turbo header wrap?

jeremy78233

Registered
I recently wrapped my turbo headers and down pipe but have been told my headers willl either rust or crack from holding in to much heat. Is anyone else wrapping their headers or is this a bad idea?

TURBO 13.JPG

does jethot coating reduce radiant heat from the headers as well as wrapping them or better? Cost? Where can I get it done?

Wrapping for drag racing seems to have little ill effect on the pipes.. for the road.. if you are going to wrap the pipe, I would suggest only a single layer.. (yes too much insulation is bad) IF I was going to use a wrap on the hot side, I would use a one piece blanket rather than the wrap you are using all the same..

I also like the Jet-hot coatings for street use.. (is all we ever used on street apps and on the zoomies to the Fuel Car)

If you have to coat then hands down Zercotec is #1 with their coating. Trust me there is no better.

i've only heard of headers cracking with cheap aftermarket headers and poorly welded headers cause this is on my to do list of mods already have the spare header and the wrap just to lazy to put it on

headers crack from thinner material and SS is prone to cracking due to becoming brittle(from heat cycles) and cracking from the stress of the turbo weight and the vibration doesnt help either

ive had a header crack a few different times and a wastegate fall off too

jethot is a very very good coating to get
yes it reduces radiant heat from the header (better then a wrap) (you can touch the headers within a few minutes of shutdown)
it is a good heat sheild and also protects the header, and anything else coated (we do exhaust housings too)
cost ranges from 250+ depending on what all you have coated

Last edited:
I applied a tech line coatings product and was pleased with the results. You can apply it yourself and it is relatively inexpensive. If I wanted the best of the best, the Jet-hot ceramic coatings are the best out there. Checkout their website. Techlinecoatings.com

Back