dual boost and vent technology

Quiksilver

Registered
So I was looking around the net and came across a turbo garrett is calling dual boost. Is seems to have a double sided compressor wheel. Says that it creates boost a good bit faster than a standard turbo. I also came across a vnt turbo. Variable geometry turbos have these fins that change move to help decrease spool time and can move to create top end boost. Very cool stuff. It seems this could help with fuel economy create great response and best off all some serious power. I was thinking what if these two technology's were brought together into one unit? It seems the vnt technology is very complicated though. I believe vnt turbos are used on some diesel applicatons? I also came across a video on Koenigsegg and how they have a similar turbo but not as complicated as far as technology. They said they were having problems machining so they 3d printed the turbo in stainless steel. Again very cool stuff I am curious to see how far turbo technology can go.

I have a 2011 Ford Superduty with a 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel. It has a dual compressor wheel and VNT turbo like you described. It puts out 400 HP and 800 ft lbs torque. They canned it in favor of a single wheel VNT compressor for 2015 which puts out more HP and TQ 440 HP and 860 lb ft. of torque with a much simpler implementation. VNT technology has been around for a long time and many cars use it. Implementation is complicated especialliy on my trucks engine. Two cooling systems, reverse flow heads and associated turbo/intercooling plumbing and an EGR system that's larger than most cars cylinder heads makes it pretty darned complicated. Responsiveness on the low end is only slightly improved but when she spools up above 10 PSI to max 22 PSI she runs like a raped ape. I am looking forward to test driving the 2015 to see the differences.

local guy here has a 1000hp single turbo mustang that has the dual compressor on a billet compressor wheel. its looks awesome but you would have to see a true side-by-side comparison. ford may have dumped theirs due to overall cost compared to putting a bigger turbo on.

if you like to experiment you might wanna try an Aerocharger.
I seen them on the Polaris RZR 1000 and it really goes.
Due to the vatn design you can have maximum boost as low as 3500rpm.
the downside is a lot of moving parts and the vatn can only be mounted in certain positions since it has its own oil system.

Back