a trustworthy shop that won't damage the rims, it's a heck of a lot easier to let them do it with a hydraulic powered tire changer. For real, it takes me a full day to do my own tires with tire irons. I still managed to put a couple very small scratches on the bead. Use milk bottles to slide the irons in over when you insert them. Of course that doesn't replace some kind of good rim protector to pry against when the tire is lifted over the rim. You know, tire changing by yourself entails a little danger too. Those irons can fly out. I don't have three hands so I use wire to hold the irons down while working the other.

I have plans to get a Cycle Hill tire changer. I am told here on this forum those still are not as easy as the videos look but better than tire irons alone.

Back