Anyone use a Scorpion helmet?

Juggler

Techie Answer Guy
Donating Member
Registered
So here's the rundown. I already have a Shoei X, so don't tell me how good Shoei, Arai, etc. are. I'm looking for a second helmet, and ran across Scorpion at the local stealership.

For $200, it looks/feels like a well-made helmet. I'm interested in how it holds up, noise, how stable it is at speed, etc.

Thanks in advance...

Juggler, I'm running an EXO 700. I like it real well. There's a lot less noise than I had with an HJC and it's pretty stable. I went into the dealership and tried them on until I found one that fit. The dealer said, Give me a credit card and take it for a ride to see if you like it. I did and we ordered the right color and style when I got back. I plan to buy another for my girlfriend shortly.

Dan

I have around 10000 miles on my EXO700 and I like it a lot. A bit noisier than I expected but it vents very very well. It also has a fog free shield and removable breath guard. So far its holding up well. You might search ebay for one. Found mine for $109 on a clearance sale.

scorpion helmets failed penetration test by Fed govnment.  link somewhere at www.gearreview.com
Well penetration is VERY important to me.
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

EXO-400 is the best helmet I ever had, (EXO-700 failed which is lighter and made of different materials)

<!--EDIT|motorkar
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139003817 -->

A couple friends of mine have them and swear by them. Almost went with it tell I saw OGk on sale.

a local dealer claims they dropped the scorpion line because of so many defects, breakdowns of clamps and whatnot. I don't know if I believe them or not. I've heard/read good things about scorpion

Walmart sells a Bell helmet for about 80.00, looks and fits great. Just a second helmet for when I have a rider.

<!--EDIT|BusaWizard
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139004478 -->

Hell Yes...I do!...and I presumably bought my Scorpion EXO700 Fury as an inexpensive "2nd Knock Around Helmet" as well...but since the first ride with it?...it's hands down my #1 Helmet.....and I have two shoies and hjc and a sold arai and...I'd grab my scorpion before any of'em...and screw the gov's D.O.T. and their penetration testing...and I don't wanna get into it too much here but I've worked with aerospace pattern and model makers extensively enough with materials such as carbon fiber and kevlar composites enough to know that such beats polycarb all too he11 and back again in any typical crash scenario..and yes...these composites will crack and crush with enough concentrated impact energy in an ISOLATED AREA however...the strands of kevlar and/or carbon fiber are like re-bar in a concrete foundation...and still hold things together...unlike polycarb which when it finally yields goes off like a freaking fragmentation grenade...and that's the part of the testing that the DOT inspectors FAIL to inform you about...anyways..

They can have my Scorpion EXO700 Fury when...

Cortech2.jpg

They pry it from my cold, dead, motionless, olympia gloved fingers.
laugh.gif

Go figure...they approve 1/2 helmets and 3/4 helmets but a kevlar re-inforced full face fails their...

"Penetration Test"?
laugh.gif

besides...when the last time you even "heard" of anyone dying cause...

"Their Full Faced Helmet Failed"?

while I have heard of one dude (when I was a young high school rider) whoi did die because his el cheapo polycarb lid split right down the injection mold seam.

Bottom Line?...Scorpions Rock!...in every way..and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

I have a Scorp.  It is very noisy at speeds over 90MPH.  I am looking for something different.  Probably the Shoei is a better one to stick with.  The good point about the scorp, doesnt fog.  Other than that, not really an different than any other helmet.  Probably make a good second helmet.....not sure what for.....but ok. I just can't stand the noise.  Jer

<!--EDIT|Tourist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139057797 -->

Thanks for the solid input guys! I may ask the dealer to "test ride" one.

I've owned a 700 for about 9 months and 5000 miles or so. Love it. It is noisy but you can FEEL the air blowing over your head when the vents are open. I had a AGV that cost 3 times as much and I still like this one more.

I’m not a big fan of any helmet I think their all over rated. As long as it’s Snell 2005 certified and fits your good to go. I use a RF-1000 and for $181 delivered price wasn’t an issue.

Back