Header pics

BrutalBusa

Registered
I'm Gearing up to start my DIY turbo kit. Any thoughts on the header construction? I'd like to use the least amount space and get the best performance to feed a garrett GT30. Maybe some peeps could post a picture or two of thier header to give me some ideas. I'm also concerned about NOT having an oil cooler..............does this cause any overheating issues?
Thanks in advance, Dan

Before the site makeover the code for the bump smiley was :bump:

We (members) bump the threads to keep them at the top so you will get the most visibility and a good answer. "Bump" it to the top.

Its also considered post ho-ing by some.

bump.gif

You don't need an oil cooler unless your going to Bonniville. We run them in Phoenix in 120 degree weather in stop and go traffic with 0 issues because of no oil cooler.

-

(TurboProstreet @ Oct. 27 2006,17:26) You don't need an oil cooler unless your going to Bonniville. We run them in Phoenix in 120 degree weather in stop and go traffic with 0 issues because of no oil cooler.

-
Trur, I ahve but on 30,000 miles with not oil cooler in all kinds of temps.

(heavybusa @ Oct. 28 2006,09:16) Before the site makeover the code for the bump smiley was :bump:

We (members) bump the threads to keep them at the top so you will get the most visibility and a good answer. "Bump" it to the top.

Its also considered post ho-ing by some.

bump.gif
Thanks, HeavyBusa  
So at least i can take the oil cooler off my list of things to worry about, That only leaves about 1001 other things to think about.

Pics you wanted ,
Gt35r pic taken before the header was finished, 321 stainless from Burns ss 1 5/8 .header flange isn't welded to the pipes, using collars so it can move with the heat expansion but still locate the pipes for easy remove and replace.
headers002.jpg

I have other pics of headers but can't load photobucket or direct upload here because of a sat/isdn connection that pisses me off .
Pm me if you want more .

Hey OZ, are you going to use an external wastegate? If so, where will you mount it? I had planned on running my 4 pipes into a small collector then putting the wastegate on the collector......does that sound like it would work? I'm sure i'll have a lot of posts going up in the future...I know how a turbo works in theory and even in practice, but not sure about real specific stuff (never having one a bike before). Thanks again, Dan

That pic is a couple of years old, the wastegate pipe is welded to the exhaust housing just below the header flange .
It would be difficult to put the wastegate pipe as your describing and keep the turbo high enough to drain without needing an oil pump.

(BrutalBusa @ Oct. 28 2006,06:08) I'm Gearing up to start my DIY turbo kit. Any thoughts on the header construction? I'd like to use the least amount space and get the best performance to feed a garrett GT30. Maybe some peeps could post a picture or two of thier header to give me some ideas. I'm also concerned about NOT having an oil cooler..............does this cause any overheating issues?
Thanks in advance, Dan
I just started my DIY project. I am building a 225-250 hp setup to ride as a road racer. More power is simply not needed. Drag racing and top speed riding is really cool,........but I enjoy kneedragging much more. This may or may not help,.........but this is my header that is just finished. I'm using a smaller turbo than most,......so I'm keeping my oil cooler. Good luck on your DIY!!!

DSC00059.JPG

(OZBooster @ Oct. 29 2006,19:02) Pics you wanted ,
Gt35r pic taken before the header was finished, 321 stainless from Burns ss 1 5/8 .header flange isn't welded to the pipes, using collars so it can move with the heat expansion but still locate the pipes for easy remove and replace.
headers002.jpg

I have other pics of headers but can't load photobucket or direct upload here because of a sat/isdn connection that pisses me off .
Pm me  if you want more .
PM sent

i never thought of putting a intercooler there....where did ya get that idea? just askin cuz it looks like it might get heat soaked by the motor cuz there isnt much air flow through there??

I have some friends that have intercoolers there , one has datalogged temps and they look reasonable,his gets a little warmer idling but the air used by the engine keeps it less than general undertank temps and as soon as your moving directed ram air and air taken in above the radiator are directed across the cooler from top to bottom .
This core is small and only enough for my low boost stock compression bike but i'm more interested in the results that outright performance.

looks pretty bad ass reguardless! lookn at these pics makes me want to go out and put the new motor in my bike lol not that its worm enough to ride it

Back