Stolen Key - what are my options?

dx3

Registered
Guys,

My car was broken into last night, and they the thieves took my backpack. Inside the backpack were a set of keys that had the only key I have to my Busa. I am pretty sure it was just some young kids, and by what they took, and had the option to take, they were just stealing just to steal. My car has tv's, dvd players, and other stuff and none of them were touched. They also had access to my garage which has tools and stuff everywhere, again, none of these things were touched.

I spoke to one locksmith who cuts Hayabusa keys and he wanted $130 to come out and make me a new key for it. While that may get me access to ride my bike again, it still means there is a key floating around that starts my bike. Again, I would be very surprised if these thieves actually tried to take my bike, but just in case.

The bike has the steering turned all the way to lock.

What do I do from here? Should I buy a new ignition? Should I have this guy cut me a key? What are my options here and what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Jonny

I would be a little to worried with the key floating around personally. I think id get a new ignition if thats a possibility for you

New ignition immediately!! The 'kids' may not know what they have but someone will figure it out! Better safe than sorry.

I would be a little to worried with the key floating around personally. I think id get a new ignition if thats a possibility for you

Thank you for your response.

Local dealer want $140 for the ignition and $160 to install it. I have to bring them my title and DL which is fine, but they said it takes 8-10 business days :banghead: I don't particulary want to wait that long to ride my bike... I f'ing hate thieves.

Jonny

Thank you for your response.

Local dealer want $140 for the ignition and $160 to install it. I have to bring them my title and DL which is fine, but they said it takes 8-10 business days :banghead: I don't particulary want to wait that long to ride my bike... I f'ing hate thieves.

Jonny

I would see if you can find how to do it yourself and save the $$$$

Lesson I learned a long time ago - make extra sets as soon as you get the bike. If your worried about return theveiry (SP) have a new barrel and key set installed, unfourtunately, the $ 5.00 key will probably end up being the most expensive item stolen...

If you can get access to remove the ignition and/or the trunk (see posts here how to pop the trunk/seat), the key-code is stamped on the lock cylinder.

With the key-code, most locksmiths should be able to cut the key. That $130 for them to come out is mostly labor to figure out the key-code...

Wire battery directly to ignition.. Unhook to rest of bike... Wait with camera.

Well guys, thank you all for your responses. I took the great advice on here and managed to get my underbody off and got the code for the trunk cylinder. Unfortunately when a locksmith cross referenced it - they came up with a Honda Goldwing. They closed before I could get there. I know my key turned on the ignition and also opened the trunk, so needless to say am a little confused. I am going to try to remove the lock cylinder from trunk and actually bring it to them. If I get my hands on the POS's that are responsible for this someone is going to hospital...

Thanks again guys.
Jonny

there is a ful set of locks for sale in the classifieds...tank,trunk,ign. well, there wwas...Ill keep looking, ...seen it the other day. Seems like trhey was $125?

OK guys, a question... I was told that the trunk lock has 6 tumblers, the gas tank has 6 tumblers, and the ignition has 8 tumblers. Does this mean if I was to have a key cut based on the trunk lock that it wouldn't work?

Seems like I am not the only person who has been stupid enough over the years to not get a spare key...?

Thanks again. I just want to get this bike back on the road for now.
Jonny

OK guys, a question... I was told that the trunk lock has 6 tumblers, the gas tank has 6 tumblers, and the ignition has 8 tumblers. Does this mean if I was to have a key cut based on the trunk lock that it wouldn't work?

Seems like I am not the only person who has been stupid enough over the years to not get a spare key...?

Thanks again. I just want to get this bike back on the road for now.
Jonny

I lost my key twice this week alone. I always put it back in its place Everytime bit it seems to be getting legs and walking off. Will be making a spare set today. Hope you get your key situation figured out. Sorry i couldn't help about the tumblers. Ill ask the locksmith today when i go in case you dont get an answer

Sent from mobile device

that sucks. I keep a key in the bedroom, one in wallet and the key code tag and another key in the gun safe. Take a look on flea bay, seen some 3 lock kits on there recently.

8-10 days isnt a long wait compared to waiting for your bike to be recovered, i have a key in my safe and the one for the bike.

You can get a new key made,but that doesn't change the fact that the thief has a perfectly working key. They know where you live right?

that sucks. I keep a key in the bedroom, one in wallet and the key code tag and another key in the gun safe. Take a look on flea bay, seen some 3 lock kits on there recently.

+1 - original - made spare - and second original with code tags attached in the "gun safe"!

Back