gone with the oil cooler?

bubba_zenetti

Registered
do you really have to ditch the oil cooler to fit a turbo? the information i have gathered suggests that it is no longer used. any problems associated with this or is this the norm for all street turbo setups?

most turbos bikes do not use the oil cooler, the stock one must go, if you want a cooler i have one that will fit a turbo, i decided not to run one on mine. if you decide not to run one on yours take the filter off and take the block screw out of the top so more oil will flow into the filter

most turbos bikes do not use the oil cooler, the stock one must go, if you want a cooler i have one that will fit a turbo, i decided not to run one on mine. if you decide not to run one on yours take the filter off and take the block screw out of the top so more oil will flow into the filter
+1. Make SURE you remove the screw from behind the oil filter.

If your running a drag bike or on the street for relatvely short runs the oil cooler is pretty useless, but if you ride a lot or in traffic keep the cooler, most turbo shops can supply kits to keep the stock cooler but there are some aftermarket pieces that look good

If your running a drag bike or on the street for relatvely short runs the oil cooler is pretty useless, but if you ride a lot or in traffic keep the cooler, most turbo shops can supply kits to keep the stock cooler but there are some aftermarket pieces that look good
LIKE THIS ONE
08busa001.jpg

i plan on riding this machine on the street as a low boost application. i am sure i will probably get silly after becoming addicted and step it up later but for now it has to remain reliable for long distance rides.

when this kit was on turbojohns bike, his did not spool until around 5k. my idea is i can still ride the bike in town below 5k and if i want to get dirty, i ride past 5k and zip around for short bursts.

at any rate, an oil cooler sounds like a good idea.

people have mentioned this restrictor screw in the oil filter, can someone be more descriptive on its looks and location. pics are helpful if anyone has one.

thanks again guys.

its just a big allen screw above where the filter threads on, the only thing in there that can come out.

how does an oil cooler help you in traffic? you need air passing thru the cooler to actually cool it. thats why you have a radiator fan. if i am sitting in stop and go traffic in 90 degree weather what purpose is the oil cooler serving?

how does an oil cooler help you in traffic? you need air passing thru the cooler to actually cool it. thats why you have a radiator fan. if i am sitting in stop and go traffic in 90 degree weather what purpose is the oil cooler serving?
it still allows for heat to dissipate to the air. of course it is more effective if you have airfflow past the cooler to begin with. even your radistor is transfering heat to the air without the help of the fan or air flow.

it still allows for heat to dissipate to the air. of course it is more effective if you have airfflow past the cooler to begin with. even your radistor is transfering heat to the air without the help of the fan or air flow.
disconnect your radiator fan and go sit in traffic for awhile. do you think the heat is going to dissapate into the air and keep you from overheating? your stock oil cooler is a fraction of the size of your radiator so less effective. but you are going to put an aftermarket cooler on thats even smaller than that. i dont see much of a benefit to that when it comes to sitting in traffic. the harley guys i ride with have the big aftermarket oil coolers and oil temperature gauges. i see there oil temps skyrocket while sitting in stop and go traffic all summer long. now when you are cruising at a decent clip and you have a cooler the oil temp will be lower than if you have no cooler. in traffic are you just routing some of your oil away from internal motor parts that could use that extra volume? maybe someone can answer that i am interested in knowing

disconnect your radiator fan and go sit in traffic for awhile. do you think the heat is going to dissapate into the air and keep you from overheating? your  stock oil cooler is a fraction of the size of your radiator so less effective. but you are going to put an aftermarket cooler on thats even smaller than that. i dont see much of a benefit to that when it comes to sitting in traffic. the harley guys i ride with have the big aftermarket oil coolers and oil temperature gauges. i see there oil temps skyrocket while sitting in stop and go traffic all summer long. now when you are cruising at a decent clip and you have a cooler the oil temp will be lower than if you have no cooler. in traffic are you just routing some of your oil away from internal motor parts that could use that extra volume? maybe someone can answer that i am interested in knowing
Brian your right to a degree,{no pun intended
laugh.gif
} but with a water oil cooler as in my set up the oil is constantly circulating through the radiator coolant. I've talked with Richard about this and He wonders about the coolant temp rising when not moving trying to cool the oil and engine. Barry on the other hand says the oil gets dangerously hot when not running an oil cooler. I guess you can't have a perfect world with both fluids staying cool.

Remove the radiator from your bike and you will understand how much heat it dissipates even with no air flow. The same goes for the oil cooler but on a smaller scale.

I had my radiator fan come disconnected last saturday night. The temprature outside was around 75 to 80. We went for a 5 or 6 mile ride, then went down to a downton hang out, hit two stop lights and my bike was over heating. The red light on the dash was lit, thank got for that, otherwise, i might have had a big problem on my hands. No radiator fan equals HOT, No oil cooler, the same! Just not as serious as not having the radiator fan!

Good Luck!
lurk.gif

Remove the radiator from your bike and you will understand how much heat it dissipates even with no air flow. The same goes for the oil cooler but on a smaller scale.
exactly. the added mass of the radiator and additional liquid spreads heat over a larger area. heat on any solid matter will transfer to air regardless of air flow.

when you turn off your motor, where do you think all that heat from the hot metal dissipates to? the air. radiators, intercoolers, oil coolers all use air to transfer heat to. even with zero airflow heat will transfer to air. and since air is never perfectly still, it will always cool. just not at a fast rate.

I guess I'll put in my .02 cents since I actually studied heat exchangers in my engineering classes in college just a short year ago. If you haven't really studied them, you have NO IDEA how much heat can be disipated through fins (heat exchanger). It really is incredible how well they work and how even a small surface area like the oil cooler can make a HUGE difference when it has airflow. I know I would NEVER go without it with a turbo because when you are moving (turbo spooling, high revs) the oil would get seriously HOT over a longer trip without that extra head dissipation. I guess its a personal choice, but take my word for it, it does make a big difference when it has airflow! If you do not run a cooler, I would definitely run synthetic oil and change it more frequently to avoid high temp breakdown...

you will fine with no oil coler in traffic or not. I but 69,000 miles on mine with out any problems. Now the heating of the bike is another story. Make sure if you get stuck in stop and go traffic that you can turn your fan on when you need it.

Back