Has anyone here sued a bad painter?

I would chalk it up to lesson learned. Unless you pay big bucks for the work the quality will suffer.

As far as the screens I could see the counter argument of, "I was paid to paint the fairing, not for dissasembly and prep".

As far as orange peel.. hell brand new I can see orange peel on a bike... same with cars. You have to pay alot more if you want perfection.

Sorry I don't mean to sound down on you.

Not true you can get quailty work for a resonable price..

you are right about peel. there aint a paint job out there from the factory that does not have peel in it

dang sorry man, you know i dont know if its even worth considering taking it to court, its just more time wasted for that amount i think i would just chalk it up as a lesson learned, heck you probably could do a better job yourself if you have some paint tools or can borrow some, at least you will get the satisfaction you are looking for...good luck...

Well, I asked for the members thoughst and I got them. I'm very suprised of haw many here have a very low expectation of what should be expected from an established (one that has been in business in the same location for many years) body shop. I have read a lot of "you paid for what you got & chalk it up to a lesson learned."

Sorry to thoese type of fellows, but just laying down and letting a guy bone me is not my way. I have seen other body shop paint jobs that were very close too, if not perfect, in my time. Too bad none of the good work I have seen was done where I live now.

Sure a factory paint job may have a few minor blems if you closely inspect a full fairing bike from front fender to rear (although I have never seen a single paint blem any new bike that I have purchased) but this is way beyond a few minor belms here or there.

Upon the first attempt the Color Right paint was "a perfect match." There was no problem with the paint, only the painter. If this was too big of a job for him he should of either stated that there will be some blems or turned down the job. My expectations were made very clear before he accepted the work. Besides, I would have accepted a few minor flaws (I would realy like to ride the bike again soon) but what ge gave me was total crap. Did I forget to mention that this is a "single color paint job on two fairings," Not the whole bike done in a multi-color ultra candy extra pearl super flake fantasy paint job.

Too all that plan to have a part or even a whole bike painted soon, Dont Drink The Low Standard Kool Aid! If the painter says he can do a specified level of quality, hold him to it! If the paint job doesn't at least come close to as advertised, just don't put your tail between your legs and wish you paid more thinking, I got what I paid for. Nor should you let the crap painter off the hook by turning the other cheek and calling it a lesson learned. What lesson is learned anyway, how to get punked and not fight back?

Don't believe anyone who says "A competant painter can't do a flalwless job, nor very close to it." That kind of thought is a big slap in the face of very painter worth his salt. I'm not talking about the specialty high dollor guys, Just regular professionals that have pride in their work! This isn't majic, it takes skill, not voodoo!

BTW, please let us all know where I can find an OEM nose or side fairing with decal for $350? I replaced a side fairing over a year ago and it cost $450 with decal. I did a lot of shopping first, I thought that was a good deal.

You are right the guy messed up. I have used color rite paint several times and never had trouble with a color match and if he did then he should have made adjustments in the flow, travle speed, distants or even reduced the paint more or less to do an effective blend.

He should not have had to paint the whole panel. I did not see it but from what you said he should have been able to spot it in with colr and then cleared the whole panel.

I recently repaired a white limited edition honda 600 and i used maybe half a pint to spot in rash on the left side and repairs made to the upper.

I paint in a home made booth and get little to no trash in my paint work. It all about the prep, and the time spent makng sure things are right before you start spraying. I had to make some peices for the 600 that had broken off and i did not charge the guy what you got charge and the guy was very pleased with the result

2010-06-15_20.41.17.jpg

2010-06-15_20.41.53.jpg

2010-06-19_20.22.20.jpg

Not to add a monkeywrench into to it but FWIW Colorite colors are not always right. I called about their 2003 40th Anniv Orange and even they said there's a couple diff versions of that.

Best bet, when in budget is to just shoot the whole bike, or buy OEM (prepainted) fairings if you want stock look.

Good luck with your case.

the 2003 orange is a Factory variant color there are supposed to be different unlike the standared busa colors.

You can even match the 2003 orange you just have to dust it in until to get the right color

"lesson learned" comment from my particular post was if you didn't have a receipt, with a receipt I think you got a case. And take the receipt for the paint you paid for, try to get that money back as well for him wasting it by doing it wrong let the judge decide.

talk to "goldenchild". hes a site sponsor and can get oem parts used or new usually.

