Help.. Low Sided

Rocketman

Registered
Guys - we made it to the track a few weeks ago and low sided our 06 GSXR750. A bit costly, but nothing that can't be fixed.

My concern is: The stator cover was damaged and the bike hit something that cracked it nicely. Enough that it dinged the generator rotor - which is attached to the crank. The rotor cup (looks like a pully) has a strip of magnets on the inside which too got damaged. It looks like the bike hit and smacked the rotor hard enough to un-seat that strip a bit and leave one of the magnets exposed.

I'm replacing the rotor. I didn't see any visible damage to the stator. I'm not seeing anything else damaged but the fact that it hit that generator rotor has me concerned. Could it have bent the crank?

I'm assuming that the crank is tough and that replacing the rotor is fine. Any concerns out there on the engine?

Thanks tons!

:bowdown:

I would check it with a dial indicator to make sure that it's not out of true. No need to dismantle the engine, so don't sweat it.

Get the bike in a rear stand, set up a dial indicator, pull all the spark-plugs, put the bike in top gear. Have a friend rotate the rear wheel while you watch the indicator. I'm not sure what the allowable runout would be, but if you read .0005-.001 I wouldn't sweat it.

Crankshafts are pretty tough, but not bullet-proof. The rotor probably absorbed the brunt of the force, as you stated it was cracked.

I agree with roadthing. Check it with a dial indicator. Cranks are made hard like cam shafts. Ever drop a camshaft? They break if they hit the floor right. Chances are its fine.

No one got hurt, I'm guessing.

Hopefully this is the case.

Nothing to add, technically, but good luck, bro.

Hi guys - thanks. Yah - no one was hurt. It was a smooth slide out around a tight/tight corner.

I'll get my buddie's dial and see if he can help me with that. That'll be something new since I don't know how to use the dial indicator yet.

You guys are awesome - thank you.

Back