Harley Street Bob

OldMan

Registered
A coworker, against all my pleading bought a new Harely Street Bob. We went out for a short ride today, his second ride ever (first ride was from the dealer home). Anyhow, he's super cautious, staying within the speed limit... Anyway, I took it out for a quick spin and I was amazed, here are my observations.

One - The bike shakes from the motor, I know all Harelys do this but until you ride one you don't really understand the impact of this shaking. Now, I'm not talking about a vibration, this is an all out whole bike shaking that only lets up at cruising speeds, very obnoxious.

Two - the bike has a 96 cubic inch motor which I believe is about 1500 cc. The thing is an all out dog. It's just sluggish and non-responsive.

Three - ergonomics. My coworker was all against the forward leaning position of sports bikes and took a shot at the positioning of me on my busa whenever he could. After riding the Harley I couldn't beleive he felt that this ape hanger cruiser position was comfortable. to me the position I was sitting on the Street Bob made me slouch and my lower back would have certainly complaigned if I was on it for any length of time.

Four - I will compliment the balance of the bike, seemed that once you got moving the weight of the engine was in a position that afforded a fairly manuverable bike, however with the long rake, carving canyons is not something I would want to do on it.

Five - Power again, I was riding it on fairly flat road and when I attempted to open it up a bit, it was very resistant and felt as if it was being pushed hard to get up to speed. I don't know how they do it when they take their dates/wives, etc... with them and try climbing a grade. I can't imagine they have much passing power either.

I know this discussion has been posted over and over and has a lot of history, but until you have ridden one of these bikes you really don't appreciate the performace that is the busa.

Harley Street Bob.jpg

They are cool in their own way. They can be louder and like a lazy boy for body position with enough power to barely get out of your their way...their is little comparison to a sport bike. I'd rather have a sport bike and a cruiser than chopper and a bagger...variety might a slow bike.

Both my brother in law and a coworker of mine have street bobs. I've ridden both and I have similar sentiments about the bikes. I do appreciate the quality of construction though...

i am with you on the harleys.I find them to be a very clumbsy riding bike that shakes to all hell and just flat out doggie.I guess its a choice for those who like them.I to like the stretched feeling that I have on my busa.My back actually feels better riding home on my busa for 45 mins than driving in my car.

A coworker, against all my pleading bought a new Harely Street Bob. We went out for a short ride today, his second ride ever (first ride was from the dealer home). Anyhow, he's super cautious, staying within the speed limit... Anyway, I took it out for a quick spin and I was amazed, here are my observations.

One - The bike shakes from the motor, I know all Harelys do this but until you ride one you don't really understand the impact of this shaking. Now, I'm not talking about a vibration, this is an all out whole bike shaking that only lets up at cruising speeds, very obnoxious.

Two - the bike has a 96 cubic inch motor which I believe is about 1500 cc. The thing is an all out dog. It's just sluggish and non-responsive.

Three - ergonomics. My coworker was all against the forward leaning position of sports bikes and took a shot at the positioning of me on my busa whenever he could. After riding the Harley I couldn't beleive he felt that this ape hanger cruiser position was comfortable. to me the position I was sitting on the Street Bob made me slouch and my lower back would have certainly complaigned if I was on it for any length of time.

Four - I will compliment the balance of the bike, seemed that once you got moving the weight of the engine was in a position that afforded a fairly manuverable bike, however with the long rake, carving canyons is not something I would want to do on it.

Five - Power again, I was riding it on fairly flat road and when I attempted to open it up a bit, it was very resistant and felt as if it was being pushed hard to get up to speed. I don't know how they do it when they take their dates/wives, etc... with them and try climbing a grade. I can't imagine they have much passing power either.

I know this discussion has been posted over and over and has a lot of history, but until you have ridden one of these bikes you really don't appreciate the performace that is the busa.

