How do I....

DE44Magna

Registered
Heres the problem, I have an ignition switch and a trunk lock with no key. I ordered 2 blanks from Suzuki but they told me even with the VIN they can't make keys and advised me to contact a locksmith. They also mentioned something about a code on the ignition cylinder which could help in making the key. My question is what is this guy talking about with the code (he seemed like he wasn't sure, its not a suzuki dealer, just a general bike "mall," Berts in California for those who know) and can a lock smith actualy make a key for me without having the original?

If you have the key code,the dealer can look in his code book and cut you a key off the code.A good locksmith can make a key with just the lock.All keys made have a key codes.

Only place is on the tag that came with the keys when you got the bike. Don't remember if it is a metal or plastic tag.

I have heard that without the number you have to buy a new lock and/or ignition, that might be big $$$

I don't know with just a lock.You may need a locksmith.The little tag with the keys when you buy a new vehicle has the code on it.Vin number does work for cars and trucks,seems strange it don't work for a bike.Probably should talk to a locksmith.

Those locks will pop out of the ignition switch,a good locksmith can do that for ya.They will have to pull the lock out to cut the key to fit.

I would even go a step farther and see
if the locksmith could re-key for you. Since you
don't have the keys it might give you peace
of mind knowing you are the only one with keys.......

bowdown.gif

(hayadooin @ Jun. 09 2007,11:42) I would even go a step farther and see
if the locksmith could re-key for you. Since you
don't have the keys it might give you peace
of mind knowing you are the only one with keys.......

bowdown.gif
+1

Not a bad idea....I think come monday that I'm going to have to get in contact with one and get my lock changed, as always thanks for your advice, I'll write back if I find anything usefull. I hope its not too expensive
sad.gif

Holy fack, I got my first quote at $186.50 plus tax, is this bogus or should I be looking at getting a new settup off ebay (ignition, gas cap, trunk lock)?
eek2.gif
crazy.gif

Back