Head gasket Swap---Tigthen Quench---HP Gains???

8secBusa

Registered
We plan to swap out the facotry head gasket on my 09 Busa (all stock) to tighten the quench to a more "race" measurement.

I see that Cometic makes a .018 head gasket, Orient Express markets it as a swap to gain HP. I believe the stock gasket is either .027 or .030. So the change would result in a tighter quench by .009/.012.
We plan to measure the quench with the stock set-up and then attempt to optimize it to XX.XXX and measure the HP gains, if any.

Has anyone already done this swap without other changes? If my calculations are right, it would mean the facotry has it set at least in the .050+ range. From my car experence, optimizing this number has made a measured diferent in HP, more then the fractional HP would lead you to believe from the small compression change.

Will post before & after dyno #'s when complete. Made 183/104 with only a pipe and tune.

Last edited:
Just a reminder dont forget to check your valve clearance. How much of a gain in the compression ratio do you gain ? Seems like alot of work for what could be a minor gain in HP. I am curious myself as to the HP gains versus all the work involved in doing it.

Back