help with swingarm replacement

Pit Bull

Registered
I'm about all ready to go on installing my extended swingarm(rear wheel off, etc.. )but not sure where to go next? I need to get the special socket for the pivot bolt(any one know where to get one at a reasonable price) and figgure out another way to support the bike instead of the rear stand(because it's supporting the bike by the swingarm & needs to get out da' way. And what to do about the shock linkage? removing the dogbones?
Anyway, If there is anyone out there who has been here before and knows what their doing can give a detailed description on how to proceed I'd geratly appreciate it.

Pit Bull

No but if you want I can post the instructions as they are listed in the manual
rock.gif
Let me know if you want those.

I'm about all ready to go on installing my extended swingarm(rear wheel off, etc.. )but not sure where to go next? I need to get the special socket for the pivot bolt(any one know where to get one at a reasonable price) and figgure out another way to support the bike instead of the rear stand(because it's supporting the bike by the swingarm & needs to get out da' way. And what to do about the shock linkage? removing the dogbones?
Anyway, If there is anyone out there who has been here before and knows what their doing can give a detailed description on how to proceed I'd geratly appreciate it.

Pit Bull
Pitt....what special socket ? use a centr punch n' hammer, or a piece of brass rod an' a hammer . put a piece of plastic or wood on the outer ring if you dont want to mark it . Then a large screwdriver .
I'm assuming by all of this you are refering to the swingarm bolt(pivot bolt) .

supporting the bike: use a couple sets of jack stands . One or two under the frame , one or two under the engine . Get a friend or two to help if yer not sure . Put yer jackstands in place then lower yer bike off the rear/race stand onto the jackstands . If it stays, its balanced in a good spot , if its kinda rocky yer buds are there to stop yer ride from fallin' over. Another extra support system is tie-downs attached to the stringers in yer shop ceiling , attached to yer bikes bars and sub frame at the rear .

You sure yer up fer all this Pitt....I mean you've got yer new length of chain ready ? yer new sprockets ? etc etc.
Yer not just gonna try an' add some links to yer old one right? you've done yer fender chop , its outa the way?
You've got yer extended or modified brake stay....longer brake line...blah blah blah ...

if you take the 36mm nut of the other side first , and loosen the swingarm pivot shaft with a 24 mm allen wrench or 15/16 headed bolt with some nuts screwed onto it the special nut will come off with your hands without any tools, but for reassembly you may want to have the special socket to correctly torque aht locknut down , I got the whole set of special tools from these guys , cant beat the price and its pretty good quality stuff

<!--EDIT|nyrican
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075988373 -->

No but if you want I can post the instructions as they are listed in the manual
rock.gif
Let me know if you want those.
That would be appreciated dezzy 7... or better yet, if someone here with cable or broadband could burn me a copy of the shop manual hosted here on the board & send it to me I'd pay you for your trouble(I got dial up - out in the sticks... sooo slow).
Thanks to all who replied to the post - I'll post pics of the progress(what little there is).

Pit Bull

Back