Rear Tire Change; Avon Storms 2

MEBusa

Registered
I changed my own rear tire, with a Cycle Hill, No-Mar tire changer. It was definately an interesting, challenging, educational, first time, experience. The instructions, that came with the changer, (on "tire changing techniques"), are well written. I used it step by step during the change. However, I should have watched the supplied DVD, that came with the changer, because I missed some valuable information, by not doing so at first.

Once, I locked the wheel onto the changer, the old tire removal part, was really easy. No problems there. I put the new tire over the rim, & the bottom lip of the new tire, went onto the rim fairly easy as well. Oh yea, going good! The only thing left, was to get the top lip of the tire, beneath the top lip of the rim.

Where I went wrong: I proceeded to mount the tire, with the demount bar. It appeared to be going well, to about half way around the tire. As I would hold the tire down, with my left hand (as the instructions said), while pulling the bar around, & at the same time pushing it around, with my hip, I just couldn't keep the backside of the tire to stay beneath the top lip of the rim. Now I'm getting frustrated ??? And almost regretting buying the changer, in the first place :banghead: So I took a break, and decided to call No-Mar.

I got a woman on the phone (I should have gotten her name). I told her, what was happening, & she immediately said, "I know exactly what is happening". She said, "we face this issue all the time, & have changed many sport bike tires down in daytona". The key technique I was missing (which was not well explained in the paper instructions, but is clearly illustrated on the DVD :banghead:), was to push down fairly hard on the tire, with the left hand, so that it locks itself under the "bead" that's on the flat part of the rim (on the inside, not the top lip). When I did that, and started pulling the mounting bar around, sure enough, the tire was locking itself (or staying), in that position. I got the bar all the way around, to about a little less than a quarter of the way, before it got really stiff & hard to pull. I then used a long handled screw driver (the wrong tool for the job), that I wrapped in duct tape, to keep from scratching the rim, to pull the remaining lip of the tire, over & under the top lip of the rim. No-Mar sells a 16" tire iron, that I should have ordered, with the changer. I'll get one before the next tire change for sure. Big thanks to No-Mar for such a well made product, & great support :thumbsup:.

That was it. I poured 2ozs of Dynabeads, with the supplied applicator, through the valve stem. Screwed the stem back on, & 42psi of air pressure later, I reinstalled the wheel onto the bike :laugh:. Front tire is next & I'm ready.

Cycle Hill Tire Changer build here...

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860181629_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860183035_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860184735_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860186211_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860187701_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860193015_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860194897_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860196591_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860199845_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860201513_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860204791_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860210553_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860215137_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860216819_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860218301_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860221619_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860223481_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860162791_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860164017_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860165325_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860166915_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860168523_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860170123_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860171621_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860172817_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860174481_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860176169_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860178053_o.jpg

Hayabusa Tire Change_6860179805_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of doing it yourself and you just did. Congrats. Tiller and I changed 4 of them this last weekend on my old Harbor Freight stand with the No Mar Mount / De Mount bar. Good stuff.

Thank you all for the replies. Yea, I noticed the pictures failed, after I posted the thread. Sorry about that.

I should have given you one word of advice. Don't even look at those brake rotors, much less touch them. They warp very easily and use to run about $250 a rotor 6 years ago. Great job. If you have a large C clap you can use that to help keep the tire off the bead until you get the tire on. I'm jealous :laugh:

Sweet changer. I just ordered the "old school" MotionPro tire changing kit (nothing like that sweet setup). Are you using 2 oz. of dynabeads for the front tire too or 1 oz.?

I warped my rotors and found out how much they were an warped back in the other direction:laugh:

Thanks for the advice on the break rotors. I'll remember that, on the next change.

@RedFalco using 1oz dynabeads for the front tire. At least that's what the Invitrogen company specify for that size tire.

I'm curious! You warped your rotor with the mount/demount bar, pulling on top of it, while trying to install a tire?

Back