helmet shake @ high speeds

bignblue

Registered
I currently have a Agv stealth helmet, been using since 3 years, I always noticed everytime i went over 160mph things would gradually get blurry (some shakin too) but would be quite irritating at 170mph to a point i cannot hold that speed or go higher as visibility is compromised, but since a blast to 170mph happens once on my ride out it never bothered me much.....untill i got the hayabusa:laugh:

This is a helmet issue right? if it is, the price of a shoei rf-1000 seems just right and would be on my list of new gear i plan to get by the end of this year.

a good helmet should maintain feel and visibility at 180mph just as it would at 150mph, am i right?

it was a 4:00am ride, leave you with two pics while youre here

DSC03761.jpg

DSC03762.jpg

Last edited:
What windscreen do you currently have on the bike? I am guessing you are tucked in/under the screen when "blasting" so the airflow going over/above you and the buffeting you're experiencing should be minimal with a proper screen.

Not quiet 100% sure it is purely a helmet issue but if you're due for a new helmet anyway, then an RF-1000 cannot hurt (seen them brand new for $200 shipped)
P.S. Spent 3 days in Bahrain back in 2002, beautiful place :)

Helmet shakes are due to the fast wind. Helmet type has nothing to do with it. Just going beyond the norm brother.:rofl:

Allow me to ask you if you have the Speedo Heeler. Not to burst a bubble but if you don't, your speed is more like 130-140. Get one if you don't.:rulez:
Also try a double bubble windscreen. I notice you have the stock one in the pics.

Last edited:
my jacket shakes me so bad sometimes if im not wearing a back pack that above 100 i cant see. -1 for textile. +1 for leather

going 130+ parachutes my leather jacket. I guess its a little too big. But +1 for double bubble, makes the world of difference and :welcome:

i have a RF1000 and it still shakes at 160+ thats just part of it, a racing neck brace might help if you routinely go that fast to stabilize the neck and head? maybe

rci-7801d_w.jpg

Get the DB screen... That lifts the airstream and usually lets you tuck in under the screen.. If I stick my head out in those speeds I see 20 cars when there one... :D
And I've got a Arai RX7

Yes... i dont think it is the Helmet.......

thinking windscreen and your tuck.....

My arai does the same.:laugh:

If your helment shakes from wind it is probably to big. I have gone the speeds you are talking about with no problems. The helment should be tight/snug. When I take my helment off I had slight empressions from the cloth inside when it was new. Now not so much.

I got a new rf1100 that is the tightest helmet I ve owned and it will buffet some up around thoses speeds. But its way better than any other one I ve owned.It has a little ducktail on the back and I think it is making my jacket flap more than my old round helmet, give and take I guess.

At around 120+, and a certain position right over the screen, my Arai will do a fast side to side shake like that. Drop down another inch and it stops, raise up the inch and it starts again. Just a condition of the airflow at that particular height/position.
At a full tuck, chinbar on the tank, the airflow is totally calm at 100mph. In cooler weather my shield will fog up like I'm setting at a stop, with all the vents open.:laugh:

Some time even if you tuck in you may get shake'n. Thats due to side wind. I had the same thing happen to me today. Simply, mother nature does like you to go 100+. :D

Make sure your jacket isn't too big. I had one that used to do me the same way. I found out it was because my jacket was catching air and sending air to my helmet.

Check your jacket, it will cause your helment to vibrate. I had the same problem with my helment, well thats what I thought it was. When I ride my SM (super motard) my jacket was to big and caused my problems. Good luck :thumbsup:

after cracking the visor (at the thinnest part of the hinge) on my scorpion EXO700 Fury a few years back?...(my head was above my windscreen at 180+ when it happened)..i went out and dropped big bucks on my shoei X11 buuuuut...the real deal is ya need to get that chin to the tank when your in excess of anything much over 160...and get that mellon in the bubble..it was tough for me to do with the stock windscreen and even my old puig sport touring screen but my puig Dub-Bub rox...i have np at all ducking and tucking with the DB screens...btw..tucking down in the bubble also boosts your acceleration rates when working at thos mid-hi triple digit speeds as well.

L8R, Bill. :cool:

My helmet is fine, but I like it pretty snug. My BIKE is what feels like it's all over the place at high speed (not that I ever will see 180 mph)

zg double bubble, x-11 and chin on the tank, its what works for me anyhow. some don't like the double bubble but i love mine and couldn't stand it when i tried putting the stock screen back on out of curiosity once.

My helmet is fine, but I like it pretty snug. My BIKE is what feels like it's all over the place at high speed (not that I ever will see 180 mph)

then sumpins seriously wrong...i'd suggest checking your wheel alignment as..

one of the best things i luv about my busa?..is it's "high speed stabilty"...at a buck 80 Oren is like riding the disney monorail...so stable in fact that it's almost...almost....dare i say?...boring...there...i said it. :laugh:

L8R, Bill. :cool: now do a string check on your wheel alignment..cause it'll screw with your low speed cornering as well as general all around "handling"...not just high speed stability.

then sumpins seriously wrong...i'd suggest checking your wheel alignment as..

one of the best things i luv about my busa?..is it's "high speed stabilty"...at a buck 80 Oren is like riding the disney monorail...so stable in fact that it's almost...almost....dare i say?...boring...there...i said it. :laugh:

L8R, Bill. :cool: now do a string check on your wheel alignment..cause it'll screw with your low speed cornering as well as general all around "handling"...not just high speed stability.

Yeah there's problems somewhere, as soon as I get around 110 it's shady !! I've been well over that before (on speedo), it's been a while, but I don't remember it ever being like that.

Back