Has anyone experienced this braking problem?

hayabusa vjt488

Registered
Hi guys,

I own a 1999 Hayabusa and I have a problem with the front brakes, problem is that these past months I've been bleeding the front brakes and after a while the brake lever goes all soft and I end up having to bleed them all over again. I changed my dot4 fluid just to be on the safe side because it wasn't leaking and even the brake pads. I have the braided pipeline system so it's not from the pipe either. I'm thinking of changing the master cylinder kit (washers etc..) because I can't figure out where this problem is coming from. It's funny but my mechanic said he knows of two other 'Busas' with this problem but still has no idea from where it's coming from. If anyone has come across this problem or has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Hi guys,

I own a 1999 Hayabusa and I have a problem with the front brakes, problem is that these past months I've been bleeding the front brakes and after a while the brake lever goes all soft and I end up having to bleed them all over again. I changed my dot4 fluid just to be on the safe side because it wasn't leaking and even the brake pads. I have the braided pipeline system so it's not from the pipe either. I'm thinking of changing the master cylinder kit (washers etc..) because I can't figure out where this problem is coming from. It's funny but my mechanic said he knows of two other 'Busas' with this problem but still has no idea from where it's coming from. If anyone has come across this problem or has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

When did you first notice it? Was it after a tire or wheel change?

I noticed it before I put the metzeler tyres on my busa... when I had the avon storm I had better breaking because the contact patch was bigger... but even back then I felt something wasn't right. Now I'm going to try and change the master cylinder kit and see what happens. Thanks for your interest.

Bent rotor it's not because I experienced that already with chinese ebay rotors (which came with the bike) and now I installed the original ones. Could be an air leak because there are no oil leaks :/

Thanks alot for your help and interest. I'll order it from my local dealer and I'll let you know when I install the new kit. Thanks again :)

OK, I changed my front MC with a new kit, installed on the bike and then started to bleed the brakes, nothing
happened. Pumped, bled for almost 2 hrs and the brakes are not grabbing.
Opened the pads and the pistons move when the lever is depressed, put them back and no luck.

Could there be an air leak somewhere? never had this before. I also replaced the clutch MC with a new kit as well and all went well after bleeding the system.

I'm guessing the banjo nut leak, is that a possibility? how tight should it be?

Yes check for brake fluid leaking but its possible to have air leaking into the system I think. ;}

Sounds like your sucking air from some where. I would replace all the crush washers completely,, DO NOT REUSE THEM

Back