Brakes and the problems with fluid contamination . .

Kiwi Rider

Registered
At work today we had a guy bring his 2014 Harley D. Night Train in for a service, W.oF check (safety check) and he said "can you sort the front brakes out, very soft and no stopping power".
The calipers are 6 piston billet alloy with stainless steel braided hoses.

I opened up the M/Cyl reservoir and took a look, orange coloured fluid and very nasty looking stuff!
The lever came all the way into the handle bar, and very soft feel.
Now, if you look closely at the cailper you may notice the position of the bleed nipple . . .
at the BOTTOM!!! I mean, WTF?? To bleed them I had to unbolt them from the fork legs and sit them on a stool with the bleed screw pointing upwards.
Yes, there was a fair amount of air bubbles in the lines, but the real problem was the pistons extending and retreating back around 2mm every time I squeezed the brake lever, this is the reason for the excessive lever travel, and lack of stopping power!
The cause is the piston seals being stuck to the piston.
Pull the lever, the pistons move out dragging the seal instead of passing through the seal and then dragging the piston back every time hydraulic pressure is released.
I decided to strip the calipers and have a look at what horrors may lie inside of them . . . given that the fluid was rusty water contaminated . . . . . . . just look at what I found.

So with a thoroughly good clean, and pistons all cleaned and examined, seal recesses cleaned out and seals checked and lubed, I reassembled them and refitted them to the brake hoses.
I then flushed heaps of fluid thru them and bled the air out.
Bolted them up the fork legs and pulled the lever . . YES!!! result!
The lever has a firm feel and only comes in about 30% of the way to the bar.
By the way, the pads are sintered and only about 20% worn, in good condition.
So, I hope anyone reading this thread has learned something here,
moral of the story . . Flush and bleed your brakes on a regular basis, once a year is good.

Here's a description of the piston seal "stiction" problem. . .

The brake system has a ratcheting action. Every time you apply the brakes, the pistons press the brake pad against the rotor creating friction which slows the bike down and also results in loss of material on the brake pad itself. This wearing process occurs slowly or else we would be changing pads daily instead of after thousands of miles. When the lever is released, the pressure is released and a set of springs and a little bit of vibration and bumping from the rotor cause the brake pads to push the pistons backward slightly to remove the friction from the rotor. As the pads get thinner from repeated brake application, the pistons slowly move out of the caliper over time so that the brake lever engages more or less at the same distance from the hand grip. This is the so-called ratcheting action of the hydraulic brake system. As this occurs, the level of hydraulic fluid in the brake reservoir will be dropping so maintenance top-ups are required.

Over time, dirt and brake dust coat the pistons in the brake caliper. Some of this dirt may work itself into the piston seal when the pistons retract a bit after brake application. Sometimes, instead of the piston sliding forward through the seal when the brakes are applied, the piston gets stuck to the seal and rolls the seal forward when the brake lever is pulled. When the brake lever is released, the seal restores its normal shape causing the piston to be pulled backward. The ratcheting action is lost. As the brakes wear, the piston gets further and further from the friction point. The result is that the brake lever activation point moves closer and closer to the handgrip.

The speed at which the piston retracts back into the caliper due to elastic action of the seal is quite slow so 2 quick pumps on the brake lever generally result in the pistons making contact with the pads, and the lever works at the correct distance from the handgrip. The reason pumping works is because the first pump moves the piston outward as much as the hydraulic fluid pushed into the system from the hand lever allows, and the second pump forces additional hydraulic fluid in behind the piston which moves it out to the pad and generates enough friction to stop the motorcycle.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, comments welcome :thumbsup:

Last edited:
the simplest way to correct this problem is to clean the pistons with brake cleaner while the caliper is on the bike. I recommend you try this first before you try the dis-assembly method which will be detailed next. All we are doing in the step is to try and remove as much dirt as possible to see if that fixes the problem. Access to the pistons is poor though.

Pump the brake lever until it is able to lock the wheel. The pistons should be extended as far as required under normal operation. If you don’t have a helper, maintain this pressure on the lever and use tape to hold the lever in the pressurized condition to keep the pistons extended. Then spray brake cleaner all around the outside of the pistons to displace as much dirt as possible.
Then release the brakes. Most likely you will see the pistons slowly retract back into the caliper over time – say 30 seconds or so. If you grab the lever and it sinks all the way back to the hand grip, repeat the cleaning process 3 or 4 times until the lever is firm and brakes are applied when the lever is far from the hand grip - the "as new" condition. At this point you are done and you have created a new ratcheting position for your brakes. Your brake lever will feel much firmer. If the lever starts sinking again over weeks and months of riding, repeat the process as needed.

If this doesn't work, you are going to need to go to the next level of correction which requires removal of the caliper from the bike to un-stick the pistons from the seals.

