Header Wrap

i've been wanting to do this for a while i bought a spare header off ebay for a penny so i can have the regular one in teh winter to help my legs keep warm and the wraped one in the summer so my legs don't absolutely cook the hp gain would be nice too!

Do you have to buy a new gasket for the header when you put it back on???

I've had mine off and on several times and never replaced the gaskets.

I used black header wrap, but have since discovered that the heat and weathering has turned the wrap to white. The only thing I would do different that what I did here was not wrap the bottom tubes....if you're lowered. I scraped one day and tore the wrap all to hell on the bottom. For weeks I had header wrap dangling from the bottom of my bike. Just wrap to the bottom of the main tubes is good enough.

I also used the water method when wrapping, works very well. There is a write up:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-mods/78738-muffler-cloth-tape-headers.html

IMG_4850.jpg

IMG_4851.jpg

IMG_4852.jpg

IMG_4853.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i used the water method also and didn't have any problems with smoking or smells after the first ride (Springfield, MO to Alton, IL)...i would recommend wearing a pair of medical gloves while wrapping the pipes as i was digging fiberglass from between my fingers for several days afterward :beerchug:

Gloves are mandatory :laugh:

I don't have any good pics of mine wrapped this is as close as I can get. I'll have to take some more detailed pics during the winter when I have some time.

PA115382.jpg

I use to use the black header wrap but as Thebbbusa stated; on a lowered bike one scrap over a speed bump or a bad driveway egress and it gets torn and next thing it's dangling like an Irish pendant. And the smell when it gets wet is awful. I use to get it from a performance shop here that sells it by the foot. Now I removed the lower bracket between the two fairings and use heat tape on the insides of the fairings. Problem solved.

Adam if you didn't use latex house paint you wouldn't have smokey mo:laugh:

I guess you found some more wrap.

Adam if you didn't use latex house paint you wouldn't have smokey mo:laugh:

I guess you found some more wrap.

Yeah I found some at cycle gear.. Latex house paint you know how we roll here in Texas all redneck that was my only option :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've had header wrap on my HMFs for a couple years...I hate the stuff and
won't do it again. I mean it's alright but the black paint doesn't last for that
long, plus it causes clearance problems with my oil filter and it's just not the
best applicaiton for the job. I want to either jet coat or cermic coat in black,
just haven't gotten around to it and had the money at the same time.

Any and every (sport) bike I EVER DO from now on will have the pipes coated
prior to installation. Carve it in stone...

Back