Thank's for the interest in my paint issue guy's. I do have all my receipts and I have a very flexable work schedule so small claims court is no big issue for me. If I worked a regular 9-5 m-f job a court case might not be worth the trouble. What pissed me off is that all I asked for is a simple 1-color paint job on two fairings that I had in hand, not the whole bike.

I would have delt with a few small belms but not the crap the guy tried to hand off to me. If this was done in a buddies back yard I would have just sucked it up. This is a professional shop, I expect professional work, not runs, multiple fish eyes, lots of orange peel and clear coat over bad color sanding. Then to top it off the guy tried to hand me a lower fairing that was so loaded with flake that it turned from black to blue! What did he think I wouldn't notice?

Anyway, I took the nose fairing back today. Another guy in the shop had no issue acknowledging all the flaws I had on the nose fairing and said that he would have complained also. He told me to leave the fairing and he would ensure that it was done right. I also tod him that I didn't think it was fair that I had to supply more color but he insisted that the color would be on me. I folded and will send him another pint and let them have another whack at it.

If they screw it up the third time I will walk away and let a juge call the shots.

Fastfrog, thank you very much for the offer, I'll hit you up if I can't get the paint off the screens I have, S/T.

Thank's for the interest in my paint issue guy's. I do have all my receipts and I have a very flexable work schedule so small claims court is no big issue for me. If I worked a regular 9-5 m-f job a court case might not be worth the trouble. What pissed me off is that all I asked for is a simple 1-color paint job on two fairings that I had in hand, not the whole bike.

I would have delt with a few small belms but not the crap the guy tried to hand off to me. If this was done in a buddies back yard I would have just sucked it up. This is a professional shop, I expect professional work, not runs, multiple fish eyes, lots of orange peel and clear coat over bad color sanding. Then to top it off the guy tried to hand me a lower fairing that was so loaded with flake that it turned from black to blue! What did he think I wouldn't notice?

Anyway, I took the nose fairing back today. Another guy in the shop had no issue acknowledging all the flaws I had on the nose fairing and said that he would have complained also. He told me to leave the fairing and he would ensure that it was done right. I also tod him that I didn't think it was fair that I had to supply more color but he insisted that the color would be on me. I folded and will send him another pint and let them have another whack at it.

If they screw it up the third time I will walk away and let a juge call the shots.

Fastfrog, thank you very much for the offer, I'll hit you up if I can't get the paint off the screens I have, S/T.

Try a product called naked gun, or regular paint stripper from autozone.. Paint is freash so plain laquer thinner might work if you just let them soak

GSXcite replied:

"You can get a brand new lower fairing in a perfect color match with decals for around $350. The color on busas is VERY hard to make match ."

I thought he had a lot of nerve saying that but I just got lucky and got a great ebay deal on a brand new OEM lower fairing in my factory color with decal. $215 shiped to my door. I still think that it was an unusulal stroke of luck that Some one was selling a new panel in the right color at a great base price. I was even lucky'er that I didn't get into a biddig war and had the asking price jacked up sky high!

I / we would still like to know where a new panel can be found (all day long) for $350. Anyway, props to you GSXcite, all though I kink that I just got very lucky, there was truth in your words!

I have to say this again, "the Color Rite paint was a perfect color match!" It would still have been cheaper to repair (light rash) vs replace if the painter was worth his salt. I'm still goining to be on top of the the body shop to get the job done right! I need the nose fairing and must have a good paint job on the side panel to re-coupe some coin during re-sale.

BTW, today I seen a very nice 2007 blue left side fairing for $50 on craigs list. If you need that color get it quick. Now that's a somke'in deal!

Last edited:
You can attempt a small claims case. Most probable outcome is he won't show and you'll get a default judgment. Which means you still get nothing because they won't garnish over small claims. The flip side of the coin is he actually shows, argues he completed the work and your case gets tossed. Unless SPECIFICALLY outlined in the terms of your contract, the quality of the work can easily be deemed "within industry standards". It doesn't matter the work sucks, just that he did it. So it's not fraud.

