Helibars, spacers and brake lines

Johnny Bravo

Registered
I currently have 1" spacers on my Gen II, so I ordered my Galfer lines in a +1". No problem.

I am considering getting Helibars and getting a slightly shorter spacer (either 1/2" or 3/4").

Will my Galfers +1" be enough for Helibars AND a small spacer?

I ran 1 inch gen mar risers with heli bars. Stock lines without any issues.

What you've got to check and make sure of:

1. The lines to get too taunt at full front extension of the suspension
2. The brake reservoir doesn't hit the windscreen and block full right-left travel.

+1
I had heli-bars with .75" risers and stock length ss lines.
Plenty of slack.

It seems like the factory lines must have more slack than custom lines.

I took a closer look at my Galfer +1's last night and it looks like even with the 1" spacers, I should have enough room for some Heli-bars also.

It seems like the factory lines must have more slack than custom lines.

I took a closer look at my Galfer +1's last night and it looks like even with the 1" spacers, I should have enough room for some Heli-bars also.

You will.
Heli-bars with 1"spacers may cause the master cyliders to rub the inside of the windsheild though.
You need to ask BigE about that.
My .75" risers with heli-bars had the mc's so close to the inner windsheild that you could only slide a piece of paper between them and the windsheild. It was close.

You wil also have to remove the throttle cable bracket that is on the right side of the frame in front of the gas tank.
Put the bolt back in and you'll never notice it gone. It won't cause any issues.

This is where the small bracket/clamp was.
You can see the bolt.

SDC11033.jpg

You will.
Heli-bars with 1"spacers may cause the master cyliders to rub the inside of the windsheild though.
You need to ask BigE about that.
My .75" risers with heli-bars had the mc's so close to the inner windsheild that you could only slide a piece of paper between them and the windsheild. It was close.

You wil also have to remove the throttle cable bracket that is on the right side of the frame in front of the gas tank.
Put the bolt back in and you'll never notice it gone. It won't cause any issues.

Awesome. Thank you.

I think I'm going to order the Heli-bars and see what happens with the 1" spacers on my double bubble windscreen. If that combo won't clear, I'll remove the 1" spacers and find some 3/4" spacers.

Appreciate the tip on the throttle cable bracket.

Where did you get your 3/4" spacers? I have the 1" spacers like yours, but the only 3/4" spacers I've seen are the GenMar's for like $140. Mine were only $20. I'd like to find some cheap 3/4" spacers.

Awesome. Thank you.

I think I'm going to order the Heli-bars and see what happens with the 1" spacers on my double bubble windscreen. If that combo won't clear, I'll remove the 1" spacers and find some 3/4" spacers.

Appreciate the tip on the throttle cable bracket.

Where did you get your 3/4" spacers? I have the 1" spacers like yours, but the only 3/4" spacers I've seen are the GenMar's for like $140. Mine were only $20. I'd like to find some cheap 3/4" spacers.

My Dad cut my .75" spacers from ss bar stock on the lathe and drilled them.
I just sold the spacers and heli-bars last week.
I have seen .75" spacers on ebay before though.
Any machine shop can cut your 1" spacers down too, and it should be cheap as it's an easy job.

Any machine shop can cut your 1" spacers down too, and it should be cheap as it's an easy job.

Would I need to cut my bolts down as well?

Doubtful, but possible.
My spacers started out at 1.5"(as tall as you can go on stock lines and clear inner windsheild).
I had my Dad cut them to .75" when I got the heli-bars later on.
I forgot to get him to cut the bolts at that time.
When I put everything together the ends of the bolts were contacting the frame and preventing from steering all the way left or right.
That was .75" of thread sticking out though, as opposed to .25" if you cut your spacers from 1" to .75" .
I don't think there will be any clearance issues.

Back