valve springs and seat pressure

OB_cbxchris

Registered
Stock valve spring pressure is 42 lbs. at the seat... the stock springs are 80 thousands from coil bind with a stock cam. My question is...Carpenter says his springs put somewhere between 68-75 lbs of seat pressure... these are automotive springs ....with the mild web cams its hard for me to believe you need that kind of seat pressure...50-55 maybe. You can run the stockers but I would rather not. Has anyone tried anything else or does anyone know of someone producing a spring for the bus. Carpenter also said aluminum retainers work fine but I`m going with APE ...better safe than sorry. All help is appreciated...hopefully Jay will comment on this.

TRY PERFORMANCE MACHINE VALVE SPRINGS
WEBB CAMS IN CALIFRONIA ... RIVERSIDE I BELIEVE KNOW ALL ABOUT THE "BUSA" ASK FOR lORI

Sorry but have went that route. The guy that owns PM is going to England Tuesday with a friend(distributor)...I`m going to hit him up about it. Looks like Carpenter has the market right now...for a big cam its probably fine...but this is not a big cam. All I can see from it is excessive wear...the stock busa has no valve problems at 42...1 mm will not make that much of a difference.

THE STOCK ONE'S I HAVE TESTED HAVE 55LBS SEAT PRESSURE.MAYBE YOU AREN'T COUNTING THE SPRING BASE? ANY WAY I HAVE A SPRING KIT AVALABLE MADE BY PM FOR ANOTHER MODEL THAT GIVES 52 LBS SEAT PRESSURE AND WILL TAKE UP TO 11MM LIFT CAMS. I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THEM. I USE STOCK RETAINERS BUT THATS YOUR CALL. THE KIT SELLS FOR $200

Lee I`ve talked to some other people that have checked at 42lbs. What spring kit are you refering to(model)...I`d like to try them and see how they work. It will depend also how deep the valves are in the head. Thanks!

I CHECKED TWO SPRINGS ONE NEW AND ONE WITH 2000 MILES,BOTH ON A NEW HEAD THAT HAS NEVER HAD A VALVE JOB. THE NEW ONE HAD 53LBS AND THE USED HAD 52LBS OF SEAT PRESSURE.ASSEMBLED HEIGHT WAS 34.5 MM.ALTHOUGH LACK OF SEAT PRESSURE IS NOT THE CAUSE OF VALVE FLOAT.IT'S REALLY FULL LIFT THAT COUNTS.I'M SURE KIM DOESN'T MIND DOING YOUR R+D FOR FREE! HE HAS PLENTY OF SPARE TIME.

I'LL CHECK ANOTHER ONE TODAY AND LET YOU KNOW THE RESULTS. IF I TELL YOU WHAT MODEL I'LL HAVE TO KILL YOU!! BUT IF YOU BUY A SET YOU WILL BE FINE. ANCIENT CHINESE SECRET GRASS SMOKER!!!I MEAN GRASS HOPPER!!

Lee thanks for the feedback. Kim at Carolina Cycle is doing serdi work...he`s got enough springs to choke a mule being a PM distributor.

Thanks Lee I`ll recheck them again. Will at PM is working on a spring for the busa now.The ferrea 1mm over valve is 4 grams lighter than a stock valve on intake side. Yeah Kim`s like everyone else this time of year getting busy.

Lee;

I will be sending you a spring and retainer to check out. You should have it mid next week. Get back to me when you have had a chance to evaluate it.

Jay

Back