Registering out of state Busa in Cali, what does the DMV inspection consist of?

JimmyTNT

Registered
After living here for almost 2 years and riding derty with illinois plates, ive finally decided to register it here in cali. Ive heard mixxed things as to what the DMV checks for, ive also heard they dont even need to see the bike? Basically i want this to go as smooth as possible and with only ONE trip to the ****hole DMV. I HATE THE DMV!
Soo heres my list based of my guesses and friend's guesses.
-Liscense
-Insurence
-Title
-Frame VIN
-Engine VIN
-Odometer (in which mine reads about 12k more than what my bike has because i bought a 220mph cluster and sold my original 180mph cluster)
-Headlights/tails/brakes/signals (i probably need to make one for the rear since i have the LED intergrated taillight and unsmoke my OEM fronts)
-Working front/rear brake (i need to install my rear brake again)
-Stock exhaust? (i have a loud ass yoshi custom shorty)

Did i miss anything? thanks
-jimmy

Last edited:
I think you got everything covered. Here is a link to the CA DMV,

[url=http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm#feesdue]California DMV HTVR9 - How To Register A Out-of-State Vehicle (Nonresident Vehicle)[/URL]

When I registered my vehicles in CA they just checked the VIN, registration and mileage then submitted the documentation. New plate, new pink slip and registration. I was a AAA member so I used their services since going directly to the DMV can be a pain in the azz. Make sure you tell them that you just brought the bike into the state otherwise they will hit you with penalties.

Last edited:
No Big deal with the numbers you have on the clock but I wouldnt say anything about that not being the correct speedo, just say it has what it has.

Where are you in Nor Cal?

No Big deal with the numbers you have on the clock but I wouldnt say anything about that not being the correct speedo, just say it has what it has.

Where are you in Nor Cal?

Agreed, but also take care to watch about the 2 years, I think you have a time limit in which to get it reg once you have residency.
Look carefully at the DMV site and even call them and ask questions. That's how I got out of being stuck with a bike from TN.
Good luck, and ride safe.
Bubba

So is it mandatory you have to register it? Have you been getting harassed because of out of state plates?

Cali is a state where laws start, and pile up in masses!

It's not like Alabamy, where you can duct tape the plate and write your own numbers in with a sharpie! :laugh:

Okay here I goOOO!!!
As soon as BOB sees this, I will be in double trouble! :laugh:

:corner: :hide:

Last edited:
I've registered two out of state Busas in Cali without problems. Even when things didn't meet requirements during inspection the blank check in my hand appeared to be their primary focus.

Im in NY, but....:laugh:

dolph-stallone-rocky2.jpg

They didnt check my exhaust. they did the normal lights and crap + the engine VIN + Frame VIN

I've registered two out of state Busas in Cali without problems. Even when things didn't meet requirements during inspection the blank check in my hand appeared to be their primary focus.

Could you go through a quick rundown? One thing i missed, was to check the horn. In which today i finally put mine back on, ha.

yea i pay $20 to register mine in HI, and looks like it will be 270 for cali when I move there next year....thanks to whomever posted the link... :bowdown:

Back