More DIY turbo ?'s

BrutalBusa

Registered
I started fitting my turbo tonight (Garrett GT30 VNT). The Turbo seems to fit better and be "happy" with it offset about 3/4 to 1 inch to the left. The VNT mechanics take up a bit more room than one without it. Would there be any problems with it sitting a bit off center? Sitting the way it is now the radiator fits nice the oil filter can stay where it is and there is plenty of room to fab up a wastegate on the right hand side as well.
Another question...........Can i just remove the oil cooler and substitute the turbo oil lines in place of the original oil cooler?
Thanks in advance, Dan

(BrutalBusa @ Nov. 04 2006,23:50) I started fitting my turbo tonight (Garrett GT30 VNT). The Turbo seems to fit better and be "happy" with it offset about 3/4 to 1 inch to the left. The VNT mechanics take up a bit more room than one without it. Would there be any problems with it sitting a bit off center? Sitting the way it is now the radiator fits nice the oil filter can stay where it is and there is plenty of room to fab up a wastegate on the right hand side as well.
Another question...........Can i just remove the oil cooler and substitute the turbo oil lines in place of the original oil cooler?
Thanks in advance, Dan
Position the turbo where it best fits. A small offset like that is no problem. The turbo MUST however be installed high enough for gravity draining or your going to need a pump.

You cannot utilize the oil cooler lines. That isn't how a turbo bearing housing is feed or drained. This link explains the issues - http://tinyurl.com/8eos7

The cooler connections can be plugged with pipe plugs like this - http://tinyurl.com/ycru28
and the restrictor that was located in the 1 oclock position must be removed - http://tinyurl.com/yljygm

Any suggestions on how to get oil to and from the turbo? Are there any lines/passages that i can utilize? The Oil outlet on the turbo is above the Crankcase oil line now, and i can raise it another 1/2" or 3/4" if i need to. Thanks, Dan

Thanks for the info.............I don't know anyone that has a turbo on thier thier bike that i could even look at. So i'm needing to ask a lot of Questions, Thanks again..Dan

Suggest you do a lot of basic research before starting so you will know in advance how each part of the system is going to work and the engineering behind them. If you don't approach it that way you may find that you have built isn't going to work very well for one reason or another. I have a ton of building info on my board and there are several excellant turbo bike publication available which are also listed somewhere on the site.

It's the very specific things i don't know (where to tap for oil as an example) I do understand quite a bit about turbos in theory and in practice. Most of my questions are part of research and learning, I just have a limited library to draw from. The knowledge represented on this board is probably as vast and as good as i could find anywhere....................Thanks for the help and advice,  Dan

you actually can use the oil cooler feed as the turbo feed....i did. BUT, i wouldnt do it again. it was a pain, and i would rather take off the feed like the other guy had or T the oil pressure sensor and tap that. but yeah, DONT use the return. you MAY (i would recommend NOT) using the feed, but dont use the drain. put it back to the pan with some kind of fitting and make sure you turbo drain starts higher than the oil level on the bike.

Back