Helmet on Transatlantic Flight

celticBandit

Registered
I will be in Chicago at the end of the month with work, and was hoping to pick up a new shoei while there. Prices look to be about $100 cheaper than Irish prices.

Question is: Has anyone ever brought a bike helmet on board a flight as hand-carry luggage, or is it better to stow it with luggage. I am worried that it might get damaged in flight.

Thanks
Tony

I just did this when I flew to 'Bama. I have an expensive helmet, and I didn't want it damaged by any Samsonite Gorilla in cargo handling. (My apologies if I offended any Gorillas.)

I bought a Scorpion helmet case (I have a Shoei X-Eleven), and it worked perfectly. There are plastic D-rings to attach it to a backpack for carrying.

The only downside is that on the small planes I was on, it wouldn't fit in the overhead. Going to Alabama, it was next to my feet, going back home, it was in the First Class closet.

(BUSADOOK @ Jun. 08 2007,13:56) Just wear it aboard, they can't deny your safety!!LOL!!
jump9.gif
carry on man
jump9.gif

jump9.gif

We carry on the helmets when we go racing. 8 international flights and no trouble.

(celticBandit @ Jun. 07 2007,14:35) I will be in Chicago at the end of the month with work, and was hoping to pick up a new shoei while there. Prices look to be about $100 cheaper than Irish prices.

Question is: Has anyone ever brought a bike helmet on board a flight as hand-carry luggage, or is it better to stow it with luggage. I am worried that it might get damaged in flight.

Thanks
Tony
I have many times. But ask again anyway.

Who are you flying with
rock.gif
? Some US carriers only allow ONE carry on, but I think Air Lingus (SP ? ) will be OK  
beerchug.gif

Thnaks for the replies guys. I'm flying with American Airlines. I'll ring and check just to be sure.

And it's spelt....AerLingus
wink.gif
thanks again

I was at a shop in Skokie they had some preety good deals on Suomy spec-1's.

Back