Harley makes a "B" motor with a balance shaft, my Dyna is the same as the one you rode, no balance shaft; wait until you get to 100 mph, that is when the vibration really kicks in. That is part of a Harley and without the vibration Harley will sell a lot less bikes.

Don't compare the power to a Busa, but there is enough to stay with a new V8 Camaro 2up from the line. Ask me how I know.:laugh: There is actually too much power for the suspension and the brakes.

I would rather ride my Harley on the street any day than my 600 Gixxer and off course the Harley will never see a track.

Just as you would never see me on an American sports bike, you will never see me on a Japanese cruiser.

This I can honestly say, of all my bikes the Harley is the easiest to clean, the easiest to service and so far has needed the least service attention.

Nothing compares to a Busa, but we are talking about two very different type of bikes. After about 3 hours on the Busa, I need a break though. I can ride the Harley all day long.

OH MY EYES, how could you. This is going to cost me in Dr. bills.
I can`t stand Man Vibraters. The twins need their rest too.

Harley makes a "B" motor with a balance shaft, my Dyna is the same as the one you rode, no balance shaft; wait until you get to 100 mph, that is when the vibration really kicks in. That is part of a Harley and without the vibration Harley will sell a lot less bikes.

Don't compare the power to a Busa, but there is enough to stay with a new V8 Camaro 2up from the line. Ask me how I know.:laugh: There is actually too much power for the suspension and the brakes.

I would rather ride my Harley on the street any day than my 600 Gixxer and off course the Harley will never see a track.

Just as you would never see me on an American sports bike, you will never see me on a Japanese cruiser.

This I can honestly say, of all my bikes the Harley is the easiest to clean, the easiest to service and so far has needed the least service attention.

Nothing compares to a Busa, but we are talking about two very different type of bikes. After about 3 hours on the Busa, I need a break though. I can ride the Harley all day long.

Well said.:beerchug:

Looks cool :thumbsup:

Probably why they sell so well, if it was just a comfort, riding geometry issue they wouldn't sell so well. I sat on the FJR 1300 today and fell in love with it I could ride that thing all day and knight for many days in a row. The important thing is you enjoy your ride which I am sure he is. Different strokes for different folks it's all good:thumbsup:

I have ridden the Harley and the VTX and found the lack of response from the throttle completely unacceptable for street riding, but I know my freinds love their cruisers as much as I love my Busa

I rode a Harley Wednesday afternoon soft tail something or other and loved it but I like to be able to hit 160 when I feel the need so ill leave the Harley alone for a few more years
Posted via Mobile Device

I have been looking at the FJR1300's also.I like the look and the feel of them for an everyday riding bike.

I know what you mean. I was just on my buddys 96ci road king...total dog is right.

Every time I ride a Harley with less than 50k miles on it, every shift makes me cringe. The noise just makes you think you destroyed the transmission.

That said, they can be fun for an around town cruiser, or long trips. Then again, the StreetGlide, RoadGlide, Road King and ElectraGlide can't compare to a Goldwing. Pretty much leaves them to people who want the name, and people who recognize them for what they are; Great bar bikes. They look and sound cool, and you can use them to make friends with other riders.

Better than no bike at all by a long shot.

I used to work at a HD dealer. I took crap for riding the Busa, then we did a ride. They all know its king.

I had a soft tail custom with a 113 S&S . It was running 11-1 compression and the largest cam i could get in it. it was light for American iron at 600# it was fast never was beat by any vtwin vrod or anything like that icould stay close to a busa till about 3rd gear(mine not his he would just be going to 2 nd) but at about 100 mph it was like having a door slamed in my face. All in all they are not race engines they are prettymuch a high performance tractor motor. The shared crank design has been obsolete for at least 40 years. the degree of the v was inspired to run a wasted spark ignition which hasn't been necessary for at least 20 years. The combination of these two features creates a lot of vibration. I called my bike crack wh#$# because of it always beating it's self apart. I always thought if HD devotet just the profit from tshirt sales to R&D they could be a great performance mc again.

Back