helmet shake @ high speeds

thanks for the feedback guys,

after reading your posts, i will try my buddies shoei for a hard run, i remember i tried it on for size and it was a tighter fit than my Agv, quite tighter.If i put on my helmet and move it around it moves without much effort, that along with the buffeting i experience may be one of the reasons.

im 185cm and weigh 235 ungeared, i now recall during blasting at the speeds i mentioned (speedo indicated), i tried correcting my tuck more than once but to no use.

weekend rider, will try out the tighter fit shoei on my next ride and post my opinion.

pics of aftermarket screens anyone?

if you're due for a new helmet anyway, then an RF-1000 cannot hurt (seen them brand new for $200 shipped)
P.S. Spent 3 days in Bahrain back in 2002, beautiful place :)

stock windscreen kromdom, glad u enjoyed your stay, place has changed a lot since 2002

Last edited:
I have an HJC helmet that I thought fit me, but after riding with it, it would move all around. I could move it around on my head by shaking my head. My Scorpion (LOVE this helmet) fits pretty tight. If I wiggle the helmet on my head my head moves where the helmet does. After riding when I take off my helmet I have red marks on my forehead. I wear the HJC if I'm riding 2-up, but I don't like it because of the movement.

GET YOUR HEAD DOWN!

No helmet will keep your head from buffetting at high speeds if it's poking up in the windstream. Your head is banging around and that shakey shltz is transferred to the bike and makes it shake as well.

It's NOT your helmet! You can put a frying pan on your head as long as you are properly tucked in behind the windscreen. :beerchug:

If tucked properly, should be fine. I tuck properly and If I lift my body up slightly, the first effect is feeling a vacuum along my back.

GET YOUR HEAD DOWN!

No helmet will keep your head from buffetting at high speeds if it's poking up in the windstream. Your head is banging around and that shakey shltz is transferred to the bike and makes it shake as well.

It's NOT your helmet! You can put a frying pan on your head as long as you are properly tucked in behind the windscreen.

Tuf! everybody knows that Frying pans are for Eggheads!

or?..Rope for knotheads!

or?...

Sewing needles for Pinheads!

and for the dude that wanted windscreen pix?...here's the ones i went through on my beloved Oren Ishii...

1st the way to low for anyone except an asian panty waist midget...stocker..

Busa2.jpg

The low azz stocker blew...and within my 1st week of owning Oren?.. i had it stripped off and replaced with this (hard to find at the time) Dark Smoke Puig Sport/Touring windscreen..way more windswept look and got lots of compliments on its appearance but..while it afforded just a lil taller wind protection?..it disrupted the wind badly and chopped the view of my instrumentation when toolin round town sittin straight up and barely left room for my GiPro ATRE/Gearshift Indicator..

Busburn2.jpg

PUIG2.jpg

PUIG1.jpg

PUIG5.jpg

But here's the one i've been running the past several years..and i love it..taller than the Sport/Toring model...gobs of wind protection..and plenty of room for a clear view of instrumentation (no matter what riding position) with no tuck strain and "CLEAR" with a black fade out and GSX1300R Logo...

PIC1.jpg

BUSAWASH5.jpg

and here's das shid...my Shoei X11 TC5 (chris vermulen graphics) lid w/ my Puig Dub-Bub Windscreen..killer combo..

shoei6.jpg

if anything ever happens to my Puig Dub-Bub it'll be replaced with another just like it...or?..if i can get my mits on one?..i hear the "Harris" dub-bubs are crystal clear...would try one..but always a dub-bub..no matter who the manufacturer.

Hope that helps and L8R, Bill. :cool:

Last edited:
Well if were gonna start posting pics :laugh: ... just prior to full tuck with dub bub zero gravity, you can kinda get an idea how well one could tuck with the chin on the tank

Texas Mile - LC Photography.JPG

im curious about this as well, my helmet was a perfect snug tight fit when i bought it and now when i am over 120, it what little wind is hitting me will push my face up to the noseguard and plexiglass.

i think its too stretched out.. is this normal for a couple year old helmet? just a sign to get a new one?

im curious about this as well, my helmet was a perfect snug tight fit when i bought it and now when i am over 120, it what little wind is hitting me will push my face up to the noseguard and plexiglass.

i think its too stretched out.. is this normal for a couple year old helmet? just a sign to get a new one?

Sounds as if was too loose when new. Should fit real tight until worn in. Depending on make, you can buy different thickness pads fitting nside the helmet, which may help.

Check your jacket, it will cause your helment to vibrate. I had the same problem with my helment, well thats what I thought it was. When I ride my SM (super motard) my jacket was to big and caused my problems. Good luck :thumbsup:

I would just like to reitterate what was stated. I found out that the shake I was getting was by wearing a looser fitting leather jacket. When I went back to my old one which was real snug, actually too small, the shake went totally away. No other changes. The shake was so bad over 160 that I could barely see the dash.....let alone make out the details. Its amazing what aerodynamics can do.

At speed my helmet and head move around from the wind but it doesn't cause any vision impairment. If I wear my old one size to big and way stretched out poo-poo helmet it'll rattle my sight above 120's.

Make sure your chin strap is as tight as possible and you can't get two fingers into the side of the helmet by your cheek. If all is tight and you've got a good tuck and still experience bad shake then try a different helmet.

Back