Hayabusa History question

Scooter

Registered
I'm a new owner, so I don't know much about the evolution of the Busa.

The Busa was introduced in 1999, right? Was it a "new" version of another bike, os was it an all-new platform?

How has the bike changed over the years - other than colors?

New platform in 1999. In 2001 changed rear subframe from aluminum (sp) to steel. Also in 2001 changed to 186 top MPH. Other than the new "Passing" light control trigger nothing new. Hopefully in 2006 we will see a change but nothing yet. Hope it helps.

Oh, and welcome to the board.

Chris

Welcome to the board...
cool.gif

Not by very much. Here's what I know.I own a 2k blu/sil the fastest color.
Changes
1)camchain tensioner
2)speed restricted
3)Sub frame alum to steel
4)Passing light switch
5)Colors
6)Speedometer/instrumentcluster
These I'm not sure of :Stock tires,hump looks smaller and seat

For 2005: Headlight switches off during startup to reduce load on battery
,turn signal lens color changed to white for improved appearance.
New graphics, really quite different from the other years and they stopped putting the entire "suzuki" on the tank.

And even though alot of guys wont like it , its only common sence that small changes have been made here and there
over the years...there are just so many minor things that could go wrong with a new bike and since Suzuki has been
doing this bike for 6 years its likely that they have made lots of little changes that were not released to the public.

Could be things like wiring make up , routing of wiring , minor engine changes such as harder parts or just buying the same
part from different vendors, the list could go on and on really.

But I am sure you are wondering more about the major changes , and as everyone else said , pretty much none. Id be happy with any year or color of Busa.
smile.gif

Starter motor/support...
Fuel pump location, injectors....
ECU 16-32 bit......
Forks.........
Clutch assy......
Just to name a few!

The main thing I see that has changed about the 'Busa is it's reputation. As mentioned above, the 'Busa has seen minor changes here and there over its 6 years of existence which, to me, should be a concern.

The '04 750 gixxer produces as much HP as the '02 R1 meaning Suzuki is improving its smaller bikes but not the 'Busa. Just as the 750 has improved so has the liter bikes. I'm not sure if its because they are concetrating on their better selling bikes or if its because they feel "if it ain't broke don't fix it". There was a chart posted here not long ago showing the 1000 Gixxer having 3 HP more than the 'Busa. To me, that's unacceptable.

I know many of you feel HP isn't an issue because we still dominate in torque, but many people's perception on vehicles (not just on bikes) is based on HP alone. If someone who knows nothing about bikes hears that we have the king of the motorcycle jungle, they may be impressed. But when that same person picks up a motorcycle magazine and sees the 1000s have just as much HP as our 1300, the respect is lost.

Now before anyone here begins to flame me to ashes, understand. This is what I'm hearing from non-busa riders.
-1000s are just as fast.
-'Busa are outdated, just look at their cockpit.
-Hayabusas need to go on a diet
and the list goes on and on. As I said, these are comments from non-busa riders, those are not my opinions.

I love my 'Busa and would never consider owning another bike after riding this machine, but there was a time in which the Suzuki Hayabusa was the undisputed king of bikes. Now that everyone has stepped up majorly since '99 and the 'Busa has stayed pretty much the same, that's no longer the case in the eyes of other riders.

PS
To anyone out there who owns anything besides a Hayabusa and is getting big-headed after reading that, they say ignorance is bliss. Don't let your ignorance lead you to get spanked by a 'Busa. Its not a pretty thing.

Great info! I knew I would learn something new today!

Welcome Scooter from another Newbie!
smile.gif

Not by very much. Here's what I know.I own a 2k blu/sil the fastest color.
Changes
1)camchain tensioner
2)speed restricted
3)Sub frame alum to steel
4)Passing light switch
5)Colors
6)Speedometer/instrumentcluster
These I'm not sure of :Stock tires,hump looks smaller and seat
I think they added hazard lights too?

I know many of you feel HP isn't an issue because we still dominate in torque, but many people's perception on vehicles (not just on bikes) is based on HP alone. If someone who knows nothing about bikes hears that we have the king of the motorcycle jungle, they may be impressed. But when that same person picks up a motorcycle magazine and sees the 1000s have just as much HP as our 1300, the respect is lost.

Now before anyone here begins to flame me to ashes, understand. This is what I'm hearing from non-busa riders.
-1000s are just as fast.
-'Busa are outdated, just look at their cockpit.
-Hayabusas need to go on a diet
and the list goes on and on. As I said, these are comments from non-busa riders, those are not my opinions.

I love my 'Busa and would never consider owning another bike after riding this machine, but there was a time in which the Suzuki Hayabusa was the undisputed king of bikes. Now that everyone has stepped up majorly since '99 and the 'Busa has stayed pretty much the same, that's no longer the case in the eyes of other riders.
In my opinion, if you're that concerned about what other riders think of the Hayabusa, you bought it for a very different reason than I did. I bought mine because it's the bike I wanted, for me.

-Chris

Back