Are you serious Kiwi , that sort of bike ethic maintenance surely can only be found in uneducated motorcycle riding types !! You would not need to worry for warnings here on this forum , no Busa owner of any repute would neglect their brakes like that !! :thumbsup:

At work today we had a guy bring his 2014 Harley D. Night Train in for a service, W.oF check (safety check) and he said "can you sort the front brakes out, very soft and no stopping power".
The calipers are 6 piston billet alloy with stainless steel braided hoses.
View attachment 1599581
I opened up the M/Cyl reservoir and took a look, orange coloured fluid and very nasty looking stuff!
The lever came all the way into the handle bar, and very soft feel.
Now, if you look closely at the cailper you may notice the position of the bleed nipple . . .
at the BOTTOM!!! I mean, WTF?? To bleed them I had to unbolt them from the fork legs and sit them on a stool with the bleed screw pointing upwards.
Yes, there was a fair amount of air bubbles in the lines, but the real problem was the pistons extending and retreating back around 2mm every time I squeezed the brake lever, this is the reason for the excessive lever travel, and lack of stopping power!
The cause is the piston seals being stuck to the piston.
Pull the lever, the pistons move out dragging the seal instead of passing through the seal and then dragging the piston back every time hydraulic pressure is released.
I decided to strip the calipers and have a look at what horrors may lie inside of them . . . given that the fluid was rusty water contaminated . . . . . . . just look at what I found.

View attachment 1599582
View attachment 1599583
View attachment 1599584

View attachment 1599585

View attachment 1599586

View attachment 1599587

View attachment 1599588

View attachment 1599589

So with a thoroughly good clean, and pistons all cleaned and examined, seal recesses cleaned out and seals checked and lubed, I reassembled them and refitted them to the brake hoses.
I then flushed heaps of fluid thru them and bled the air out.
Bolted them up the fork legs and pulled the lever . . YES!!! result!
The lever has a firm feel and only comes in about 30% of the way to the bar.
By the way, the pads are sintered and only about 20% worn, in good condition.
So, I hope anyone reading this thread has learned something here,
moral of the story . . Flush and bleed your brakes on a regular basis, once a year is good.

Here's a description of the piston seal "stiction" problem. . .

The brake system has a ratcheting action. Every time you apply the brakes, the pistons press the brake pad against the rotor creating friction which slows the bike down and also results in loss of material on the brake pad itself. This wearing process occurs slowly or else we would be changing pads daily instead of after thousands of miles. When the lever is released, the pressure is released and a set of springs and a little bit of vibration and bumping from the rotor cause the brake pads to push the pistons backward slightly to remove the friction from the rotor. As the pads get thinner from repeated brake application, the pistons slowly move out of the caliper over time so that the brake lever engages more or less at the same distance from the hand grip. This is the so-called ratcheting action of the hydraulic brake system. As this occurs, the level of hydraulic fluid in the brake reservoir will be dropping so maintenance top-ups are required.

Over time, dirt and brake dust coat the pistons in the brake caliper. Some of this dirt may work itself into the piston seal when the pistons retract a bit after brake application. Sometimes, instead of the piston sliding forward through the seal when the brakes are applied, the piston gets stuck to the seal and rolls the seal forward when the brake lever is pulled. When the brake lever is released, the seal restores its normal shape causing the piston to be pulled backward. The ratcheting action is lost. As the brakes wear, the piston gets further and further from the friction point. The result is that the brake lever activation point moves closer and closer to the handgrip.

The speed at which the piston retracts back into the caliper due to elastic action of the seal is quite slow so 2 quick pumps on the brake lever generally result in the pistons making contact with the pads, and the lever works at the correct distance from the handgrip. The reason pumping works is because the first pump moves the piston outward as much as the hydraulic fluid pushed into the system from the hand lever allows, and the second pump forces additional hydraulic fluid in behind the piston which moves it out to the pad and generates enough friction to stop the motorcycle.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, comments welcome :thumbsup:
Sometimes I wish there was a law that allowed a license to be suspended if the owner neglected his bike so bad that it turned into a safety hazard to others on the road! Imagine this guy having to do some emergency braking with that brake system in the condition it was. :banghead:

Sadly many just leap aboard their bikes and ride not knowing anything other than how to operate the controls.

Same rings true with people with other motorized things...I know a guy who's had a lawn mower for 5 yrs and never changed the oil, he wondered why it has started to smoke and run like crap. I said I'd change the oil and what drained out of it was more like molasses. He never knew you could change the oil in a lawn mower.

Sadly many just leap aboard their bikes and ride not knowing anything other than how to operate the controls.

Same rings true with people with other motorized things...I know a guy who's had a lawn mower for 5 yrs and never changed the oil, he wondered why it has started to smoke and run like crap. I said I'd change the oil and what drained out of it was more like molasses. He never knew you could change the oil in a lawn mower.
Unfortunately, you are 100% correct on that. My girlfriend’s step dad has had the same mower since 2003 and has never changed the oil!!!! Grass has to be cut weekly down here during the rainy season in the summer, so who knows how many hours that poor thing has.

Nice write up! That’s what makes this sight great!
Thanks man, you are right, what makes this site great is the members take the time to post and give knowledge and wisdom gained from their experiences with bikes.
I'm a guy that has a ton of experience in the workshop with cars and bikes, so I'm wanting to pass it on and make a difference to someone's day.
If anyone has a question or needs help with a solution to a problem, just PM me, happy to help! :thumbsup:

Back