Helmet dilemma

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Well folks?...I've been love'in my near year old Scorpion..the fit is great..venting is wonderful and the visors are very near scratchproof and fogproof...but me being the great critic?...and while i'm not positive?...it seems there is one shortcoming to the Scorpion which is the very same shortcoming my old Shoei RF900's had against my old Arai QuantumII...that "shortcoming" being...aerodynamics...as once I get into the mid to high triple digits?..the scorpion looses it's luster via strong headwinds and as my neck muscles tense against the 160+mph winds?...the i can feel the scorpions foam liner crushing itself to my face and forehead...with...tremedous force...which leads me to believe that while the scorpion may've very well been "Wind Tunnel Tested" (as advertised?)...ain't nobody tell'in wether it passed or failed that "test" LOL!....but i'm here to tell you folks that when I went from a shoei rf900 to an arai quantum?...on my old naked bike of an FZ1?.....the superior aero's of the arai were immediately noticable...but i'd rather skin a live cat with potatoe peeler than swap visors on that arai...meanwhile?...back on the farm?...the kid in me here ain't none to pleased with the ultra high speed aero's of my scorpion...and as such?...I did what i haven't done in almost a year...and while piucking up a new D.I.D. chain at the stealership a week or so ago?...I couldn't resist and tried on two helmets....and trying on the first one was a huge mistake...a shoei X-11...and the size L fit my head like it wads molded for it annnnnd....it was light as he11 annnnnnnnd....it was real high cut in the rear to better accomodate aggressive tucked ergos...annnnnnnd?...I loved it.....but?....after reading the $674.95 price tage the stealership had on it?..I laid it down with a frown....and then?..I tried on a HJC "CARBON"...and while it was a correct fit?...the cheekpads felt like homing points on my face..which i didn't care for at all and it didn't seem or feel any lighter than the shoei X-11 and the face looked far broader and less aero than the X-11....and even though it was priced at $449?..I laid that down as well..now...here's my question...

For high speed aeros?....which are the riders finding best?

Shoei X-11's?

or?...

Suomy Spec Extremes?

cause i promised myself that i ain't never changing the visor on an arai again in my life. LOL!

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Get on that Suomy group buy!!!

Get a gambler with a gold visor for me!!

smileyexhibit.gif

Jinkster,

You can find the HJC Carbon Fiber helmet at almost $100.00 less. Try newnough.com. That's what I ended up getting w/ a dark visor.

I got a Large and though I thought it was going to be too tight the rep told me it will break in and it did. As you know you want a snug fit at those speeds. Not to mention they sell different size cheekpads for that helmet.

As a matter of fact, don't buy it...the fewer people that have it the more I like it.
wink.gif

man i love my hjc ac11 i bought it in korea and never looked back i need an old lid i want to make a lamp out of it

Get a NEWER ARAI!!! I have used them for over 10 yrs, nothing I tried is as good aero wise, visor is better on the newer models...
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Leo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154057858 -->

I loved it.....but?....after reading the $674.95 price tage the stealership had on it?..I laid it down with a frown....
[/QUOTE]
I got my X11 for $495 (including taxes and shipping) from helmetharbor.com . It retails for about $692 I think. Just in case you like this price tag better  
beerchug.gif

Bill,

Love my X-11. Never unstable and has great air flow. The downside. If the temp is under 70 (not that you have to worry about that) it fogs with every breath. It is loud. Lots of wind noise, but worth it.

Later,

Steve

+1 on the X-Eleven. It is such a sweet helmet. For the money they SHOULD have an anti-fog shield, but it's a fantastic helmet.

Any helmet is going to be loud over 100, so hearing protection is best. I got mine at Helmet Harbor. I think they reviewed the Suomy and mentioned that it's pretty loud if you don't wear hearing protection.

You do wear hearing protection, right?!

Good luck with your decision...

i have the X-11 and it's my fave. i also have the scorpion exo700 jinks. my nitro is third [LOUD], write up on the lid on www.bikewebworld.com. that hjc carbon is LIGHHHHT...might be my b'day present to me
biggrin.gif
. good luck on your quest.

Back