Helmetless Motorcyclist Dies During Anti-Helmet Protest

Why is a helmet the one thing that alleviates wether they should burden your wallet? There are people that have the same mentality about riding a motorcycle all together, why should anyone have to be burned with you being incapacitated because you enjoy riding a motorcycle? You dont have to ride one, it's a hobby. These holier than thou attitudes are the problem not the so called selfishness

Why are we even having this debate? Why are we even having this debate in our country? STFU and put a dang helmet on. If you have to wear a seat belt, what is the big deal?

The real problem is that we've become so narcissistic and self centered that we thing what WE want individually is the most important thing, and everyone else should agree.

This is a very important debate! Government is set up to protect society generally not the individual. That is - not to infringe upon personal liberty. Law enforcement agencies are to protect societal peace generally not the individual. The individual bares this responsibility. This concept is ingrained in the law. Your family can't sue law enforcement because they failed to protect you (The Individual) from an angry spouse who had a restraining order or the fire department because you died in a fire. Because - government law enforcement is to protect the peace (generally) not the individual. They have no responsibility to the individual (legally). In my opinion, laws should not be written that don't protect society generally. Seat belt laws and Helmet laws in general protect the individual not society at large. Some of you have applied ecomomics to this debate. It cost society if someone bangs there head and they are unisured. Agian IMO applying an economic lense to issues of personal freedom is a very slippery slope. Something that should be dealt with in the private sector (insurance companies) and in civil courts.

Skydiving made illegal - what's the big deal? Only a handful of people do it.
The government can read your email (without a warrant) - what's the big deal? I'm sure the government wouldn't abuse the individual.
Motorcycles don't need to be more than 500cc - what's the big deal?

I could name a thousand things that would tweek everyone.

Individual rights and liberties are not taken away wholesale - they are eroded over time. What's the big deal?

It's pretty hypocritical to see the same people that support national healthcare to say a person involved in an accident shouldn't be supported

Studies analyzing motorcycle rider fatalities in the
medical literature have uniformly recommended helmet
laws as a means to prevent deaths among motorcyclists
in the US (Sosin et al., 1990; Fleming and Becker, 1992;
Muelleman et al., 1992; Kraus et al., 1994; Sarkar et al.,
1995; Mock et al., 1995; Rowland et al., 1996). The
nonmedical literature has made similar recommendations,
although less uniformly. Nonmedical reports outlining
the paradoxical effects of motorcycle helmet laws
have offered useful contradictory evidence for consideration
by lawmakers (Goldstein, 1986; Graham and Lee,
1986). Most recently, a report from the US Department
of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration (NHTSA) has brought to light the finding
that motorcycle fatality rates are lower in states
without helmet laws (National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration, 2000).
Although these studies describe the relationship between
the existence of helmet laws and motorcycle rider
death rates, they do not simultaneously account for the
intervening effects of other variables such as population
density, weather, alcohol consumption, and urban versus
rural roads. Our study seeks to build on previous
work, in both the medical and nonmedical literature, by
better investigating the finding that motorcycle rider
death rates are significantly lower in states without
helmet laws.
2. Methods
2.1. Statistical modeling
The goal of our study was to complete a national,
State-based analysis of motorcycle rider death rates in
the US. Counts of motorcycle rider deaths for all the 50
states and the District of Columbia were obtained from
NHTSA’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS)

Just the opposite.

"After controlling for other factors that affect motorcycle rider fatalities (most notably
population density and temperature), death rates in states with full helmet laws were shown to be lower on average than deaths
rates in states without full helmet laws (P=0.740). Our study weakens the claim that rider death rates are significantly lower in
states without full motorcycle helmet laws. © 2001"

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1005&context=publichealthresources

cheers
ken

You will have to point that quote out to me as I can't seem to find it anywhere in the above post? :dunno:

I'm sorry but I just believe helmets should be worn as well as seatbelts. The evidence is overwhelming. I've always felt that folks that refuse to wear one should not in anyway be a burden to my personal budget.

So then let the folks who support no helmets pay into a special pool to head related injuries related to not wearing one. Smokers pay extra for ins to cover added costs as compared to non smokers why should helmet/helmet less people be in same category. Separate them and charge accordingly.

