Helmet break in?

too many toys

Registered
Is there such a thing as helmet break in? My wife bought me a helmet from Icon for Christmas and she got the size I normally wear which is a 2x. The helmet fits fine once it is on but when I have to pull it on or off it squeezes my noggin pretty hard. I was wondering if it would "break in" or maybe I could do something to ease the process?

we do not care how it feels going on or off, if it fits correctly after it is on, that is what you want.. it should not exert that much "squeeze" on your head however.. a bit snug is good, tight is not.. a little squish on the cheek pads is pretty normal too

it is not going to loosen up very much if at all...

Last edited:
This is called the Helmet Mod

What you do is before putting the Helmet on take some Castrol 5W30 not 10/40 but 5W30and smear it all over your face, ( Please take pics ) you will notice the Helmet will slide on and off quite easily. However should you be invovled in a firey crash you are screwed.

Sorry dude I was bored and there was an opening.

Not sure if it will wear in or not, Never had that problem.

What you do is before putting the Helmet on take some Castrol 5W30 not 10/40 but 5W30and smear it all over your face, ( Please take pics ) you will notice the Helmet will slide on and off quite easily. However should you be invovled in a firey crash you are screwed.

Sorry dude I was bored and there was an opening.

Not sure if it will wear in or not, Never had that problem.

Thanks for the help. I just tried it and it works!

Wait a minute-- you were just kidding?! Now Im all slippery!
Oh well, Ill just have to go find my wife and make good use of it.:whistle:

Thanks for the help. I just tried it and it works!

Wait a minute-- you were just kidding?! Now Im all slippery!
Oh well, Ill just have to go find my wife and make good use of it.:whistle:

Glad I could help.

But please be carefull with the wife, Friction could cause a spark and then theres that firey crash.

I know I know :corner:

Helmets will 'break in'.

My experience with Arai's and Shoei's is that the foam will compress after time, and after sweating, and much on-and-off-ing.

So much so that you sometimes will have to replace those 'removeable pads'.

I cannot say what's going to happen with your Icon (I have two but haven't worn them enough to experience any compression), but as with most things, like even a finely oiled machine (in this case, apparently, your head), things deteriorate with age and use.

:rofl:

Good luck. Someone else recently recommended Pam, the no-stick helmet spray. :laugh:

Helmets will 'break in'.

My experience with Arai's and Shoei's is that the foam will compress after time, and after sweating, and much on-and-off-ing.

So much so that you sometimes will have to replace those 'removeable pads'.

I cannot say what's going to happen with your Icon (I have two but haven't worn them enough to experience any compression), but as with most things, like even a finely oiled machine (in this case, apparently, your head), things deteriorate with age and use.

:rofl:

Good luck. Someone else recently recommended Pam, the no-stick helmet spray. :laugh:

+1

I was lucky enough to find the Arai booth at Laguna Seca at the last AMA race the past September. The Arai guy did a great job helping me fit a helmet and he specifically mentioned that helmets generally break in with use. Don't remember exactly how long he said it would take or how much the padding would compress, but the idea was that if it's a touch to snug new, then it should break in to be just about right. Of course, this will have little effect on removing/putting on the helmet.

Best of luck! :beerchug:

Umm... :whistle:

For a new helmet...With helmet on, grab chin bar, hold neck stiff and try to rotate right/left. Helmet should not slide across face. Helmet should fit firmly against forehead and cheeks (face cheeks) and will compress. For mine it was about 3-4 weeks of daily use then felt as if it was custom-fitted. I have heard that the materials (foam/padding) break down and become less effective in a serious crash and that a helmet is good from 5 years from the manufacture date (found inside helmet). I have bought a new one every 2 years (discounted/closeouts) . So be cautious buying discounted helmets (old models)...always check the date.

For a new helmet...With helmet on, grab chin bar, hold neck stiff and try to rotate right/left. Helmet should not slide across face. Helmet should fit firmly against forehead and cheeks (face cheeks) and will compress. For mine it was about 3-4 weeks of daily use then felt as if it was custom-fitted. I have heard that the materials (foam/padding) break down and become less effective in a serious crash and that a helmet is good from 5 years from the manufacture date (found inside helmet). I have bought a new one every 2 years (discounted/closeouts) . So be cautious buying discounted helmets (old models)...always check the date.

Thats good info. Thanks.:beerchug:

I just bought a new Icon as well. I have the same issues, goes on fine, fits great with exception of a little snug at the cheek pads and quite tight removing it. I haven't had time to road test it yet with the cold weather but I'm keeping this size as I'm betting the cheek pads will compress with use.

What model did you get? Got pics yet?

Back