Your thoughs on buying used helments?

spencerrr

Registered
]

140 shipped, good find on ebay or not, shoei diabolic zero rf 1000, I have read the reviews anyone else want to let me know how they like this helment

shoei 002.jpg[/ATTACH]bought this on ebay today, do you guys trust used helments. 140 shipped, good find or not. shoei diabolic zero rf 1000shoei 005.jpg

shoei 006.jpg

shoei 010.jpg

shoei 003.jpg

shoei 008.jpg

shoei 005.jpg

shoei 006.jpg

shoei 010.jpg

shoei 003.jpg

shoei 008.jpg

shoei 002.jpg

used for how long? any reasons they are selling (ie dropped it, etc)? Generally I wouldnt buy a used one if I didnt know the person but that one looks really clean and you can clean it before you use it. The price is certainly a good deal for that lid though :beerchug:

Looks pretty clean. It's hit or miss with used helmets on the flea.
I have had very good success and better luck with used helmet purchases.
Ask lots of questions, check feedback and ask for their refund policy. Any reputable seller will back up his/her claims w/ a money back guarantee.
I wouldn't consider/buy anything older than 2-3 years old.

I wouldn't buy a used helmet unless it was in great shape, and a great price. That looks to be both.

Ive had an RF-1000 for three or four years. Great lid, though thankfully I've never had to test it. I will say that while I've heard the X-11 is better, the RF is a comfortable, reasonably quiet, fairly light and extremely comfortable helmet. I think I paid close to $500 when I got mine, that seems like a steal. Plus, it's Shoei, so you know it's good :)

It is a nice helmet but I like the peace of mind knowing I bought new (false sense of security I guess lol). Another thing is hygiene, I know I sweat in my shoei and I probably would snicker a bit if someone else would try it on.

Rockethead using Tapatalk

I would never by a used helmet. They may have been dropped and even though there is no damage or maybe even just a scratch on it. No way to tell how the shell is.. Just me though. I'd rather have a new HJC than a used a Shoei with a "?" on it when I am gearing up for a ride. good luck which ever way you go.

i have no problems buying a used lid if i can visually inspect it in person. i have bought a lot of used lids over the years and havent been disappointed in one yet.

yeah, you know anyone selling anything is going to put the best spin on it as possible, buyer beware we will see when it comes. all the reviews have been good, so I hope i got a deal

you know what's funny is, I played high school football in the mid 80's for 3 years and all our helments were from what looked like the 60-70's, and just got handed down year after year. what was the point I was trying to make again:duh::duh: Oh and we took pride in putting that helment on helment . you know to get the other teams paint on your helment, for bragging rights.

It is a nice helmet but I like the peace of mind knowing I bought new (false sense of security I guess lol). Another thing is hygiene, I know I sweat in my shoei and I probably would snicker a bit if someone else would try it on.

Rockethead using Tapatalk

???
Do you not wash the interior of your helmets?

ah...eeewww:Oo:

Looks like a nice find. As others have mentioned, not knowing if it has been dropped is a concern, but that could be a concern for any helmet.

If you don't trust it, just send it to me for testing purposes!!! :whistle:

Just make sure the inside is clean. I just picked up a copper busa helmet and it smells like its previous owner...yecchh!
Anyone know how to clean/sterilize a uses helmet, btw?

Just make sure the inside is clean. I just picked up a copper busa helmet and it smells like its previous owner...yecchh!
Anyone know how to clean/sterilize a uses helmet, btw?

Put it in the bathtub, was it with shampoo, rinse well with warm water, stuff a towel in it to absorb as much water as you can and then blow dry it to finish.
That's what I do once a month with mine. Comes out like new.

hygiene is my big thing. Do you really want to wear someone elses sweaty headgear?? I wouldnt want to wear my helmets if they didnt belong to me..just sayin. The RF1000 is a great helmet. I own one, the liner is not replaceable but the cheek liners are. My ICON Airframe on the other hand... you can replace all the stuff inside that gets "dirty". After all that...the pics of the helmet you are looking at... It looks like new, so maybe its a good deal. The price is fantastic!

Cant you just pull all the pads and wash them ?? I dont have a shoei, but I can with the hjc,scorpion and icon lids..Just a thought

This is interesting....from the Shoei North America site!

Does Shoei offer any type of impact inspection service?

Yes, Shoei offers a free impact inspection service for any Shoei helmet.* To have your helmet inspected, please send it to;

Shoei Helmets
3002 Dow Ave
Suite 128
Tustin, CA 92780
Attn: Inspections

Be sure to include a letter with a brief description of the issue with the helmet, as well as a daytime phone number and return address. Once we receive the helmet it will take 1-3 business days to complete the inspection. Upon completion the helmet is returned to you with a letter stating the findings of our inspection. Your helmet is returned to you if it passes the inspection or not. There is no charge for the inspection, and the UPS Ground return shipping is free. To see a video on how to pack your helmet for shipping, click here.

*For USA and Canada residents only.

Back