So then let the folks who support no helmets pay into a special pool to head related injuries related to not wearing one. Smokers pay extra for ins to cover added costs as compared to non smokers why should helmet/helmet less people be in same category. Separate them and charge accordingly.

That is the preferred approach. Economics. We pay more for the 1340CC's of kikA$$. We should get a ATGATT Discount! :thumbsup:

Your family can't sue law enforcement because they failed to protect you (The Individual) from an angry spouse who had a restraining order or the fire department because you died in a fire. Because - government law enforcement is to protect the peace (generally) not the individual. They have no responsibility to the individual (legally).
well, failing to protect you how? if I police officer responds to a call where a restraining order against a spouse is active and doesnt take the appropriate action and later that day the spouse comes back and kills someone then they surely can be sued. if there was appropriate action that could and should have ben taken the police officer is required to act. a civilain does not fall under the color of law but a police officer does.

if someone is being asaulted and a police officer observes said assault and fails to take appropriate action to stop it he can surely be sued. under the federal civil rights statute (Title 42, section 1983, of the US Code) state and local government officials can be sued for money damages on grounds of the violation of the plaintiff's constitutional rights under color of authority.

the police certainly are there to protect the individual legally and failing to act on duty or off duty can and will result in legal action. a police officer is required by law to act and there are statutes in every state to support this. the fire department is the same.

Police have no responsibility to protect individuals (reference)

well, failing to protect you how? if I police officer responds to a call where a restraining order against a spouse is active and doesnt take the appropriate action and later that day the spouse comes back and kills someone then they surely can be sued. if there was appropriate action that could and should have ben taken the police officer is required to act. a civilain does not fall under the color of law but a police officer does.

if someone is being asaulted and a police officer observes said assault and fails to take appropriate action to stop it he can surely be sued. under the federal civil rights statute (Title 42, section 1983, of the US Code) state and local government officials can be sued for money damages on grounds of the violation of the plaintiff's constitutional rights under color of authority.

the police certainly are there to protect the individual legally and failing to act on duty or off duty can and will result in legal action. a police officer is required by law to act and there are statutes in every state to support this. the fire department is the same.

I'm all for personal freedom however, the second that freedom impinges upon society (insurance costs, stuck on the freeway while they mop up someones brains, etc.) we all fall under societies rules. The question here is where do you draw the line? Do you outlaw motorcycles and cars producing over 100 horsepower? Do we all drive Priuses? Society decides where that line is through its laws and sebsequent enforcement of those laws. As a citizen of the US, your State and local government you have the opportunity to make your wishes known be that through direct voting or support of your elected officials. Once you have, the societal norm is just that. You also have the chice to live where you want. If you don't like it you could move to another State or Country. But by all means express your opinion and respect those of others. Personally, driving a motorcycle is more dangerous than other forms of transportation and I don't understand those who do not wear a helmet. I'd bet that if you asked someone who has just cracked open their skull and is dying on the pavement they would say yes. I also don't like getting hit in the face by bugs and rocks because it just effin hurts.

I spent 5 years living in Germany and when cell phones got out of hand they passed a national law requiring hands free devices in cars. If you got caught without one the fine was very stiff. They also require first aid kits with rubber gloves and a warning triangle in every car. Again these laws are strictly enforced and you pay dearly if caught not following them. You are required to wear a helmet in Germany also. Best place to drive in the world.

Lardthunderinjesus Tuff, somethimes I tink yer ticker than cold molasses hon ha biscuit.* :laugh:

You will find the first quote and the quote I provided in the link.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1005&context=publichealthresources

cheers
ken

* newfanese dialect.

Well Ken, next time I respond to a quote I'll put this disclaimer at the bottom just for you! :laugh:

Disclaimer: This post is in response to the printed material above only, which has no bearing on any associated links produced from "Google Search" or any other known or unknown sources that may be or can be construde as relevant to the thread title!

Riding without a helmet is one of the more stupid things a person can do. I also don't believe the government has the right to mandate their use. Require a signed waiver and completed organ donor card and let them ride without one if they want.

My take on the whole helmet thing is this: Not wearing a helmet is more risky? Fine, lets raise the motorcycle insurance base rates, and institute a "Proper riding gear" discount. If you are pulled over for a traffic stop without wearing your helmet, and your insurance claims this discount, you get fined for improper insurance, and the insurance company is notified and can then drop you or raise your individual rates.

