Stealership service

The problem with mechanics now days is 1 they are a little green. The old timers refuse to deal with the millenial pukes. All cars are so computerized now that even some of the experienced mechanics are losing basic troubleshooting skills. Lastly and most important, they all listen to some fukin book for whats wrong and how to fix. Gone are the days of a good machanic who made a good wage and didnt charge the customer for crap they didnt do. example...books calls for 5 hours of labor...took 2... should be illegal to charge the 5.

example...books calls for 5 hours of labor...took 2... should be illegal to charge the 5.
I'll agree with a lot of the points you made however as a mechanic I know that a lot of times book says five and it make take more or less depending on who is doing it, how many times they've done it, etc. Now if you disagree with being charged 5hrs that the book said when a tech had done the job 100 times and was able to get out done in 2hrs would you be ok with paying 10hrs for the same job because a different tech worked on it that had never done the job before and didn't have any shortcuts and was having to read the manual as he went?

I prefer to pay for work done. Not work assumed. It would be on me to find a certified experienced mechanic who does the job proficiently.

I prefer to pay for work done. Not work assumed. It would be on me to find a certified experienced mechanic who does the job proficiently.
So you would be ok paying for 10 hours labor if it took them that long even tho the book says it should only take half that? Im just trying to show that the book time can screw a mechanic as real quick. And that's why there is set times for jobs, most mechanics either get paid flat rate or have some type of "bonus" program that makes the pay equal out and just because in able to get a 5 hour job done in 2 hours doesn't mean I didn't do all the same steps it just means I know what I'm doing and that I make my money but getting each job done as quickly and efficiently as possible and while not the case with all techs I do make sure it is done in a high quality manner as well.

I'll agree with a lot of the points you made however as a mechanic I know that a lot of times book says five and it make take more or less depending on who is doing it, how many times they've done it, etc. Now if you disagree with being charged 5hrs that the book said when a tech had done the job 100 times and was able to get out done in 2hrs would you be ok with paying 10hrs for the same job because a different tech worked on it that had never done the job before and didn't have any shortcuts and was having to read the manual as he went?
Flat rate hours are fair and what everyone should be using, nothing else. Some times a problem pops up and the job takes a lot longer. Sometimes more than one person is working the job and it goes fast. I think if I remember way back, Mercedes 4 cylinder the time to remove and replace an engine was 4 hours. That excludes work done on the motor. That is more than fair. They do not do formal apprenticeships here in the US as we did overseas, but over there a top tech, with an apprentice in training and a helper on general servicing would be booking around 28 hours in a 8 hour day. In a well organized shop they would be working together on at least 4 vehicles at one time.

He never came back bro.:DThe igniter turned out to be the exact same part # as the one in our gas dryer and still readily available.You still heading over to AZ?When you do I'll hook you up with Chris Phipps in Phoenix(built my turbo bike),me and Red have known him forever and a good dude.

Dies this chris guy work at a shop? I know most of the bad ass shops and their owners out here in AZ

The problem with mechanics now days is 1 they are a little green. The old timers refuse to deal with the millenial pukes. All cars are so computerized now that even some of the experienced mechanics are losing basic troubleshooting skills. Lastly and most important, they all listen to some fukin book for whats wrong and how to fix. Gone are the days of a good machanic who made a good wage and didnt charge the customer for crap they didnt do. example...books calls for 5 hours of labor...took 2... should be illegal to charge the 5.
Most parts today are designed to be replaced quickly. Aviation industry is doing the same. Every time I received and old piece of equipment at the shop I worked at, we did what we called “repair down to component level”. All this mean is that I was troubleshooting, until I found the bad part (resistor, capacitor, whatever) on the circuit board/s and replaced that part. On the newer generation stuff, it was just a matter of plugging it to a giant tester and letting it run and then the tester would tell you which circuit card to replace, because they are all built in circuits that techs are not allowed to repair, only replace.

A competent mechanic earns his money by being able to get a job done in less than book time. The way you're suggesting it should work would punish the good mechanics and reward incompetentcy. The longer it took the mechanic, the more money they'd make. Paying book time encourages a mechanic to be good at what they do by increasing the amount of compensation. Keep in mind that come-backs (incorrectly performed repairs) are not compensated, so there is incentive to be both efficient and productive.

A competent mechanic earns his money by being able to get a job done in less than book time. The way you're suggesting it should work would punish the good mechanics and reward incompetentcy. The longer it took the mechanic, the more money they'd make. Paying book time encourages a mechanic to be good at what they do by increasing the amount of compensation. Keep in mind that come-backs (incorrectly performed repairs) are not compensated, so there is incentive to be both efficient and productive.
I agree. I was a mechanic from 78-94. It was common to flag up to 15-20 hours in a 9 hour day if you were good. The more you did the same job the faster you got at it. I used to install AC's in new Suzuki Samurai's and Jeep wranglers and beat the time by 4 hours. Things like 30k services were big money makers. It did motivate you to do it right because comebacks suck.

You also have to be in good with the service manager and service writer to get some of the good work. No one wanted a bunch of warranty work like new guys got stuck with in the beginning. The manufacture wanted to pay as little as possible.

I also will say that being a mechanic and seeing some of the shoddy work of others I hate to have anyone work on my vehicles. More than one I saw a mechanic wipe off an oil filter and not change it. I saw tests drive that bent axle's and worse.

Dies this chris guy work at a shop? I know most of the bad ass shops and their owners out here in AZ

Nope,he had a shop at his house when he lived over here in Beaumont years ago when he did my bike back in '08(RCC Stage 1,McIntosh Alumipro arm,extended tail,CO2 shifter,rebuilt trans. because of 2nd gear issue,etc.,etc.,etc....and he was only 18 at the time),and then again over in Phoenix as Gunslinger Motorsports for awhile.Sharp as a tack when it comes to anything Busa and still has an all motor 1507 he's gonna start campaigning again this year.

...just saw where Red had posted above,I didn't even know he had a Facebook page or if it's even current(all of those pics look to be 6 or 7 years old :laugh:).

Found an old pic of him running his street bike at Fontana years ago,kid's a good racer.

Last edited:
When my rear bearings disintegrated on the way to the Dragon a few years ago, I went to my mechanic and torn him a new one. We almost got into a fight over it right there in the shop. Turns out the problem was I was tightening the chain too tight. I went back to the shop and apologized to him right there in the shop and everyone had a good laugh about it. Also gave him a gift certificate for an Outback steak dinner. That built a really strong relationship and a lot of trust both ways.

With my truck the dealer is amazing. They act like it's their truck and they are just letting me drive it. It has an 8 year warranty though and a lifetime powertrain warranty. Pretty crazy service, like nothing I have experienced before.

Back