Heavier Valve Springs and Retainers (any advntges?)

RedFalco

Donating Member
Registered
In the process of pulling cylinder head for gasket replacement and head inspection. Any advantages in upgrading to heavier valve springs (65lbs w/ .520 coil bind) and titanium retainers? Not necessarily looking for a bigger shot so much as I am reliability. I'm already pushing the boundaries w/ my current setup on all stock internals.
(.38 jet tuned in at putting down 50.29 extra hp)
Thank you.

i would say it wouldnt hurt. heavier springs will help eliminate valve float at higher RPM's and help snap the valve closed which will aid in valve cooling on the valve seat. my .02

Dont bother with Ti retainers. Stock retainers are lighter than Ti retainers. I had problems with Ti retainers and shims years ago. The shims wallow out in the hole and spit a shim.

Dont bother with Ti retainers. Stock retainers are lighter than Ti retainers. I had problems with Ti retainers and shims years ago. The shims wallow out in the hole and spit a shim.

??? Stock retainers will handle the added poundage from the heavier springs?

I run 72lbs spring pressure. I have never heard of a retainer failing on a Busa. A bunch of us found out that Ti Retainers were not the way to go.

In the process of pulling cylinder head for gasket replacement and head inspection. Any advantages in upgrading to heavier valve springs (65lbs w/ .520 coil bind) and titanium retainers? Not necessarily looking for a bigger shot so much as I am reliability. I'm already pushing the boundaries w/ my current setup on all stock internals.
(.38 jet tuned in at putting down 50.29 extra hp)
Thank you.

If your spraying it the springs are a must!
As for the retainers, dont waste your money!

Done deal... 65lb Springs it will be. Gonna throw some heavy duty studs and nuts at it for good measure.
Nudda question;
A performance (std size) valve job. I'm currently tuned and dialed in w/ my nitrous setup with the help of Smithabusas' ECU flashing and nitrous electronic goodies. What are the advantages of said valve job and would I need to get the bike retuned for both engine and nitrous maps?

Done deal... 65lb Springs it will be. Gonna throw some heavy duty studs and nuts at it for good measure.
Nudda question;
A performance (std size) valve job. I'm currently tuned and dialed in w/ my nitrous setup with the help of Smithabusas' ECU flashing and nitrous electronic goodies. What are the advantages of said valve job and would I need to get the bike retuned for both engine and nitrous maps?

Disregard... Stupid question with alittle help and more research on valve jobs through service manual. [Answer: No... & No]

I'm sitting at 14500 miles on my bike and as said, I'll be pulling the head for inspection and gasket replacement along with sending it off to APE for head resurface and heavier valve spring installation (if head shows no signs of visible cracks). I'm assuming that a valve service and/or job by APE will completely cover the "tappet clearance" inspection as part of the "periodic maintenance chart" / scheduale referrancing 15K miles. Pending the valve seats are good; APE will install springs, inspect, clean combustion chambers along with valves and lap valves in as part of their 16valve head service. If the valve seats need to be done, I'll fall into a "performance valve job" service package. I'm in belief that all bases are covered and I's' are dotted:

• Head Resurface
  • 16valve head service and/or performance valve job (pending seat clearances..etc)
  • 65lb valve spring replacement / install
  • replace valve guide seals
  • Purchase heavy duty studs and nuts w/ intall tool
  • Purchase pair valve block-off plates and seals (loosing weight and getting rid of the marble)
  • replace head gasket with Cometic (std / stock sizing)

Think that'll do'er'... Now back to your regular schedualed POSTs review.
thanks everyone!!

You would replace the spring so you dont get coil bind under high rpm. Stock retainers Are strong enough for your application.

Back