help, need info on exhaust install

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
I'm in the middle of installing new exhaust on the busa. Have the old header off and in the process of putting the new header on. I can't seem to get it up as high as it needs to be because of the lines to my oil cooler. I have the radiator and oil cooler removed from their brackets and moved up towards the front forks but wasn't wanting to have to remove them all together.

Anyone remember any links where there are pics for the header install? I've not had any luck with the search option.

I had put a full Muzzy on my 03 a couple of months ago. We really had no problems other than we had to bend one of the tubes about a 1/4'' to the left side. We just held one side and pulled the other way on the afficted tube, but they went up to where they were supposed to be. We only loosened the oil cooler and rad. Did not remove. Good luck...Mike

Thanks for the input guys, I went back out after posting and after a break away from it it fell into place. I guess I just wasn't holding my mouth right. Got it installed and back together with exception of the plastic.

Zip tie the rad and cooler up forward and out of the way as far as possible to give yourself some room.:thumbsup:

I would double check your clearances on that pipe, there is more than one thread where "muzzy" owners have had "abrasion" issues with the cooler lines and the header.. Have not seen one installed myself...

I would double check your clearances on that pipe, there is more than one thread where "muzzy" owners have had "abrasion" issues with the cooler lines and the header.. Have not seen one installed myself...

Thanks for the heads up, I'll double check everything before I put the plastic back on.

I would just take a break if I were you. Then go back out there and hold your mouth a little differently. Sometimes that's all it takes :p

:laugh:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll double check everything before I put the plastic back on.

Did you have a clearance issue? If so what did you do about it?

Also I saw the pics and it looks great.

Did you have a clearance issue? If so what did you do about it?

Also I saw the pics and it looks great.

I haven't been back out to check my clearance on the lines. I will keep you posted when I do.

I'm not in such a hurry to put the plastic back on yet, got some cleaning to do and I'm going to finish taking off the rest of the stickers etc. Cold weather here, not going to be riding for a few anyway!

I haven't been back out to check my clearance on the lines. I will keep you posted when I do.

I'm not in such a hurry to put the plastic back on yet, got some cleaning to do and I'm going to finish taking off the rest of the stickers etc. Cold weather here, not going to be riding for a few anyway!

I hear ya. It is cold here too.

There does not appear to be any clearance issues with my oil lines. Although they are close, closer on the left than the right, there is a considerable amount of space between them. By considerable I'm talking around 1/4 inch on the right and less than 1/4 on the left. At first I wasn't able to get the line and pipe to make contact, I went back to try to get a pic to posted and was able to get the left side to contact. How much will the radiator and oil cooler move during riding? Should I try to fix this issue now or wait and see if it is even going to be an issue?

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of installing new exhaust on the busa. Have the old header off and in the process of putting the new header on. I can't seem to get it up as high as it needs to be because of the lines to my oil cooler. I have the radiator and oil cooler removed from their brackets and moved up towards the front forks but wasn't wanting to have to remove them all together.

Anyone remember any links where there are pics for the header install? I've not had any luck with the search option.

I installed a full Yosh system on my old 05 without removing the radiator or oil cooler. Could it be that your lines are in the way because you have the oil cooler moved? If not, call the exhaust manufacturer. They should deliver a product that fits.

P.

:beerchug:

In searching through threads I have found a couple solutions to get a bit more space between the oil line and the header pipe. One is adding washers behind the lower bracket to push the bottom of the oil cooler out some, the other is installing a flexible oil line. I will most likely start with adding washers and if I don't get the result I want then add flexible lines. I've got all winter to do this, I hate to think of it but I'm very particular about things being right.

I've seen a couple mention bending the line but I can see too many things going wrong by doing that.

honestly for your climate, you could probably remove the oil cooler completely without any ill effect.. I would want at least a 1/2 inch clearance myself.. (heat transfer for one issue, abrasion another)..

Back