Valve Spring Retainers

OB_Jay

Registered
Both the GSXR750 and the busa have aluminum retainers. Finding some should be easy as all the race teams take them out because of the problem of the keepers pulling through, and replace them with titanium.

Why not just put titanium in your ZX11. For less than 200 bucks it is goog insurance against a valve winding up inside the cylinder.

Jay

Jamie,
Listen to Jay here. Aluminum retainers are JUNK. They are a hold over from when there was no alternative to heavy steel retainers. Most racers who used to use aluminum retainers threw them away after every race and put new ones on. Ti retainers have the light weight of aluminum and the strength (read reliability) of steel. Only way to go.

Yeah Jay, I already have your retainers sitting here waiting for the valves to come out of it. I just wondered if the aluminums were any good. Why would Zuki use stuff that is dated?

Hey fellas,

While talking to the guy at Lazer Porting he mentioned that the Busa and the SRAD have anodized aluminum retainers. Any truth to that?

What are the spring sizes (O.D.s) on the Busa and SRAD? If they are aluminum I might try to put a set on my ZX-11. I think Brock said he was using GSXR springs on his ZX. I'm looking at puting 32.5mm intakes in this time and maybe a set of springs. If I need to reengineer the the head to use GSXR springs so that I can run the aluminum retainers that'd be the time to do it.

Jamie

to improve the durability of your ti retainers polish the top face of the spring it will stop the retainer being etched away by the shot peened finish of the spring.

Back