Hayabusa fails DMV inspection

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
So I call the Harley dealer, ask them if they will do DMV test on a non Harley. Guy is very friendly, says bring it in.

Get there, his boss sees me, does not look happy.

They fail the bike, says it needs new tires, see pic below.

Me @&&$ I don’t have lot of time on my hands. And, I think the tires are still good.

Do a wheel spin out of their yard, and off to the nearest big tire company, where the only work in cars, but they do DMV on bikes.

All the guys are all over the Busa and it passes.

Go figure.

How bad you think the tires are?

C342DA6D-9330-4590-A8FE-E81EBA3961CA.jpeg

0E0445F6-2C88-4A4D-9B06-7E6CD2B3752A.jpeg

Top picture, bottom left, it is through the wear bar, and technically it fails.
I go to car shops for bike state inspection stickers, as most have no idea about bikes, so if the lights and horn work, they pass.
The HD dealer was correct this time, and since when do you hear me defend them?
lmao
It's real close but I don't think it's down to the bars yet...

So this is funny. I was sitting in reception while they were doing the Busa at the tire place when I posted the picture starting the thread.

After that I went home and took the Husqvarna for its DMV inspection to the same tire place. Have not ridden it for months, so the battery was dead and I jumped it in the hope that it would charge on the way.

On the Husky, nothing works if the motor is not running, no lights, no brake lights, no indicators, no horn etc. Sat in reception and they called me, said all is good passed. Went back to the bike and the battery was as dead as a doornail. So they could only have checked the tires, nothing else, but it passed. One of the mechanics came and jumped the battery, so I was good to go and rode it home.

My eyes must be whacked, it's close but still above the wear bars from what I see..
I looked at the bike again, think you were right, it is real close, but there is still a bit left.
They failed the front also, which has the same mileage as the rear and it is not even close.

That tire only has around 2,500 miles on it, think I can probably put another 500 on it.

damn

what are u doing in a HD-shop with ur busa?

or do you meet a heart-doc if your estomac makes issues?

hell / the heck

even here in germany all "proving" engineers , who do the "dmv" here , know what that bars in the gaps say - the tire is still in good (legal) shape .

what i would suppose is that they wanted to put an expensive new rear tire on your eye (wanted to rip you off)

I looked at the bike again, think you were right, it is real close, but there is still a bit left.
They failed the front also, which has the same mileage as the rear and it is not even close.

That tire only has around 2,500 miles on it, think I can probably put another 500 on it.
another 500 HEHEHEHE I could burn it up quicker.............CHALLENGE ACCEPTED !! HEHEHE

They are 100% Harley, they do not work on anything else. They are not even willing to put new tyres if I take them the wheels.
Looks like they just lost a potential customer. Every time I ride my Sportster to HD they always say when are you going BT and I always say when one of them can pass me in the twisties. Next time I'm going to say I'd rather ride a Yellow Honda Fury LOL.

The place I go to will look the bike over and tell you it will or won't pass before they inspect it. Not 100% but can save you from riding around with a rejection. I always tell them whatever they find I will go to another shop to get it fixed. Works!
I got my B King inspected last week and the inspector passed it but kept looking at my Nitrous bottle mount that's bolted inside the swing arm. The bottle was removed but he just stared at it ????.

Back