Helmet review/question

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Does anyone have experience w/ this helmet? Was looking at Arai and Shoei but couldn't find one with the colors I wanted.

How is air flow, fogging, noise, weight, etc.? Thanks for any helpful input.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/ac11.htm

I wasnt real happy with me HJC on the highway, around town it was fine (to much noise). I just bought the KBC Force RR, and its a much better quality helmet for about the same price. Just my 2 cents.

i had an ac-11 a couple of years ago and it was o.k.- when i bought the arai quantum f, i couldn't believe the difference in comfort and weight. shop around at local dealers and try different helmets.

Only have experience with their CL-14 and if the vents are the same it ain't worth a crap for venting. VERY hot in the summer. I got a Scorpion EXO-700 specifically for its great venting and the bonus of a fog free shield.

good question. i just picked up the AC-11 yikesII. just got it last week and might trade it in for the carbon AC-12.

newlid.jpg

Went from an HJC, to KBC to Shoei - of the 3 the HJC was the loudest and had the least amount of cushion. Shop around and fit test a few cause they all fit a lil different.

Dont waste your money on a HJC it isnt even in the same class as a Shoei or Arai, I know I own a POS CL-12.

How about Icons? I just ordered the 06 Mainframe.....i was going to spring for a shoei or arai but im kinda ona budget, i mean a helmet isnt something u wanna be stingy on of course and i must say my HJC did do the job when i got nailed but it did what everyones saying.... it got looser and looser and was just cheeply made (at least mine was), plus its heavy as all hell if you have to get the xl or even xxl like me. I liked the fact the icon was desinged with room for com/mp3 systems and it wasnt as heavy as the scorpion. I already ordered it lol so i hope i like it but just was wondering if anyone has had the chance to put one through the ringer so to speak.

I own an Icon and it is a much better hat than a HJC, imho. I like the Icon equally as well as my Shoei. Like you said ...very comfy, flows decent air and looks good.

Thanks for the input everyone. I don't want to limit spending money to buying the best helmet for "my" head. The Aria fit better (I have a round head) than the Shoei X-11 (left a small gap between the top of my head and cushion inside). The Arai was $759.99 at stealership! And it's difficult finding any on-line deals if on-line at all. I believe Arai tightly monitors the selling of their product on-line.

Helmet expert there told me Shoei usually fits more egg shaped type heads better.

HJC's are fine if you buy a new one every season for just the reasons mentioned. I've got to bite the bullet and just a buy a better helmet one of these years... I still have a SHOIE RF200 from 1988 that I use for DEMO DERBIES and that damn thing is still the most comfy thing I've owned. Gotta check out the newer ones.

Thanks for the input everyone.  I don't want to limit spending money to buying the best helmet for "my" head.  The Aria fit better (I have a round head) than the Shoei X-11 (left a small gap between the top of my head and cushion inside).  The Arai was $759.99 at stealership!  And it's difficult finding any on-line deals if on-line at all.  I believe Arai tightly monitors the selling of their product on-line.

Helmet expert there told me Shoei usually fits more egg shaped type heads better.
on line deals are out there. look for close out flyers etc.

PM Jester a mod here on the board,owns his own shop

RSD.

Thanks for the input everyone.  I don't want to limit spending money to buying the best helmet for "my" head.  The Aria fit better (I have a round head) than the Shoei X-11 (left a small gap between the top of my head and cushion inside).  The Arai was $759.99 at stealership!  And it's difficult finding any on-line deals if on-line at all.  I believe Arai tightly monitors the selling of their product on-line.

on line deals are out there. look for close out flyers etc.

PM Jester a mod here on the board,owns his own shop

RSD.
+1 on contacting Jester....he will take care of you.

Careful on that Icon...make sure it fits ya noggin'. I ordered one (mainframe scorpion) on line and it just doesn't fit my head at all....least favorite of the 8 lids I own. Quality is very nice, killer looks. Probably just my head but I would still try it on before buying....

Thanks again, everyone. I will definitely be trying any helmet on locally before ordering on-line.

Back