I've been a painter for 21 years. I've done VERY high level show finishes. The key is prep and finish. The reason a good painter can get a perfect finish out of a barn is proper surface prep, work area prep and good color sanding and buffing. There is no such thing as paint without orange peel unless its been color sanded and buffed. Almost all paints now are activated catalyst paints. The orange peel develops during the curing process.

Good luck. I hope you get satisfaction.

:rofl: ive had a paint job done in a barn with a hay floor, 0 flaws. factory isnt flawless and a mediocre painter with a nice booth can do better than factory. you dont always get what you pay for either. painting is a talent. ive seen some of the nicest and most high tech shops turn out some shoddy work and guys with 20 years of painting in a garage do better.

yea, heres my paint work, I personally would never give back work like the guy mentioned, if it's not good enough for me, then why would I give them less.. word of mouth goes a long way..
the other two pics (green fender and tank on jigs) are about 1hr after they were cleared, untouched.. even when my work comes out super smooth it still gets cut and buffed..

these are two different bikes first 2 being a buel and the other 2 a honda..
and the last pic shows how picky I am. thats how a black paint job should shine.. no orange peel..

buell lightning1.jpg

buell lightning2.jpg

DSC07379.jpg

DSC07386.jpg

DSC07102.jpg

DSC01535.JPG

Last edited:
That black tank looks unreal!

I took a close look at a factory painted piece from my Busa. It does have some minor wavie'ness. Light orange peel? Thats not what I was trying to describe. If this jerk could have done just close to that it would have more than ment my expectations. The type of "orange peel" I was talking about on my crappy paint job is more like the surface of a golf ball!

The black paint work that 74Madvette produced is way beyond the expectations I would have for the price I paid! Awesome work brother, S/T.

BTW, the close'est 2-part (color/clear coat) paint formula match for the YAY I can find locally is Honda's "Night Hawk Black Pearl B92P." The paint chip that was shown to me looks to be a near perfect match. It's blue flake stands out more in the sun than the YAY but that can be reduced for a very close match. That will cost me $69.74 out the door vs about $135 for Color Rite paint shipped, just about half the price.

It makes me wonder why Color Rite seems to have the market locked down for factory paint formulas.

Last edited:
That black tank looks unreal!

I took a close look at a factory painted piece from my Busa. It does have some minor wavie'ness. Light orange peel? Thats not what I was trying to describe. If this jerk could have done just close to that it would have more than ment my expectations. The type of "orange peel" I was talking about on my crappy paint job is more like the surface of a golf ball!

The black paint work that 74Madvette produced is way beyond the expectations I would have for the price I paid! Awesome work brother, S/T.

BTW, the close'est 2-part (color/clear coat) paint formula match for the YAY I can find locally is Honda's "Night Hawk Black Pearl B92P." The paint chip that was shown to me looks to be a near perfect match. It's blue flake stands out more in the sun than the YAY but that can be reduced for a very close match. That will cost me $69.74 out the door vs about $135 for Color Rite paint shipped, just about half the price.

It makes me wonder why Color Rite seems to have the market locked down for factory paint formulas.

that paint "Night Hawk Black Pearl B92P I have a full quart.. real nice black.
I got it for my other bike, I done a few bikes that color.. that color looks awsome when it's in direct sunlight... here's a tank from an R1 i did..
also a two tone paint on a yamaha tank, also thanks for the compliments,
you got to make the customer happy, I always say..

DSC08116.jpg

DSC08117.jpg

000_0467.jpg

000_0470.jpg

2toned.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For any nay sayer's that insist that you can't reproduce a factory finish just look at the pic's above. It's hard to tell from a pic, but I'll bet that R1 tank (& the other one) is painted better than any factory job!

74Madvette, you have great tallent! This must be your profession? If not, you have one hell of a skill to fall back on for employment.

Last edited:
ran into all kinds of problems with the guy i had paid to paint my bike. Finally after trying to track him down (1month) I just decided to pick up my bike and spray it myself. Took all the materials he purchased(my deposit paid for it anyway) didnt get all the details I wanted in it but to me makes it more "special" that i did the work myself. plus I still get alot of compliments on it

here is another, just done, he wanted it to look like glass was put over the base, he got it.. thats some serious clear..

DSC08604.JPG

DSC08608.JPG

DSC08606.JPG

DSC08609.JPG

DSC08611.JPG

Back