I choose (and want that right) to wear a helmet because while I can live without legs, the ability to walk, the use of my fingers etc. but putting brains back in my head has not been perfected by doctors yet. I also do not want my 2 young children spoon feeding my until I die because I needed to feel the wind in my hair. I've lived in states with the law and without, and always have worn some sort of helmet even a skid lid. I still want to have the right to choose to wear one or not, it's just foolish not to. I'm in Florida and the drivers here are older and and in many cases tourists unfamiliar with our roads.

The fact of the matter is that the odds of surviving a catastrophic motorcycle accident are very slim, helmet or not. Its low and mid speed crashes that worry me most. I don't want to be in a wheelchair because I was sitting at a light, got bumped and hit my head on a curb without a helmet. So for me it's a helmet, besides sand in your face at 100mph feels like napalm.

Well, I wear a helmet, but I guess the time has come to let gov. and ins. do all the thinking. As such : No pov,s of any type(cars , motorcycles,bicycles,skatebords etc.) , No smoking,drinking,eating any foods not on healthy list. All clothing to be all the same, as well as personal grooming. All people to be tested to find if they could have a child that does not conform to standards...... the list goes on , where do you want to stop? Someone will always not like what someone else does, and in some way someone else will pay. Take my freedom today and Ill take yours tomorrow.

I'm all for personal freedom however, the second that freedom impinges upon society (insurance costs, stuck on the freeway while they mop up someones brains, etc.) we all fall under societies rules. The question here is where do you draw the line? Do you outlaw motorcycles and cars producing over 100 horsepower? Do we all drive Priuses? Society decides where that line is through its laws and sebsequent enforcement of those laws. As a citizen of the US, your State and local government you have the opportunity to make your wishes known be that through direct voting or support of your elected officials. Once you have, the societal norm is just that. You also have the chice to live where you want. If you don't like it you could move to another State or Country. But by all means express your opinion and respect those of others. Personally, driving a motorcycle is more dangerous than other forms of transportation and I don't understand those who do not wear a helmet. I'd bet that if you asked someone who has just cracked open their skull and is dying on the pavement they would say yes. I also don't like getting hit in the face by bugs and rocks because it just effin hurts.

I spent 5 years living in Germany and when cell phones got out of hand they passed a national law requiring hands free devices in cars. If you got caught without one the fine was very stiff. They also require first aid kits with rubber gloves and a warning triangle in every car. Again these laws are strictly enforced and you pay dearly if caught not following them. You are required to wear a helmet in Germany also. Best place to drive in the world.

Good points... for the record I do believe smartphones in cars are an absolute danger to soceity and should be controlled. If it is important enough you can pull over and take your call or text. I don't think someone smashing their own head hurts society in general. Hurts the individual and their family - just doesn't pose a danger like Texting and driving or drinking and driving does to society.

Good points... for the record I do believe smartphones in cars are an absolute danger to soceity and should be controlled. If it is important enough you can pull over and take your call or text. I don't think someone smashing their own head hurts society in general. Hurts the individual and their family - just doesn't pose a danger like Texting and driving or drinking and driving does to society.

It does hurt your wallet through higher healthcare costs at the expense of someones freedom.

i wear helmet 99% of the time, the other 1% i don't and no one can tell me what i can do or can't as long as there is no law for it.. i tend to be more carefull when i ride without helmet and i have a lot better visibility than when i have one on but regardless that should be my choice..
the thing is that there are bunch of riders called squids that they think they can wear helmets and full gear because they are bullet proof and they ride like idiots and do stunts and high speed on public roads..
if our goverment is too worried people die of not wearing helmets why don't they do a survey of how many people dying of wreckles riding with helmets or being danger to other people, driving why intoxicated ( quit serving people alcohol) texting or calling a number while driving.. i bet you the percentage of that not anywhere close to the one with no helmets..
this is why i always said:: they keep telling you quit smoking it is not good for your health, they raise the price of tobacco so you quit smoking.. well my suggestion is why don't you all quit making tobacco if is so bad for our health, it is another way of our goverment get in our business but at the end they profit out of it...

ps: if is time for me to go it is the time... they ain't nothing can stop it...

It's pretty hypocritical to see the same people that support national healthcare to say a person involved in an accident shouldn't be supported

I haven't responded to you because i can't think of a good come back to your logic. Yes I hate you for that. :laugh:

Back