Need some help... Busa has an OIL LEAK

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Ok, the other day I replaced both stator cover and clutch cover gaskets, thought they were leaking all a sudden. Well, went for a ride today, got on her nice and hard (actually scraped my toe sliders up pretty good with toes in....too low to be playing like that). Got to our first stop and seen some oil again, WTF? Get home, pull the side fairings and see what appears to be both covers leaking, is actually coming from the top of the casing, around the breather part. At least that all I can see. Is this a common thing, an easy thing to seal, or what? Is there something else I should be looking for? I'm going to spray her off with some degreasing cleaner, hose her down and then re-inspect when I get back from taking the wife shopping. I hope this is all it is, pull 4 bolts, clean, replace gasket/RTV and reinstall. Any help and suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Charlie

Not really common but should be an easy fix... Just get a new gasket for this assy. and remove the four bolts holding the breather on. Be sure and clean/prep the surface really well. MAKE darn sure there aren't any cracks or holes in or around the mating surface.

Hopefully the leak isn't a result of stud failure! Meaning that one or all of the four bolts may have pulled free damaging the threaded portion of crankcase..

In your first pic looks like the little wire clamp is too high and not sealing the hose to its connection!
Just remove that cheap clamp and get a small screw type clamp.

Thanks guys. Just washed her down with some Orange Cleaner then rinsed her off, started and let her run a while. Nothing. So when I get home I'll throw the seat back on and rip down the road see if it leaks then, after tightening the hose clamp though (good eye on that one).

I am thinking it may be wheelie related leakage. I do a lot of wheelies when I mess around with my buddies, and thinking maybe the hose clamp misposition combined with the wheelie putting oil in the back half of the engine and possibly filling up the vent cover, it may be forcing it out there after coming back down from a wheelie? Solution, stop wheelies....not sure I can do that ?

(05BusaLe @ Feb. 11 2007,12:07) In your first pic looks like the little wire clamp is too high and not sealing the hose to its connection!
Just remove that cheap clamp and get a small screw type clamp.
Oh yeah, sorry, I pulled the clamp off to check the hose to see if it was full of oil or what and forgot to slide it back down, but still good suggestion with the hose clamp to replace the wire loop.

lurk.gif
beerchug.gif

Ok, the wiring connector at the top of the clutch cover seems to be the culprit. I got home, no signs of leak. Went out for a "spirited" run down the test road. Come home, and see oil at the top by the wiring. The rubber plug is seated correctly, but my dumbass forgot to put some sealant on that area. Now, if I take this gasket off, clean it all down, and use sealant, will the gasket seal or no? Seemed to have held fine before and dealer doesn't have another one in stock. Oh well, I'll pull it, clean and dry it, seal it and cross my fingers.

Appreciate the input.

I have reused the clutch cover gasket numerous times with out a problem. Just be careful when removing the cover so you don't damage the gasket.

Especially if you have a trackday coming up, buy the gasket in case you need it. You can always take it back if you don't need it. Murphy's law says that if you don't you'll mess up the gasket and need a new one. Then no one will have one in stock and you screwed.
beerchug.gif

Gasket came off w/o incident, intact and looks good. Wiped everything down and upon further inspection, it looks as if the oil was actually coming up the wiring inside the rubber plug?
rock.gif
Weird. Not sure though since there was oil all up in there. So I cleaned as well as I could, then filled the rubber boot/grommet with silicone, laid a bead on the gasket to engine, and on the cover to gasket side, cinched it all down to torque spec and will actually wait the full 24hr cure time this go round.

I found a small stator cover leak on mine today. Probably need a new gasket.

(heavybusa @ Feb. 11 2007,19:16) I found a small stator cover leak on mine today. Probably need a new gasket.
I'd send ya mine if I hadn't used it thinking the damn thing was leaking! I bet all along it was the fricken wiring plug from the clutch side....a couple gaskets later and headaches, hopefully its fixed.

chasing an oil leak is the second worst head ache, next to an electrical problem
guns.gif

Back