Running hot?

reaper0995

Registered
i've been reading around a couple of forums and sites about busa's (just got one a few weeks ago for 5k!!) and a few of them say that the stock busa will sometimes overheat if in traffic on hot days and such, but no big deal. now i've been looking at a few of these turbo kits and many eliminate the oil cooler and in essence replace it with a turbo; a hot hot hot "oil heater." then a few will even have the filter behind the fairing taking in hot air surrounding the engine and header as apposed to the ram air.

so my question is, how can the 'potentially' stock overheating not lead to major overheating if the oil cooler is replaced with an 'oil heater' and the inlet air is hotter?

Don't have a turbo, so couldn't answer from personal experience but I would be willing to bet that folks aren't putting 5, 6 and 700 hp turbos on their bikes and not thinking about ways to keep the heat down. Hope that doesn't sound like a smart-a$$ answer, but . . .

i've been reading around a couple of forums and sites about busa's (just got one a few weeks ago for 5k!!) and a few of them say that the stock busa will sometimes overheat if in traffic on hot days and such, but no big deal. now i've been looking at a few of these turbo kits and many eliminate the oil cooler and in essence replace it with a turbo; a hot hot hot "oil heater." then a few will even have the filter behind the fairing taking in hot air surrounding the engine and header as apposed to the ram air.

so my question is, how can the 'potentially' stock overheating not lead to major overheating if the oil cooler is replaced with an 'oil heater' and the inlet air is hotter?
Actually very good questions. I chose the kit I have because it keeps the oil cooler and here in Fl. it gets smoking hot. Run a fan switch so you can manually turn the fan on and make sure it will still come on automatically. Run Engine Ice or other products and that will also help. As far as the filter issue, mine sticks out of the side and I agree, cooler air makes more power. Even in the mid of summer, I have no overheating problems, even in beach stop and go traffic

I have fitted an aftermarket oil cooler, the bike temp runs pretty much as normal, when stuck in traffic temp gets to half way, fan kicks in for a min, temp goes back to normal. No real issues.

As for the cold intake air, my filter sticks out the side, some people like it, some dont.

PODFILTER1.JPG

I run no oil cooler with the filter behind the fairing. MY thermostat is relocated on the opposite side of the motor where the hot water is coming out of the motor and not the radiator. Even in 100 degree heat unless I just got done riding hard and am just sitting in traffic my fan RARELY ever comes on.
smile.gif

Well....

1. My buddy tried his 550 HP Velocity kit with and without an oil cooler... He bought an aftermarket oil cooler and had it mounted to the swingarm where the NOS bottle generally goes... His reviews were that it didn't make much difference in engine temp. plus it was a leaker as well, so he ended up taking it back off... It just didn't make that much of a difference in regards to temp...

Many of the kits get rid of the oil cooler to make room for the turbo assembly... I wouldn't worry about the oil cooler, there are other things that are more important in your decision making process then the oil cooler... trust me on that... ;)

2. I have an intercooled 450 HP setup and the intercooler sits in front of the radiator which definetly caused the engine temp. to rise since circulation to the radiator isn't as good... I run very lean on anti-freeze, plus 2 fans, and she still runs about halfway... The biggest thing causing me heat is the intercooler... IF you are worried about heat, stay away from intercooler and go wet injection like my buddy did...

3. As far as the filter goes... Depends on what you like... My buddy's velocity kit has the filter sticking outside of the fairing and I am sure he is going to take in mad amounts of dirt at times, but on the other hand, those cone filters usually bring in an extra 10-15 HP on the dyno for some odd reason... Doesn't have to do with heat as much design I think... Usually when you dyno, you have the fairings off anyway, so heat shouldn't make that much of a difference between filters on the dyno... I kind of like my filter behind the fairing... I like the look.

I will tell ya one thing... When you go turbo, be prepared to dump some cash into the bike... Figure cost of trubo plus 50% in extras and everything else... Going turbo is not cheap in ANYWAY and if you go turbo, things are bound to go wrong and when they do, they are expensive...

Don't get me wrong, if its setup up perfectly and tuned right, you may not have any issues ever, but I see more problems then not especially when someone is doing the install that doesn't have the experience...

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126629148 -->

Some good advice from Cloud9.

Possibly the reason I havent experienced any cooling issues is that I'm only making 250hp tops and have an under tank intercooler.

i am running a velocity stage two street kit and has never had any problem with over heating...as a matter of fact the bike seems to run cooler now than it did before my guess is because of the lower compression 8:1 ....oh yes i still run the stock oil cooler....

i have a turbo on mine with no oil cooler and it gets hot here @new orleans and i have my fan on a manual switch and it has never overheated yet. i use mobil 1 oil and change it often though.

oil coolers main function isn't to keep the COOLANT system cool, its to keep the oil below the point of burning the oil (increased breakdown).

You shouldn't see much of a change in the coolant temp regardless what the oil temp is doing, unless its so hot that its melting stuff.

If you want to decide if you need an oil cooler, you need an oil temp gauge. If it ever gets over 260*, then you should probably heavily consider getting an oil cooler.

As for water temp, a turbo does not cause any more heat to the motor except under boost. There will not be any added temp while puttering around town, or when making short boost runs (as most street riders do). If you were going for a land speed record, then that might cause heat issues, but even then, heat transfer works pretty well at 250mph+
wow.gif

Of course, an intercooler blocking the radiator will definitely cause some issues. But that ain't the turbo doing it.

oil coolers main function isn't to keep the COOLANT system cool, its to keep the oil below the point of burning the oil (increased breakdown).

You shouldn't see much of a change in the coolant temp regardless what the oil temp is doing, unless its so hot that its melting stuff.

If you want to decide if you need an oil cooler, you need an oil temp gauge. If it ever gets over 260*, then you should probably heavily consider getting an oil cooler.  

As for water temp, a turbo does not cause any more heat to the motor except under boost.  There will not be any added temp while puttering around town, or when making short boost runs (as most street riders do).  If you were going for a land speed record, then that might cause heat issues, but even then, heat transfer works pretty well at 250mph+
wow.gif

Of course, an intercooler blocking the radiator will definitely cause some issues.  But that ain't the turbo doing it.
yea, I meant oil temp. in my original post in regards to the oil cooler.... My buddy had an oil temp. gauge...

The engien temp did not fluctuate, only the oil temp...
biggrin.gif

Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126913925 -->

excellent info and i'm building my turbo this winter, no oil cooler, wish me luck. shouldn't have any problems under 300 horse.
super.gif

Don't forget to remove the gallery restrictor from behind the oil filter if your removing the oil cooler.

Back