Cometic head gasket on a stock Busa..

J-tec

Registered
Hi, will like to find out from you guys which is the best thickness Cometic head gasket for a stock Busa. I see that there are 3 sizes ...

1) Cometic Gasket - Head Gasket - Suzuki - GSX 1300R Hayabusa 1999-2007/81mm Bore/1299cc/0.018"/MLS C.O.T. Model: GSKC8656-018

2) Cometic Gasket - Head Gasket - Suzuki - GSX 1300R Hayabusa 1999-2007/81mm Bore/1299cc/0.030"/MLS C.O.T. Model: GSKC8656

3) Cometic Gasket - Head Gasket - Suzuki - GSX 1300R Hayabusa 1999-2007/81mm Bore/1299cc/0.030"/MLS C.O.T./13mm Studs Model: GSKC8656-13mm

Mine Busa is a Gen I K6 model with no major mod. Stock. It's just that i'm changing my timing chain and i want to change the head gasket as well.

Any kind advise?

Choice #2 is what you need. Choice #1 is thinner, will bump compression up a point or so, #3 is for 1/2" head studs.

Choice #2 is what you need. Choice #1 is thinner, will bump compression up a point or so, #3 is for 1/2" head studs.

Just curious, why not bump up the compression a touch with the thinner gasket~?~

Reason I ask is, I know some people around here like to put thinner gaskets on stock motors feeling it's going to create a bit more power (one fella makes his bike run slower every time he tinkers with it, LOL)

Any reason why this is not the best idea~?~

I went that route, combined with race gas, ported heads and a sidewinder and went faster.
Did all of them at the same time, so can't be sure it was responsible for any improvement on its own, but don't think it hurt anything.
Enlighten me......

Enlighten me......

I'd love to, but I really don't know if it would make a stand alone improvement or not...but I would love to have some head work done soon (we'll see) and was thinking a race (thinner) gasket might be the ticket for replacement. Figured I'd see is there were any reason not to go with the thinner gasket~?~

I'd love to, but I really don't know if it would make a stand alone improvement or not...but I would love to have some head work done soon (we'll see) and was thinking a race (thinner) gasket might be the ticket for replacement. Figured I'd see is there were any reason not to go with the thinner gasket~?~
Only thing I would be concerned with is detonation if you run 87 octane. As explained to me the thinner gasket bumps static compression about a point, and should yield a little more power.
Head work is an ongoing argument about who does the best work, some shops are VERY proud of their work! Seems to me that the difference between a basic clean up and port job, and the super dooper serdi 5 million angle valve job head is very negligible, especially on a stock motor. I couldn't justify spending an extra 12 or 1300 bucks for a horsepower or 2....

In my opinion if one is going to a head job, you may as well either spend the money for the super dooper 5million angle head job or save your money and do none. But then again, I wouldn't do just a head job alone, would be best to do motor improvements while your in there! Just my half a pennies worth.
Posted via Mobile Device

If putting a thinner gasket on, you MAY run into clearance issues! I am no motor head, but seems logical.
Posted via Mobile Device

Basic clean up and port was less than 25% of the cost of the cheaper big name shops. I had the head off anyway (spun rod bearing) so figured why not.
Original plan was 1441, but budget would not support it. Had to do the best I could with what I had approved by the Minister of Finance......

I love her too! If it wasn't for her, I would have a really, really fast bike, but our kids would have no shoes and be starving, living with me and the bike in a cardboard box......:whistle:

Nah, don't do that...they would really learn to despise fast bikes~!~ :laugh:

I worked on the other end of the block. I still use a stock head gasket and got the desired deck height with the base gasket(s). I’ve got a gen II crank and had to change it all anyhow. I know it is pretty common to remove the base gasket on a stocker. I would check piston to valve, but I know most do not. I'd have to double check some notes but the stock base gasket was either .010 or .012. The same as the difference in thinner head gasket vs the stock.

I worked on the other end of the block. I still use a stock head gasket and got the desired deck height with the base gasket(s). I’ve got a gen II crank and had to change it all anyhow. I know it is pretty common to remove the base gasket on a stocker. I would check piston to valve, but I know most do not. I'd have to double check some notes but the stock base gasket was either .010 or .012. The same as the difference in thinner head gasket vs the stock.
Then it would be .012
Stock is .030, thinner .018....

Hi guys, I wonder if I could ask you a hopefully simple question or two:
I have a replacement K6 head that I was going to put on my stock K3 because a poor repair made to the original head before I got the bike is causing it to leak a small amount of oil. My question is this: Is there any advantage to going to one of the copper COMETIC head gaskets over the OEM one if I'm staying stock? Is it more/less durable? Finally, I see that there is a copper one on eBay that is 0.043". A size of 0.030" is listed at the top of this thread. Can somebody explain the significance? Can I run the 0.043" stock?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, I wonder if I could ask you a hopefully simple question or two:
I have a replacement K6 head that I was going to put on my stock K3 because a poor repair made to the original head before I got the bike is causing it to leak a small amount of oil. My question is this: Is there any advantage to going to one of the copper COMETIC head gaskets over the OEM one if I'm staying stock? Is it more/less durable? Finally, I see that there is a copper one on eBay that is 0.043". A size of 0.030" is listed at the top of this thread. Can somebody explain the significance? Can I run the 0.043" stock?

Thanks in advance!

you could run the 0.043 stock but would be lowering compression and power. If you're just going to swap out the gasket just go with stock thickness at 0.030.

Bringing this post back...

I have a Gen1 with ported head and kelford cams. Im thinking of removing the base gasket and running a 0.018 head gasket for higher compression. Everything else is stock.

Then running e85 (this is a race engine).

Any advice? Anyone done this?

Bringing this post back...

I have a Gen1 with ported head and kelford cams. Im thinking of removing the base gasket and running a 0.018 head gasket for higher compression. Everything else is stock.

Then running e85 (this is a race engine).

Any advice? Anyone done this?
It's been a while since this conversation, but I think we decided that the stock base gasket is .012, and stock head gasket is.030, so you'd be .024 closer if you went this route. I think....

Hi guys, need your help. I have a 2006 busa and do an engine rebuild. I am sleeving my block (bore is still stock - 81mm) and cut a 0.01 mm (0.0004 inch?) from top of the block. And now i need to choose a head gasket (thicker). So i have some questions. In USA tuning companies i found a gaskets with different thiknes - 0.018, 0.030. What thikness would you recomended? And i still dont understand, what thikness of stock head gasket? And another question, in shops the year is indicated like 99-2023, sometimes - 99-2016. It means that head gasket is similar at all of generations? I will be very grateful for the answer!

Back