Hayabusa HID projector

19Mark90

Registered
Hello,

As you can see this is my first post. I would like to get straight to the point since this question is currently for a head light project for a car, specifically the Toyota MR2 MKII. I will soon get a hayabusa in the future, but it rains too much where I live. Do you guys know of a store that sells an HID projector? Asking this question since I want to retrofit one into a Hella 550 fog light housing for a sleepy eyes look for the car. I have found this one. But I don't like the kelvin color. I'd like to buy a projector with or without the angel eyes, with a possible option of being hi/lo beam. The Kelvin color I am looking for is between 4300k-6000k.

Any help is appreciated,
Mark

Sharing this with my Busa family on a couple forums;

Well the HID projector setup finally came in last week. I took a couple hours today and did the install.

Finished product looks good and I like the setup. Install did take some effort and I will detail the hurdles. Of course will post a test of lighting output once I finish the wiring.

I ended up ordering an Ebay setup for two bulbs (kit) as price was more competitive then the dedicated bike kits, looks like identical product.

Review: HID projector, "drop-in" installation for replacement low beam bulb. Basically is a universal (H7) projector that has a small base which fits into the stock low beam hold. It's long enough to bring the projector outward and small enough to clear the lens.

Quality: Decent quality but haven't tried the power on yet. Came with wiring harness, ballasts (large size that'll I'll be swapping for slim DDM version) some silicone glue and misc. nuts and bolts.

The chrome on the projector is good and the build quality seems to be fine for a Chinese made product.

I ordered the 5000k HID bulb with White angel eye setup.

Stuff you get with the kit;

Light1.jpg

Step 1: Take apart your busa front fairing and remove headlight. If you can't do this with info from this site you may want to reconsider this mod as it gets more technical from here.

Light5.jpg

Step 2: Remove all rubber bushings as headlight will go into oven.

Step 3: Put headlight into oven, I used preheat 250 degrees for ~5 minutes.

Step 4: Gently pry with butter knife (glue is sticky so don't use a good knife) the lens from the base housing. I used a screwdriver to wedge the latch parts slight open and then used the knife to seperate.

light6.jpg

Step 5: Handle the lens carefully as you want to keep it clean.

Step 6: As per projector instructions, take apart retainer ring, locking washer and screw mechanism.

Step 7: Slide projector into hold and put back retainer ring, locking washer and screw mech. As per marking, orientate projector with TOP sticker pointing up.

Step 8: Tighten screw mechanism and use pliers to tight further. Keep checking front for straight alignment before tightening.

Step 9: I routed the angel eye wiring around te reflector housing and back out the bottom OEM projector hole (Hi beam hole in back).

light8.jpg

light9.jpg

OOPS, CUSTOM MOD NEEDED:

When I test fit the lens back on the housing the reflector ring touched the projector bulb. It wouldn't seal correctly. Out came the dremel.

Step 10: Lightly grind down a small groove on the lens silver reflector ring (the ring that normally covers around the stock high beam).

Picture:

light11.jpg

light10.jpg

Keep test fitting and grind slowly. I did it well enough that you can't notice the grind from the outside when headlight is put back together.

Step 11: Put lens and headlight setup back into oven for 5 minutes to soften glue.

At this point I used the grey goop that came with the projector housing. I do not suggest you use this as it's not the same as the OEM glue, it's simply grey silicone. Does the job fine but takes away the tackyness of the factory seal.

Step 12: Silicone outside of lens / headlight housing to prevent any leaks.

Step 13: Let dry.

Step 14: Reassemble headlight into front fairing.

All done for now. Next is to wire HID setup and provide you with some tests of light output. For now just enjoy the pics and check out my cool pearl Orange paint job on the nose :) .

light15.jpg

light14.jpg

light16.jpg

Total cost was about $135 for 2 x bulb setup, Busa will use just one and other will be sold to buddy.

Last edited:
Light Output:

I ended up having to take the pics with my iPhone lousy camera. Sorry for the quality but you still get the jist of things.

My HID kit, DDM 35W ballast with Projector lens. 5000K bulb. Comparison to buddy's DDM 35W ballast stock HID bulb, 6000K bulb.

My projector bike is on right (orange / black) with DDM HID on left. -->

hidv2.jpg

hidv6.jpg

Behind the dash view, my bike now on left and stock DDM HID on right. -->

hidv7.jpg

His HID off and mine ON -->

hidv8.jpg

My HID projector off and his ON -->

hidv9.jpg

Behind the cluster, his DDM HID view -->

hidv10.jpg

Behind the cluster, my projector HID view -->

hidv11.jpg

Reference image sagainst object, yes I know I adjusted my beam too low, will bring it up -->

hidv12.jpg

Reference against object, stock DDM HID -->

hidv13.jpg

Output looks nice with minimal glare, where did you get this kit?????????

Similar setup to Woodrrow's post but I ordered through ebay;

HID XENON LEN projector KIT Angel Eye E46 M3 TSX H4 D2S: eBay Motors (item 200404377261 end time Jun-08-10 00:25:40 PDT)

If you're planning for an ebay kit then I suggest order the set without ballasts and then buy slim / digital ballasts from DDM (I did and easier to hide).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROJ...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:
Similar setup to Woodrrow's post but I ordered through ebay;

HID XENON LEN projector KIT Angel Eye E46 M3 TSX H4 D2S: eBay Motors (item 200404377261 end time Jun-08-10 00:25:40 PDT)

If you're planning for an ebay kit then I suggest order the set without ballasts and then buy slim / digital ballasts from DDM (I did and easier to hide).

PROJECTOR HID XENON LEN KIT Angel Eye E46 M3 TSX H4 D2S: eBay Motors (item 200404368832 end time Jun-07-10 23:13:05 PDT)
Mint thanks buddy, I already have hid's installed right now I just need to install that projector. That would be a winter project.

HID lighting in a stock halogen reflector scatters too much. I don't think most people care what oncoming traffic have to look at. Projectors are the way to go.

Back