Has anyone on here ever???

fishhook

Registered
Has anyone ever had a clutch spring retainer bolt back out on their bike???? My 08 has 12500 miles on her and went to crank her up about 3 weeks ago and heard a terrible noise coming from the clutch side of the motor. Tore her down and the bolt on one of the springs had backed out just enough to scrape the case. I took all the bolts out and lock tighted them back in. The local dealer said he had only ever had one come back for that and it was a M109 a couple years ago.

I got very lucky to catch it just in the nick of time. It could have busted the case or worse tore the clutch up. Got her back up and running now!:bowdown:

Yes, there has been several threads on here about it. And yes, you're lucky as far as damage. :thumbsup:

Loctite, and proper torque should suffice...someone forgot to torque all six.....usually hack-wrenches run one in to set things then torque the other five.... :whistle:

Never had the clutch spring retainer, but did have the slave cyclender plate bolts back out on my gen1

I've never heard of this happening before.. :dunno:

Thanks for the heads up.. ;)

Wow, that could have been disastrous, glad you caught it brother.

I did a cleanup on a friend's here in Vegas, but he broke a piece off of his basket also......the whole inside was covered with little aluminum shavings, and his clutch cover had bolt bosses sheared off......NASTY !!!!

That one does sound nasty! Good luck with it. I do have some extra clutch spring retainer bolts if anyone needs any.

I did a cleanup on a friend's here in Vegas, but he broke a piece off of his basket also......the whole inside was covered with little aluminum shavings, and his clutch cover had bolt bosses sheared off......NASTY !!!!

Back