Helmet modifications

Zethicus

Registered
Finding the strap on speakers my friend let my borrow unrelable and tacty (looks bad, terrible sound quality)..

Has anyone modified their helmet to include two headphone speakers - possibly a pair of speakers that are enclosed, but modified by removing the speaker and wires, and just putting a ring of padding around them? (As to replicate the sound enclosing quality..)

You could have the wires come down and slip into your breast pocket or other pocket, for an mp3 player or ipod.

Is this illegal?
Thanks,

Zeth

I found some speakers that are meant to go inside of those wrap around ear muffs (180's) They fit perfectly inside the upper portion of the removeable cheek pads in my helmet. I keep my ipod in my breast pocket of my jacket, and it works great. The speakers are about 1/4 inch thick and about an inch in diameter and put out decent sound. Would probbaly need an amp with a somewhat nosiy helmet.

If your plugging into a walkman style device... Take a pair of decent mini headphones that are about the size of your ears. There is a crevis in nearly all helmets right were your ear sits. A pocket if you will. IF you helmet pads are removable then remove the ear pad section. If they are not, take a sharp pointed exacto and open the bottom seam of that pad. Take off the foam on the ear pad and slide the earphone up into the ear pad. Stick some fabric velcro on both sides of the seam and close the pad cover. Run the wires out along the edge of the helmet and wedge it up into the helmet shell. (The space between the pads and the outter shell.

Plug it in and go ride. Earphones are always inside the helmet and work great.

Get a NOJ Quiet rider to cover the bottom or open part of the helmet to quiet everything up and you wont even need to turn it up loud. Done every helmet I ever had.

jD

Oh yeah, might actually be illegal in some states. Pretty sure it's illegal in Fla. I know it's illegal to wear a headset & drive a car here.

Or you can get something like these thin wall speakers and press them into the ear pocket area w/velcro.

Most states it's illegal to cover BOTH EARS but one is fine. THey would prefer you to use a single ear cell phone device so one ear is fine. I use both and never have problems hearing traffic/emergency vehicles.

Something about the red flashing lights...

JD

Last edited by a moderator:
If your plugging into a walkman style device...  Take a pair of decent mini headphones that are about the size of your ears.  There is a crevis in nearly all helmets right were your ear sits.  A pocket if you will.  IF you helmet pads are removable then remove the ear pad section.  If they are not, take a sharp pointed exacto and open the bottom seam of that pad.  Take off the foam on the ear pad and slide the earphone up into the ear pad.  Stick some fabric velcro on both sides of the seam and close the pad cover.  Run the wires out along the edge of the helmet and wedge it up into the helmet shell.  (The space between the pads and the outter shell.

Plug it in and go ride.  Earphones are always inside the helmet and work great.

Get a NOJ Quiet rider to cover the bottom or open part of the helmet to quiet everything up and you wont even need to turn it up loud.  Done every helmet I ever had.

jD
JD, how would that quiet rider be in a warm climate? Never used one...........

how would that quiet rider be in a warm climate? Never used one...........
Hot and quiet. I have those earbuds from koss they are like little squishy earplugs and they work great...excelent base output. Only prob for me is my left ear canal is reatarded and the bud falls out but i be jammin my azz off with the right one.

Or you can get something like these thin wall speakers and press them into the ear pocket area w/velcro.

Most states it's illegal to cover BOTH EARS but one is fine. THey would prefer you to use a single ear cell phone device so one ear is fine. I use both and never have problems hearing traffic/emergency vehicles.

JD
Hmmmm were would one get these at?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, might actually be illegal in some states. Pretty sure it's illegal in Fla. I know it's illegal to wear a headset & drive a car here.
I see morons smoking and talking on cell phones at same time while driving cars as well as people with full head sets on. so whats the difference?

And this is in FLA!!!

The NOJ quiet rider comes in three models that I know of. A winter version which is heavy duty and has a zipper opening around the chin to let air in. WORKS VERY NICE when cold too. There is a nylon one that breaths yet keeps out the air noise 90% or better IMO. I have em both and use the nylon in summer and the HD when it's turning to fall.

JD

speakers2.jpg

Most states it's illegal to cover BOTH EARS but one is fine.  THey would prefer you to use a single ear cell phone device so one ear is fine.  I use both and never have problems hearing traffic/emergency vehicles.

JD
Hmmmm were would one get these at?
http://www.clearercom.com

makes those speakers

Back