Help.  I have no keys to my bike!

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I went to a tire store after my move to Idaho Falls. I had the tires on my truck stiped. That's where they cut a thousand more little slits in your tires so you get better traction on ice.

Well, being tired and rushed, I just gave them my whole key set. When I moved, I put the ring with the blue Suzuki tag onto the ring with the rest of my keys.

Two days later, when my bike arrived with my furniture, I noticed that my bike key was gone. My wife has put the other key somewhere, probably where it will never be found, god dammit!

The jerks at the tire place have my temp rent address, so they don't know where I am to steal my bike, but, I can't even start it!

I called Suzuki in TX where I bought the bike and they claim that there is no way to get a replacement key--that Suzuki won't do that (even if I have the title and a picture ID). They say to call a locksmith.

I once had a locksmith "pick" a HD lock and make a key by hand (I'm good at losing stuff). It didn't cost much, but that was 30 years ago. I wonder if a locksmith can do that with a double sided key today.

A new ignition switch and hump lock plus labor would probably be outrageously expensive. Can anyone tell me what route I should take?

I'm posting this same message on SH.org to cover all my bases.

Thanks for any help.

I would go with the locksmith. Locksmiths can make key for the same lock or, ( This is what I would do. > have a different key made to work with the same lock, then nobody that has your old keys could use them.

You can always buy a new lockset or find a used set. Just be aware if getting used, that the seller if unknown could have a copy of your key also.

Go get your key from the tire place, its still there right
rock.gif

Maybe I missed something in your story..

You do not have any thing that will justify your key set? Not even a black tag?

I think, I would get a new lock set! Cheaper in the long run , and no worries with someone else having a set that you don't know about!

Worst case, pop the pins on your undertail and reach up and release the hump. Remove the lock that releases the hump and take it to a locksmith. They should be able to make you a new key from that, and save you a service charge for a visit to your house.

(heavybusa @ Dec. 02 2006,23:11) Go get your key from the tire place, its still there right  
rock.gif

Thinking the same thing
rock.gif

rock.gif

(heavybusa @ Dec. 02 2006,20:11) Go get your key from the tire place, its still there right
rock.gif

No. Someone working in the shop stole the key off my set. I can't prove it of course. I didn't realize it until two days later.

(FAVahalik @ Dec. 02 2006,22:40) ...edited by BiG-T...
Two days later, when my bike arrived with my furniture, I noticed that my bike key was gone.  My wife has put the other key somewhere, probably where it will never be found, god dammit!  
The last two words....is it that serious!?

I understand your frustration but it doesn't warrant such statements.

(BiG-T @ Dec. 03 2006,09:18)
(FAVahalik @ Dec. 02 2006,22:40) ...edited by BiG-T...
Two days later, when my bike arrived with my furniture, I noticed that my bike key was gone. My wife has put the other key somewhere, probably where it will never be found, god dammit!
The last two words....is it that serious!?

I understand your frustration but it doesn't warrant such statements.
Sorry. Just many days of moving frustration that have built up over a month.

(FAVahalik @ Dec. 03 2006,11:18)
(BlueHaya @ Dec. 02 2006,20:16) You do not have any thing that will justify your key set?  Not even a black tag?
What is a black tag?  I have a title.
The black tag is the tag that came with your keys. It has the code for your key to get a new one cut. Also look in your owners manual, there is a spot in there to write the code down. Maybe you or someone else did.

(GSXTacy @ Dec. 03 2006,12:24)
(BlueHaya @ Dec. 02 2006,20:16) You do not have any thing that will justify your key set?  Not even a black tag?
What is a black tag?  I have a title.
The black tag is the tag that came with your keys. It has the code for your key to get a new one cut. Also look in your owners manual, there is a spot in there to write the code down. Maybe you or someone else did.
+1

Stealership can get you one if you provide the VIN but it's gonna cost ya your first born.

(BiG-T @ Dec. 03 2006,09:36)
(GSXTacy @ Dec. 03 2006,12:24)
(BlueHaya @ Dec. 02 2006,20:16) You do not have any thing that will justify your key set? Not even a black tag?
What is a black tag? I have a title.
+1

Stealership can get you one if you provide the VIN but it's gonna cost ya your first born.
More than a locksmith you think? Finding the owners manual will probably take month of unpacking boxes. It's incredible the amount of junk that people accumulate in 20 years.

The tank is empty because it had to go into storage. Now I can't even open the tank to fill it to keep it from rusting. I think I'll go to the stealership and see how much.

Go to a locksmith for sure, but I agree that suzuki is lying about having a key made but will charge more than a locksmith usually. New iginition time?
SHOCKED.gif

Let's go to the film.

If you lose both keys and do not have that little black tag / with the Key #

Hello new lock set.

IMG_0598.JPG

When I bought my Busa they gave me 2 keys... and both are not on my key rings. The extra one is... uh... well... I forget right now!

Back