Helments

mr8ball

Registered
What do you guys think the best helmets is? I have a Shoei RF 1100 and I bought it new in late 07. The wind noise have got to be pretty bad. Do I replace it or replace the padding in it? I was told the Arai was great but have never tried one. I would love one a little quieter. Any thoughts on which is the quietest one out their?

I found this website Motorcycle Helmet Noise tests and it has some pretty good info on it but just wondering what others thought are. I road over 2 hrs Sat at speeds of 70 or so and it took almost 3 hrs for my hearing to get back to normal… Thanks in advance

What do you guys think the best helmets is? I have a Shoei RF 1100 and I bought it new in late 07. The wind noise have got to be pretty bad. Do I replace it or replace the padding in it? I was told the Arai was great but have never tried one. I would love one a little quieter. Any thoughts on which is the quietest one out their?

If you bought it in 2007, I'm pretty sure it's either one of the last RF-900's or a very early RF-1000. Definitely not an 1100. I say that to tell you that the RF-1100 is a big improvement over those models in noise reduction. It seals up much better around the bottom of the helmet, especially around the back of your neck.

I just bought an Arai Corsair V, but haven't been able to ride with it yet. I will mention that where the Shoei helmets feel like a foam material on your head, this Arai feels like a nice pillow.

From everything I've been told, the quietest helmet in a model line is usually one notch below the top racing model for a given brand. For example, the Shoei RF-1100 would be quieter than the X-Twelve, and the Arai RX-Q would be quieter than the Corsair V. Maybe someone else knows more about that.

The most important thing is to get one that fits your head. My RF-1100 doesn't fit quite as well as my old RF-1000 did, even though it has nice features. Neither of them seem to fit as well as the Corsair V, but I haven't had it out in the wind yet.

The biggest thing you can do to preserve your hearing on a motorcycle is wear earplugs. I do it almost all the time.

The biggest thing you can do to preserve your hearing on a motorcycle is wear earplugs. I do it almost all the time.
Thanks for the info. Maybe it is the 1000. It was late 07 when I got it. I know its not the 900. I have the scala head set and would not be able to here my music on long trips with ear plugs in that is why I was wondering. Could you let me know how yours works for you what you get time? Thanks in advance

RF1000 came out in 2005 I believe, and the RF1100 came out in december of 09 or January of 10.

The RF1100 is quieter than the RF1000 was. You might be able to change the padding out but it would probably be best to contact Shoei to see if it is possible.

Thanks for the info. Maybe it is the 1000. It was late 07 when I got it. I know its not the 900. I have the scala head set and would not be able to here my music on long trips with ear plugs in that is why I was wondering. Could you let me know how yours works for you what you get time? Thanks in advance

I know how you feel, I have the Scala setup too. If I'm riding by myself, I'll use earbuds for music. They sound better and block out most of the wind anyway. If I'm riding with someone else, I still use earplugs and can hear them just fine through the speakers. Actually, I can hear them better an higher speeds because the earplugs reduce the wind noise more than the speaker sound.

I'll post up here after I get to try the new helmet out, but I know there are others here that have one too.

I currently own a Arai Quantum II (which is pretty much silent.. I love this helmet) only dislike is changing the visor is kinda a btch and I own a brand new Shoei RF-1100 and the wind noise is still there, just not that bad. I usually wear headphones or ear plugs so I really don't notice it. I like both helmets and you can't can't go wrong with either one.

There is no such thing as a quiet helmet IMO. There are some that are better than others and some that don't "whistle", but the only real way to quiet your ride is with ear plugs.

I, myself, am an Arai fan over the Shoei. Especially in the higher-end models, the padding on the Arai is unbeatable as far as quality and feel.

I can make you a killer deal on either if you want

I guess I'm cheap I have 3 . Icon, Scorpion & HJC out of the 3 I like the Scorpion the best.. It is really quiet .

There is no such thing as a quiet helmet IMO. There are some that are better than others and some that don't "whistle", but the only real way to quiet your ride is with ear plugs.

I, myself, am an Arai fan over the Shoei. Especially in the higher-end models, the padding on the Arai is unbeatable as far as quality and feel.

I can make you a killer deal on either if you want

Hey thanks, I will call you when I decide what I want.

Well, I decided to buy the IIcon Airframe Carbon Fiber. It was said to be a lot quitter then the Shoie RF 1000 that I have. It is 5 years old and I have to say the new one is about the same as the old one. For the price of $400.00 I would think it would be much quitter. Sorry I just expected more. Here is a pic of the IIcon. It looks great and is light but...

DSC_0085.jpg

If you wanna keep wind noise down and do not have speakers on your bike, I found the best thing is Apple brand Marshmellow earbuds. They expand just like earplugs and you can listen to your iPod with no wind noise. They are GREAT:cheerleader:

Dont get a scorpion unless you like wearing a tea kettle on your head. It whistles all the time. Where and what ear plugs do you guys use ? I need some and they dont have them by me.

If you wanna keep wind noise down and do not have speakers on your bike, I found the best thing is Apple brand Marshmellow earbuds. They expand just like earplugs and you can listen to your iPod with no wind noise. They are GREAT:cheerleader:

I have the Scala head set but with the shoie I could still here the noise. I had to send it back yesterday because it would not charge anymore. Maybe it will be better when I get that back. I really hate to ware ear plugs but it's looking like I will have to.

icon helmets should never ever come up in a topic regarding quiet helmet unless you are saying with clear definition what NOT to get. Those things are so stinking loud and made so cheap even on the high end models it isnt even funny.

Very much a gimmic and looks helmet. They got my $400 bucks for my first helmet too.........then I rode on the interstate and I have a RF1100 now. I still wear ear plugs.

I have the Scala head set but with the shoie I could still here the noise. I had to send it back yesterday because it would not charge anymore. Maybe it will be better when I get that back. I really hate to ware ear plugs but it's looking like I will have to.

Interesting... When I bought our set, one of them wouldn't take a charge either. Cardo was very friendly about it and quick to send out a replacement. Never had any issues since then. Great customer service... :thumbsup:

icon helmets should never ever come up in a topic regarding quiet helmet unless you are saying with clear definition what NOT to get. Those things are so stinking loud and made so cheap even on the high end models it isnt even funny.

Very much a gimmic and looks helmet. They got my $400 bucks for my first helmet too.........then I rode on the interstate and I have a RF1100 now. I still wear ear plugs.

As good as Icon helmets look, I have to agree with you... They definitely put more effort into form than function.

Back