Track Day went down

Rocketman

Registered
Guys / Gals - had a great track day last week. My son on his '06 GSXR750 - is / was doing great. He pushed it a bit too hard and low sided.

I pulled off the stator cover to get it replaced. OUCH - the generator roter has the magnetic strip on the inside of it - it's damaged.

Haven't seen anything on eBay. Been to Babbits, RonAyers, etc... I would think that a used part would be fine instead of getting new. It's more economical.

I need a generator rotor. Anyone know where to get used engine parts?

OUCH

Sorry to hear that Rocketman! How are his spirits? Goin down at the track (or anywhere else for that matter) tends to make people a bit shaky about gettin back out there.

I'll keep an eye out for stator/generator rotor on the race boards...

+1 on gixxer.com

Sorry to hear about the slide. But it sounds like he wasn't hurt at all :beerchug:

He's definitely shaken - but I quickly illustrated the positive. It's like downhill skiing - if you're not falling - you're probably not getting better. I say that a bit sheepishly because if you fall in the snow, it doesn't cost $800 to fix everything.

However, I wanted him to understand that a low side is enough on the fringe but still see what he needs to do to improve and control. His tires - were probably the biggest problem. (Shinko slick on the back and a too worn pilot-race on the front.) It was the back that went out on him.

Anyway - more to learn - and yeah - he's shaken - but he loves it.

The stator is one thing. That's the cross like thing with all the coiled copper. That actually sits inside the rotor that has a magnetic strip built into the inside of it. It would be cool to find someone who can re-build that - but doubtful. It's a nice piece of work.

I've been checking all over the forums and I just don't see too many internal parts for sale that aren't cams. But I'll keep checking there. It's a $230 part new. Thanks for the responses. I'm still looking around.

I'll post some pics later. It was an awesome day to be sure.

Here's a youtube link showing them on the track. [URL="
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
He's definitely shaken - but I quickly illustrated the positive. It's like downhill skiing - if you're not falling - you're probably not getting better. I say that a bit sheepishly because if you fall in the snow, it doesn't cost $800 to fix everything.

However, I wanted him to understand that a low side is enough on the fringe but still see what he needs to do to improve and control. His tires - were probably the biggest problem. (Shinko slick on the back and a too worn pilot-race on the front.) It was the back that went out on him.

Anyway - more to learn - and yeah - he's shaken - but he loves it.

The stator is one thing. That's the cross like thing with all the coiled copper. That actually sits inside the rotor that has a magnetic strip built into the inside of it. It would be cool to find someone who can re-build that - but doubtful. It's a nice piece of work.

I've been checking all over the forums and I just don't see too many internal parts for sale that aren't cams. But I'll keep checking there. It's a $230 part new. Thanks for the responses. I'm still looking around.

I'll post some pics later. It was an awesome day to be sure.

Here's a youtube link showing them on the track. [URL="
[/URL]

Mis matched and worn out tires...not a good combination for a track day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mis matched and worn out tires...not a good combination for a track day.

I'm wondering why the track officials would allow him to be on the track with worn out tires. Seems perilous to hm and the other riders ???

I have never been to a track day, but I thought there was a pretty strict inspection of bikes and gear.

What was he running for tire pressure? I run 30/30 on the track on my 06 gixx 750. And yes, tires should be no more than 1/2 worn to pass inspection.....

I'm wondering why the track officials would allow him to be on the track with worn out tires. Seems perilous to hm and the other riders ???

I have never been to a track day, but I thought there was a pretty strict inspection of bikes and gear.

The video is from Miller Motorsports Park...the west course. On Saturdays
they offer a open track day, unfortunately their riders meeting and tech
inspection (no inspection) is a joke.

Wag and I did the open day last year for our warm up to the "First annual
Hayabusa .ORG" track day...then on Sunday did the East course and on
Monday did the full 4.5 full course.

Tires are important for a track day...

Glad to hear you've got a handle on it all.

Good luck with the repairs (both his spirits and his bike).

Yah, the front tire wasn't that worn when he started. He really shagged it. But analyzing afterwards - we definitely learned a lesson - inspect between rounds and change out if not up to par.

The shinko - doesn't have a very good profile for the track. It's a track slick but not sure I'd use one again. The Michellin guys were pointing out the profile and how flat is is compared to the pilot power. They had a point.

Still looking for parts... And - appreciate all the advice. He's giddy to get back on the track. Someone posted some pics of his crash.

Derek-3-fallen.png

Back