Have you ever experienced a significant head shake

happens to me when behind certain large vehicles (semis & busses) on the freeway.
there are particular positions that the busa does not appreciate the turbulence in.
mad.gif

I got a pretty good shake once. I had a sick wheelie going on. Popped it up in first around 5-6,000 rpms, brought it up to like 11 o'clock, shifted to 2nd, kept going almost until redline, shifted to 3rd (by this time doing well over 100mph), and I started feeling the crosswinds pushing me out of my lane. I threw all my body weight to the opposite side, but it was a no go, and I was less than a foot away from the grass... So I cut down the throttle, and tapped the rear brake.... well, when I came down I had the front wheel aimed to the left, so as soon as it touched the pavement I got a naaasssty shake. What made it worse was that I was REALLY close to the grass, and I knew that if I touched the grass, I was gone...... Anyways, I saved it, pulled the seat out of my a$$, grinned from ear to ear, and rode home
smile.gif

but under normal circumstances, I've never lost control of the bike..... VERY VERY stable in my opinion... Suzuki did a kick-ass job with this bike
cool.gif

Hey IG, did you not get any headshake at all, you just went straight into a full blown slapper?  Besides relaxing the other thing you need to do is get on the throttle to get the weight off the front.
Yeah that was it. Was in 4th, and on the gas. No headshake - right into the tankslapper - at least what I remember.

The only thing that could save me would be a harder steering damper. A bit more damping force goes a long way.

Let's say because of momentary loss of traction, my front got crooket by let's say 6 deg to the left. The force pushes it to the right, and it goes all the way to 7 deg to the right, then 10 deg to the left, then 15 deg to the right, then 25 to the left, etc, until you crash.

With more damping it would start let's say with the same 6 deg, but then go to 5, then to 3, then to 1, and stop.

You see what I mean? It's like a mechanical or electrical system with a feedback loop. A little more resistance (damping), and oscilations subside. A little less, and oscillations increase to the limit.

Another problem is, that in order to keep the bike turning (at least with BT56 stockers), you have to apply light steering input on the handlebars going through the turn (and if anyone doubts that, put a throttle lock on in the turn, and let go of the handlebars - the bike will start going wide). So, if you lose traction even for a moment, that pressure from steering input will inadvertly move the front to the side.

The way I see it, in such scenario, the steering damper is the only hope.
__                                      
Igor
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>

ONLY ONCE.
Shook her head after an involuntary flight.
smile.gif

What was a minor hump in the road at 80 turned into a nice ramp at about 160. Both tires off the ground for about 100 feet or so, came down with bars a tiny bit crooked, front end shook violently a few times, got on the throttle, pissed myself, and the Busa straightened up no worries. Pretty sure the stock damper did it's job.

I've never had any head shake either. It's always surprised me how stable the busa is, especially once you get the speed up.

Back