paint help.

2006BusaTim

Registered
Well ive been tossing around the idea for a candy red paint job for awhile now. So now with tax time coming around I went to a local paint shop which I trust for a price quote.

He quoted me 1,000 I take parts off the bike for planet colors wild candy red. he said if I didnt know him he would have charged me close to 1800.

Now my question is the black pieces which are above the front fairings and next to the gas tank. if I get those painted will they crack when bent? Or is there a certain type of paint that I can have him use so that doesnt happen?

Also the frame, I was tossing around the idea of painting it black to go along with the red candy paint? But the painter said it would cost alot more due to the number of pieces etc. Do you guys reccomend this? I think it would look killer with the red candy.

any help would be appreciated!:thumbsup:

You need to talk to Revolution. He is a custom painter and could better advise.

thanks ttv.

i'm an airbrusher, i have a body shop do my prep/base colors etc. but this is what i know.

the pieces next to the tank are referred to as "inners". the painter needs to make sure he preps those pieces really good or they will crack and or lift [the paint lift off the plastic]. they should be made smooth by spraying with filler primer, sanded, and repeat until smooth, then painted.

if he knows what he's doing he'll make sure the temperature in the paint booth is at the right temperature for the paint he is using. this will affect adhesion. a "flex" additive works to allow the paint to bend some, but check for compatibility with the paint using.

if you paint the frame don't forget the swingarm too...

if the paint comes out good $1000 is a good price for the plastics. don't forget the two little pieces on the side of the tank with the same texture as the inners.

there are some good traditional/body shop painters on the board that will probably chime in. good luck! :beerchug:

Thanks for the advice guys.. Ill mention it to him and see what he says.. What to you think about the Plant Colors paint is it any good? Any ideas you have throw them at me im new to the paint world LOL :muscle:

I would say $1000 for a single color is a decent price if they do a very good job. For the inners, like Rev said have them smoothed. I've seen several not smoothed and the paint usually starts coming off those. As for a flex additive, I don't use one but I spray urethane and that allows quite a bit of flex on it's own. I've never painted a frame but I'd guess it would add a lot of cost, mostly labor. I don't know anything about Plant Colors, I use PPG products.

just trade it for an 07 burgandy with a black frame and your already there

I would say $1000 for a single color is a decent price if they do a very good job. For the inners, like Rev said have them smoothed. I've seen several not smoothed and the paint usually starts coming off those. As for a flex additive, I don't use one but I spray urethane and that allows quite a bit of flex on it's own. I've never painted a frame but I'd guess it would add a lot of cost, mostly labor. I don't know anything about Plant Colors, I use PPG products.

For the inners, I'd recommend using a flex agent even with urethane paints. Those panels get twisted around alot when removing/installing.

thanks ttv.

i'm an airbrusher, i have a body shop do my prep/base colors etc. but this is what i know.

the pieces next to the tank are referred to as "inners". the painter needs to make sure he preps those pieces really good or they will crack and or lift [the paint lift off the plastic]. they should be made smooth by spraying with filler primer, sanded, and repeat until smooth, then painted.

if he knows what he's doing he'll make sure the temperature in the paint booth is at the right temperature for the paint he is using. this will affect adhesion. a "flex" additive works to allow the paint to bend some, but check for compatibility with the paint using.

if you paint the frame don't forget the swingarm too...

if the paint comes out good $1000 is a good price for the plastics. don't forget the two little pieces on the side of the tank with the same texture as the inners.

there are some good traditional/body shop painters on the board that will probably chime in. good luck! :beerchug:

you could use high build primer, a few passes would probaly do it.. but I think if I were to paint the inners I wouldn't go the route of building it up with primer, thats the reason you'll get the cracking, when removing these parts for repairs ect.. what I would do is sand the inners, get them flat as possible. the less paint material on there the less likely they will crack.. I really dont think flex additive is really nessasary, if done properly... use a good high end paint for your bike.. $1000 for a paint job, acual cost of paint $75 (just guessing) I dont know how good the paint you mentioned is but i'll assume the least.. high end paint enough to paint the busa $300-350 or less depending where you are located.. but you mention a candy color, thats not really a solid color, same goes for pearls.. that would increase the cost of the paint job, more work is involved as well.. I favor Standox, it's a german paint... what your talking about is a lot of plastics and thats a lot of hours of prep work for a quality job.

prep work is expensive, but labor intensive. the cheapest i charge for airbrushing is $800, my body guy charges $1,200 to prep, base color, then clear over my artwork.

the prep guy would get more than me :laugh:

Thanks for all the info guys.. I haven't had a chance to get down to the painter yet and throw that idea at him. Ive decided to paint the frame/black and buy the chrome accents for the other pieces. Then possibly chrome wheels a lil father down the road.

I appreciate the help and Ill post pics through the entire process!

I painted my inners by building up the primer and sanding. After almost 2 years no problem :beerchug: need any help drop me a PM :beerchug:

Planet Color is Sherwinn Williams custom paint line. alot of people will knock sherwinn and say they are just house paint, but their automotive systems have a damn good match(their ultra 7000 series). I had about a year of shooting sherwinn. very impressed with it.

as far as the inners go, the booth temperature isnt going to play the major part of getting the primer to adhere to the plastic. bare plastics need an adhesion promotor to be sprayed over them. basically, they are treated just like any other raw plastic......sound familiar? Most all bumpers of cars are bare plastic when they arrive at the paint shop, unless they come already primed or aftermarket with their POS primer.

anywho, the inners need to be sanded first to remove some of the texture. spraying nothing but a high build primer over and over on those pieces to smooth them is going to give you too much material and it will crack.

after sanding, they'll spray the adhesion promotor and the primer. then they'll sand it down and reprime if necessary.

then comes the final sand, the sealer, the base, and the mid coat(candy), then clear.

I charge normally around 800 for a solid color on most motorcycles. and 1000 for two tones or candy jobs, and that includes me sanding and buffing everything out. i would jump on it if i were you if you know his work. I'm not an artist by any means, i've seen some of Revolutions work as i've browsed the board(you have some incredible skills btw man), I have been making my living painting cars for the past number of years.

let me know if you have any questions man. be more than happy to help

Back