Help!!!....Installing extended swingarm!!!!!!!

Leeiswho2b

Registered
I've ran into a problem. I'm installing a 10 over swingarm. While trying to bolt everything back up I broke my shock because of putting pressure against the swingarm while trying to get all the bolts to line up. I have a new shock now. I was told I could use all stock parts besides needing a extended brake line and new chain. Well, I can't get the bolts to line up. Either I get 2 sets in the pivot that attaches by the dogbones, one to the frame and one to the shock but not dogbones, or dogbones and the shock but not the frame, etc. My factory swingarm hole (where the shock goes through) has a 6" opening. The extnded swingarm only a 5". So I can't get the shock attached to both upper and lower w/out it being flush against the swingarm. Do you have to get longer dogbones to use a extended swingarm? That's the only solution I see to be able to line all the bolts up. Or could it be the shop that did the extended swingarm either sent me the wrong one or didn't make it right dimensions? It looked exactly like the pic that was installed on a Gen1. Mine is an 07'. Either way I am at a loss... Longer dogbones=lowering??? I need my dogbones to be around an inch or so longer to make it work. Anyone else have this prob???? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

need to know if it was built out of a 600 swingarm or a busa swingarm.
if it was a 600 you need a 600 knuckle

Ordered it around a month ago from a place called Johnny Rocket Swingarms in North Carolina. He was running Ebay auctions for custom made swingarms that could be underbraced or with a nitrous bracket. Can't find any of the auction listings. Can't find a listing under google with that name. I ordered it over the phone, but don't have the number anymore. How can you tell if it came from a 600?

can you post a pic?
does it have a upper brace like a stock swingarm? if it doesnt more than likely it is a 600

can you post a pic?
does it have a upper brace like a stock swingarm? if it doesnt more than likely it is a 600

Will get a pic tommorrow. It's tore apart at a friends house. No it doesn't have the upper brace like the stock one. It doesn't have a brace on the top period. Just the underbracing.

Last edited:
it doesnt have to be either a 600 or busa swingarm it could be a custom one, sometimes they just dont line up quite right you must have really been forcing something to have broken the shock

it doesnt have to be either a 600 or busa swingarm it could be a custom one, sometimes they just dont line up quite right you must have really been forcing something to have broken the shock

I was standing on the end of the swingarm while pushing it down at the same time, not realizing it was flush against the shock. Now I have some nice scratches in the finish to cover up. Was a lousy powdercoat job to begin with though.

Last edited:
that swingarm is a busa arm with the top box cutoff and underbracing from the way it sounds

That's the thing!!! I have tried everyway imaginable to line it up to no avail. I don't know where to go from here. But when I measured the bottom side of the hole/box the stock was 6" and the custom was 5". If it would have been 6" also it prob woulda worked. The only thing that I could see that would work would to be to get longer dog bones. Then it will still be close clearance between the shock and swingarm. So, one of my questions are: are lowering links actually longer and adjustable dog bones?

Last edited:
you are probly right about the stretched arm needing a knuckle-thingy/lower shock mount from a GSX-R 600....but you need to know the year too:banghead: or it wont line up right *guess how I know this??:whistle:* also need a bushing/bearing for the 600 knuckle because the busa one is different dia.

that lower mount/knuckle is more than likely the issue-if you're unable to guess year of arm-take some GOOD pics n throw'em up, we've got some pretty good sooper-nerdy types on here who can give you some good advice, unlike 'dis big stoopid monkey:moon:

Well, found a 6.5" set of dog bones to use. Was able to line up the bolts, but can't get the rear tire on. It is completely up in/against the undertail when I tried to mount. Has absolutely no clearance. Even if I could get it on my belly pan would touch the ground before the back tire. I guess my only other hope will be trying the 600 knuckle. This has been totally frustrating!!!!!!

Any members from around N.C. ever hear/see this name? Johnny Rocket Swingarms? That's who I ordered it from over the phone. I'm just wondering if they sent the wrong one. When I had first ordered: Had called them several times to see what the holdup was on the order. Was told it would be around 10 days to receive. Right at a month later I called back and they told me it was at the powdercoater and would be shipped the next day. Waited another week and nada. Called back again and left messages for them to call me back. Still no word. Finally a few days later I called and left them the message that I was going to file a fraud report with my bank. Received it 2 days after that message, but still no return calls from them. Powdercoat looked horrible. Wasn't completely covered, but thought I'd just deal with it being as long as it took to get it to begin with. Now all of these probs!!!!!!

I would start up another thread warning other folks about these clowns at 'Jonny F**k-ups' Swingarms and after the thread has received oh, 2-300 views, then email a link to the thread to those a**clowns so they can see how their 'wonderful customer service and attention to detail' turns around n bites'em in the A**:poke:

'course Im also the kinda guy to go beat on someone's door when they're dikn around w/ANYBODY's bike-mine or someone elses....I just cant take that kinda crap.

IF YOU DONT WANT TO DO YOUR JOB- QUIT! dont stay there n be a complete loser at what you do, just because you can:moon:

sorry for all your problems Lee-if you have problems gettin parts to line up, PM me again i'll try to walk ya thru it. been there before w/the arm-but at least I knew what I was in for becuase my arm builder told me ahead of time.

I had an experience with a carolina powersports with a custom swing arm.(EBay slinger) ordered one off custom 12 over standard tire size (190) with NOS bracket. I received it a month later (I was told 10 days, so I paid in full up front. HUGE MISTAKE!) wht came was a 12 over 240 arm no NOS bracket powdercoating sucked big co-- barely covered on one side. Found out through numerous phone calls company was being sued with class action lawsuit for their Fu-k UPs, In delivery and some quality control. Main problem was person running outfit Ill leave his name out of this conversation. I talked to the fabricator by phone who actually did the building, and he made it right 2 times over. He sent me right swng arm, and the welds were so perfect everbody now asks where I got my swngarm. He told me to keep the 240 arm which I flipped for a real sweet deal, my arm was basically free other than the headaches of time and phonecalls and *****en. Im just wondering if your arm wasnt some overstock that this shister was slinging on cheesebay and he changed his name, because the MO sounds the same. They did have some fabrication issues that some of the customers on EBay were suing over. Mainly swingarms not fitting right. Luckly my deal worked out, hope the same for you. After my deal they dissappeared from EBay, as Carolina Powersports.???

Last edited:
Well, I finally was able to reach the guy I ordered it off of. He tells me that you need to use a 1" lowering link with the swingarm, but when I 1st ordered he said that stock would fit. I found a pair and it finally bolted up. Clearance between the shock and swingarm is still a bit of an issue. It still is really close. The powdercoat looks as if they really skimped on it. There is places where you can see the aluminum finish. I have scratched it up a bit because all of the probs with the fitment issue. Am gonna try to take a spray can of black bbq grill paint to it until I get it re powdercoated. The welds aren't very pretty and look a little suspect in spots. After explaining the fitment issues, he told me he would send some 1" lowering links, some of the custom adjustables (like the ones that look like tierod ends), and a new 600 knuckle to see if it helps. Tried to tell me they have never had that issue before. On another note......the gap between the undertail and tire is really small. When sitting on the bike it rubs sometimes. Is there anyway of stiffening the shock up as to where there won't be so much give in it? Will try to post some pics of it tommorrow. It was raining and had got dark on me this evening. Need to try to fix it where it doesn't rub and bleed the brakes. Will probably have to order a shorter kickstand also. The bike almost sits straight up when on the kickstand.

Back