Need Rotor input

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
I have a few questions concerning rotors.

I see ABM offers a full floating rotor, what is a full floating rotor, and what makes it better?

Is there much of a difference between the ABM full floating rotor, and the EBC rotor for street use on a Busa?

In terms of quality, weight savings, longevity, and breaking power...how do the ABM's, EBC's and stocks compare side by side?

EBC
slottedcontour.jpg

ABM
ABM-Rotor.jpg

(BA BUSA @ Nov. 06 2006,19:38) They are all full floating rotors  
all_coholic.gif
rock.gif
They are
rock.gif

Just got off the phone with another member from here, and he was shaking his ABM rotors, and could hear them...whats the word...shake. I didn't think my stock rotors did that...maybe they do, but sure didn't think they did.

rock.gif

The little round piece between the inner part of the rotor and the outer disc allows it to "float" side
to side...it can also flex a bit with a sudden shock as in a panic stop.

(Valium @ Nov. 06 2006,18:41)
(BA BUSA @ Nov. 06 2006,19:38) They are all full floating rotors  
all_coholic.gif
rock.gif
They are
rock.gif

Just got off the phone with another member from here, and he was shaking his ABM rotors, and could hear them...whats the word...shake. I didn't think my stock rotors did that...maybe they do, but sure didn't think they did.
they rattle like a snake!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

rock.gif

laugh.gif

Should I have said full floating carrier instead of rotor...is there a difference? Obviiously Im lost on this topic.

(Valium @ Nov. 06 2006,18:43) Should I have said full floating carrier instead of rotor...is there a difference? Obviiously Im lost on this topic.
yeah..probably..

wink.gif

(Valium @ Nov. 06 2006,17:43) Should I have said full floating carrier instead of rotor...is there a difference? Obviiously Im lost on this topic.
No they are "Full Floating Rotors" the center painted portion is one
piece...and the Disc is another solid piece, then you have the little round
piece (don't know the correct name of this part) that connects them and
allows the Disc to "Float" on the inner hub
biggrin.gif

So the only Difference Between the ABM and EBC...are the looks, and maybe some weight?

I feel like a real idiot about the whole rotor issue, but figgure if I don't ask, I will never understand.

Floating rotors are rotors with a carrier seperate from the rotor with rivots connecting the two. The floating action is what allows the rotor to move slightly to even out brakeing pulses. Some bikes have solid rotors with floating calipers (calipers actually slide side to side) while others have solid mounted calipers and floating rotors. The floating rotor also helps prevent warpage due to high heat situations by allowing the rotor to expand and contract. The difference between the EBC and ABM is the quality of the components. ABM rotors most likely have titanium rivots where the EBC has stainless rivots. Also, the quality of the stainless rotor may be different. Neither of these differences are really worth anything on a street ridden motorbike. The ABM rotors look pretty cool IMO. Check out the Ferodo Axis rotors. They come in ductile iron (much better breaking surface than SS, but rust badly) or SS and have black carriers with red rivots. I was going to get these if I didn't get such a good deal on the Braking wave rotors I got.

(black954 @ Nov. 06 2006,20:38) Floating rotors are rotors with a carrier seperate from the rotor with rivots connecting the two. The floating action is what allows the rotor to move slightly to even out brakeing pulses. Some bikes have solid rotors with floating calipers (calipers actually slide side to side) while others have solid mounted calipers and floating rotors. The floating rotor also helps prevent warpage due to high heat situations by allowing the rotor to expand and contract. The difference between the EBC and ABM is the quality of the components. ABM rotors most likely have titanium rivots where the EBC has stainless rivots. Also, the quality of the stainless rotor may be different. Neither of these differences are really worth anything on a street ridden motorbike. The ABM rotors look pretty cool IMO. Check out the Ferodo Axis rotors. They come in ductile iron (much better breaking surface than SS, but rust badly) or SS and have black carriers with red rivots. I was going to get these if I didn't get such a good deal on the Braking wave rotors I got.
Hey, I appreciate the time you took to explain this to me. nice writup, and easy enough for the average guy to understand.

Do I dare ask what makes a radial-mount brake different or better than what the Busa has...lol, ok...another topic.

Thanks again, Im getting a better understanding.

(BA BUSA @ Nov. 06 2006,19:49) No they are "Full Floating Rotors" the center painted portion is one
piece...and the Disc is another solid piece, then you have the little round
piece (don't know the correct name of this part) that connects them and
allows the Disc to "Float" on the inner hub
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the input - round piece, unknown name, allows something to happen, and it all works good...lol

cool.gif
beerchug.gif

Radial Mount Brakes.........................................
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
we'll save that one for another day
beerchug.gif

laugh.gif

There is full floating and semi floating. They both allow for expansion and contraction of the rotor and carrier. Here is a snipit from braketech about floating rotors.

What is Full-Floating?Full floating rotors, such as were originally conceived, were designed to reduce the tendency towards thermal stress induced distortion due to uneven thermal expansion under load. Prior to the introduction (by Brembo) of this design, brake rotors in the motorcycle industry were simply round discs bolted solidly to the wheel. You may remember if you've been around long enough, the rotors on the early CB750 and Z-1's were nearly 7mm thick and weighed accordingly. This was in effort to keep them from warping. Now days, the only road bikes coming through with solid mount (front) brakes are the Cruisers and budget bikes.

Today's Sportbikes abound with trick features and hardware in every nook and cranny. Brakes too. The brake rotors on them work remarkably well considering their mass-produced (read: stamped) manufacturing process. These are technically semi-floaters as the outer SS blade is nearly bolted solid to the carrier via the stamped stainless steel rivets.

True full-floaters move on the carriers, this allows them to self-center in the caliper for reduced brake drag and "float" unimpeded for unrestricted expansion and contraction during repeated thermal cycling. The only serious down side is a bit of rattle that reminds you these are indeed full-floaters.

Does all this guarantee they won't distort under severe duty conditions? No, unfortunately, there's precious few guarantee's these days. But they do perform as advertised in improving overall braking performance while significantly reducing that distortion tendency.

From what I have seen so far in the real world the ABM's last longer then the EBC's but i'm not taking nothing away from EBC because they are a good disc.

Charles, in the 1.5 years I've been here, I think this is by far your longest post...lol
wow.gif

Is there much of any weight difference between stock, EBC, and ABM...just a general guess...don't need to be exact.

Also, it looks like the ABM would be considered a "Tru Full Floater" where as the EBC, and stock are not - am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks Charles, your input is always +10

Back